Living Together - Legal Status

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I've tried doing a search on this and came up with nothing, so forgive me if the question has been asked before.

I have heard varying periods of time quoted which are said to constitute the right to claim half of a partner's assets if a couple who have lived together then separate. These time periods range from 3 months to 3 years.

I have NO plans to get myself back in that situation in a hurry, but a number of people have asked me the question, and I am keen to know the definitive answer, having never been sure myself.

Can anyone help, please?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
From Mr. Guzman, DR1's legal expert:
There is no such thing as a "common law" wife in the Dominican Republic. Living together with a woman is never equivalent to a normal marriage.

However, certain provisions in the Labor Code, the Minors Code and the Criminal Code acknowledge that living together has legal consequences. For example, a worker has the right to a few days off work if his concubine gives birth to his child; domestic violence to a concubine is treated the same as domestic violence to a wife. Recently, on October 17, 2001, a Supreme Court decision gave a surviving concubine the right to sue for the wrongful death of her companion in an automobile accident under very restrictive conditions: a) the couple must have lived as if they were husband and wife, in a public relationship, not hidden or secret; b) the relationship must be stable and long-lasting; c) the relationship must be monogamous and non-adulterous since its origins ; and d) the couple should be of different sexes. The ruling goes on to say expressly that "marriage and extra matrimonial companionship are not . . equivalent realities?.

Also see:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16341&highlight=concubine

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
A bill has been recently introduced in Congress to create common law marriages. I doubt it will pass since the Catholic Church is dead set against it.

=====
I think that would only open a cam of worms. I remember in Santo Domingo people being married with one woman but living with the other....