How are things today?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
As if the increase in the family basket to $12,000 in a country with a minimum salary of $2700 were not enough, just listen to this:

-Several of the huge construction projects in Santo Domingo seem to have slowed down to a trickle. For instance, the glass tower at Avenida Lope de Vega across from Banco Popular was going at 200mph and all of the sudden the whole right side is missing, and the atrium looks the same for the entire last month. Likewise, Malecon Center seems to be as slow as Manny Ramirez running from home to first base. Has the funding run out?

-Yesterday, seven stores were taken over by the States Attorney and closed down at Plaza Central in a quick raid. Among them Tommy Hilfiger, Kikos, Tonos, and Lacoste. The owner of these stores, Luis Anton, has fallen in disgrace in the present financial chaos created by El Burro. Anton has fled the country rather than face reality. He was married to Mr. Tonos* daughter and now all the Tonos outlets may be confiscated. The employees of these stores, just like what happend to the Supermercado Asturias employees, were left with no paychecks or benefits. All these employees owed great deals of money to chimichurri owners in the Plaza sidewalks. The whole scene is depressing. This is like a chain reaction. Just think, the Tonos family has several children in the most expensive prep school, which just increased its tuition by 15%!!!

-The government and Indotel is in so much panic about the newspaper hackers that they have arrested a young guy by the name of Hamlet Paulus Montolio, a computer wizzard. They have kept this kid in the DNI jail for 15 days violating the 48hr. law, which calls for suspects of any crime having to be charged with a crime in that period, or be released. They have gone even farther, using the old police tactic of holding the mother and other family members to force confessions. This will be a dead end. Now the DNI has to charge him or let him go according to a fair judge. DARKNET lives!!!!!!!

-Donald Trump wants his $35,000 dollars!!!! Yes, he is pressing Amelia Vega to talk to our Miss Dominican Republic Pageant about her Miss Universe tuition fee, which has not been paid. I dont know where they are going to find the money, unless GUM girl Amelia takes part of her award money to pay it off, or some playboy who wants a piece of Amelia and would like to dish out the dollar debt. I have heard one guy in a RUM company, who just dumped one of the megadivas flat out on her ass because she talks too much and in my opinion is too fat, is pursuing Amelia. I doubt the GUM girl will go for Dominican skin, once she gets a taste of royalty and the world jet set.

-Ever heard of Carlos Batista Matos? This is the clownish talk show host of an afternoon program who boasts of beign the most refined, best dressed man in DR and he calls himself "El Hombre Mas Rico". Well, he just had open heart surgery at Corazones Unidos and Hippo indicated that he was going to use our tax money to pay his hospital bill. In the meantime, poor people have to bring their own cotton swabs, siringes and medicine to their hospital beds and many dying for lack of supplies for dialysis treatment.

-Panic is spreading all over television land in DR. More TV stations and programs will be closing and expensive personnel being let go. Telecentro is inches from closing down, specially if the expected exodus of their bread and butter programs takes place. Freddy Beras, Nuria Piera and Tania Baez of Hola Gente are up in arms over the censorship and lack of payments. These programs are owed as many as two months. The entire staff has not been paid in two weeks. I have mentioned before the other stations.
The new Hippo administrator at Telecentro has even taken charge of the luxurious Jaguar that was used for the former president. He claims he took the car because his own car is in the shop and he needs to get around.....full of leather!!!!

TW

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Golo - you have a way of putting things in English for me so that I understand better what is actually happening! Thank you. I find a lot of what I read I can't actually understand what is going on. You make it simple!

Keep it up.....

Darlene

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]golo[/B] said:
For instance, the glass tower at Avenida Lope de Vega across from Banco Popular was going at 200mph and all of the sudden the whole right side is missing, and the atrium looks the same for the entire last month.
What did you expect? That was to be the Baninter Tower AFAIK.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Re: Re: How are things today?

Pib said:
What did you expect? That was to be the Baninter Tower AFAIK.

Is that true? I still remember when they were digging that huge hole. Matter of fact, when I last saw it, it WAS a huge hole but not as deep due to the underground parking lot or whatever the hell they were building in there. Baninter sucks!

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Very true CC, makes me think of the song from Queen "Another One Bites the Dust" ..........

When I go down there, I bet it's gonna be a big change from the last time I went. Back then the Plaza Acropolis only had the mall open but no office spaces open yet. Right now anything short of overthrowing the people in power won't work. Man, I'll keep those of you that live in DR in my thoughts except for CC :laugh: :D :p :devious: he's a big man, he'll just run over whoever he doesn't like with the big defensas on his car...........just kidding CC

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
it has just taken me almost an hour to get to work from the city centre to the san isidro free zone.

they are throwing rocks and burning tyres on charles de galle near mirador del este.

normally, i would be peeved off with yet another traffic jam, but its good to know that at last there are some protests outside of the barrios in santo domingo.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Malecon Center

I always considered the Malecon Center to be the most egregious example of money laundering gone wild. What other explanation could there be for a project of its size in an already glutted commercial and residential real estate market? In practical terms, it is a real life fantasy because if even 50% of the space were leased the resulting traffic jams would choke off the western part of the city. There are only 4 lanes of roadway in the streets that surround the behemoth.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm with Arturo!!!

Every time I go downMaximo Gomez to the Malecon I put a "hex" on that project!!!! I turn right on the Malecon to get to "Vesuvio" for dinner.If that place evey became a reality it would be the last time I went to the Malecon!

I ddon't see it ever being finished,just like the 20 story "shell" to the left on the Malecon.That has been "under-construction" for about 15 years now I think!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccccccccccris C.:bandit:

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
20 story "shell" to the left on the Malecon.That has been "under-construction" for about 15 years now I think!!!

Wow, you mean they have not torn that place down. I was told that the building was constructed at a tilt and would have to be torn down.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Last time I drove past Malecon Center I noticed that the major international hotel chain's name (was it Hyatt?) on the hoarding had been painted over. Whoever it was has pulled out.

I used to live and work in the area and felt extremely sorry for the residents of the two small residential complexes which were choked by the construction noise and dust, and are now dwarfed by the towering monstrosity. I don't think anything came of their protests against the project.

Chiri

kagg43

Sep 4, 2002
its was going to be a crowne plaza at one time - not sure what its going to be now.

- as well the Tony Roma's ribs place hasnt opened