Legal problems with school

dreamer28078

Feb 15, 2002
I recently took my kids out of school in Juan Dolio, the school was horrible with no regards to the parents or the students. It is an appaling place for a child to get an education. I would like to know what legal rights do I have concerning my kids report cards or their transcript. My children also need to take the spanish test to go on to the 9th grade. Also if you take your child out of school before the end of the year, do you have to pay the rest of the tution for the balance of the year. Thank you.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola dreamer28078!!!!!!

I'm gonig to move this to the Legal Forum.

DR1 has---
Members: 4,086, Threads: 22,763, Posts: 135,660

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Did you enroll your child in another school? I hope so because Grade 8 students must take national exams as a requirement to go on to Grade 9. If your child is not at school, I believe he cannot take the exams.

What happened at school? Were you current with your payments to the school when you took your kid out? Did the school refuse to give you his/her record?

dreamer28078

Feb 15, 2002
Problems with school

I took my kids out in May, and that very day I had finished paying for May. They sent a legal notice for me saying that I owe money to them. I called the lawyer and they did not know what the charges were for, I am waiting for their reply. My 11 year went to school there for almost 4 years, and learnt absoloutely nothing. He was promoted when he should not have been. He came home one day with a test that showed he made a 95, so I called him over and told him to read for me, he could only read three words. They play video tapes for the students, and the video tells the students what to do. I also had two Dominican children I was taking care of who spoke no english go there, their grades were between 80' and 90'. The teachers give test to the students, and if you don't pass you get the test again, and again till you pass. Several teachers are asked and prompted to change grades by the administration, or to place some kids on the honor roll. I could go on and on. The only reason I kept my kids in as long as I did because we had no choice. We live in Juan Dolio, and it is the only english speaking school.

Josue Collado

Jul 31, 2003
home.attbi.com
Re: Problems with school

dreamer28078 said:
I took my kids out in May, and that very day I had finished paying for May. They sent a legal notice for me saying that I owe money to them. I called the lawyer and they did not know what the charges were for, I am waiting for their reply. My 11 year went to school there for almost 4 years, and learnt absoloutely nothing. He was promoted when he should not have been. He came home one day with a test that showed he made a 95, so I called him over and told him to read for me, he could only read three words. They play video tapes for the students, and the video tells the students what to do. I also had two Dominican children I was taking care of who spoke no english go there, their grades were between 80' and 90'. The teachers give test to the students, and if you don't pass you get the test again, and again till you pass. Several teachers are asked and prompted to change grades by the administration, or to place some kids on the honor roll. I could go on and on. The only reason I kept my kids in as long as I did because we had no choice. We live in Juan Dolio, and it is the only english speaking school.
Your 11 year old went to school for almost 4 years and lerned nothing? Did you wait that long to realize it?

dreamer28078

Feb 15, 2002
Answer to my 11year old

I fought the whole time he was in the school, I even had a meeting with the pyscologist and the principal. I told them he should not be promoted because he did understand anything, they told me here its called social promotion. I took him out of the school for a while hoping I could find another school or get a private tutor. Eventually I put him back in because I did not have a choice at that moment. He was placed in a class called SNIPS, this program was supposed to help but it did not. My other kids told me the classes are horrible, all the kids do is play adn do whatever they want. The kids roll around on the floor, playing games. So yes I did realize what was going on except everytime I went to them they had an answer or they made it seem that the problem was being taken care of. My son has a problem with his reading and I did get a private tutor to come and tutor him in the afternoon, but when you fall behind and keep being placed in grades you do not belong then you have no idea where to start from. When they give exams they read the questions for them so if they don't read well, they don't have to. Yes I made a fuss about him to the school every opportunity I got.

dreamer28078

Feb 15, 2002
Answer to my 11year old

I fought the whole time he was in the school, I even had a meeting with the pyscologist and the principal. I told them he should not be promoted because he did not understand anything, they told me here its called social promotion. I took him out of the school for a while hoping I could find another school or get a private tutor. Eventually I put him back in because I did not have a choice at that moment. He was placed in a class called SNIPS, this program was supposed to help but it did not. My other kids told me the classes are horrible, all the kids do is play adn do whatever they want. The kids roll around on the floor, playing games. So yes I did realize what was going on except everytime I went to them they had an answer or they made it seem that the problem was being taken care of. My son has a problem with his reading and I did get a private tutor to come and tutor him in the afternoon, but when you fall behind and keep being placed in grades you do not belong then you have no idea where to start from. When they give exams they read the questions for them so if they don't read well, they don't have to. Yes I made a fuss about him to the school every opportunity I got.