Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Female President?

I'm what us Brits call a "Thatcherite". In Spanish "Thatcheriano".
    Growing up with the policies of monetarism, privatization, and self-help promoted by Margaret Thatcher (1979-1990).

Margaret Thatcher in my opinion was a great leader and changed the political landscape and Britain forever.

Females in power right now:

Latvia - President Vaira Vike-Freiberga
    Finland - President Tarja Halonen
    Bermuda - Prime Minister Jennifer Smith
    São Tomé and Príncipe - Prime Minister Maria das Neves
    New Zealand - Prime Minister Helen Clark
    Ireland - President Mary McAleese
    Sri Lanka - President Chandrika Kumaratunga
    Philippines - Presidnet Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
    Indonesia - President Megawati Sukarnoputri
    Peru - Prime Minister Beatriz Merino
    Panama - President Mireya Moscoso
    Bangladesh - Prime Minister Khaleda Zia

Is it time for the DR to have a female head of state?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe But who?

Is there a female qualified enough? Is there a female trustworthy enough?

Milagros? Don't make me laugh!

I know some woman will say that a woman would be better as president because they would be less corrupt. Well take a look at the list ladies. A few of those countries are hardly the bastions of freedom and morality that you envision.

I, personally would have no qualms about voting for a female if I agree with her politics but to vote for a female just because she is female is not only stupid but is sexist as well.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it time for the DR to have a female head of state?--Robert

Not sure I understand what you mean. I know much less about DR politics than most of the posters on here as I have been learning as I go along after my first visit to the country in Nov. 2001. As far as leaders of State go in general, I couldnt care less if my leader would be a man or a woman as long as they do a good job. Just like I couldnt care less if they are black, white, asain, etc. I dont see how it could "be time" for a female leader. I know I am speaking out of place because I am neither Dominican nor do I live there but I think the DR needs someone with morals, good values and someone who will present a good image at the throne.Someone who will preach a complete metamorphisis and lead by example. Someone who will gain and hold the respect of the populace from the wealthy to the poor and will have the best interests of the country as a whole in the foremost of their mind. Man, woman or what have you makes no difference.

Larry

BTW..I hated Maggie Thatcher
    Last edited by Larry; 07-26-2003 at 05:19 PM.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you about Milagros. To be honest, her name didn't even enter my head when I wrote the question

I guess my question was more aimed at females in DR politics and could they make an impression and real change?
    Is this too much of a macho society to allow a female to be head of state?

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Robert
    I agree with you about Milagros. To be honest, her name didn't even enter my head when I wrote the question
    Aw, c'mon, Rob, do you really expect us to believe that?!!! I mean, who besides Milagros among Dominican women has even a hint of a chance of becoming President in the near future? And you've lived long enough in the DR to have known that when you posed the question.

FYI, I use to pose this very question when I taught English writing at the Dominico 1996-97, in the section where we dealt with argumentative writing. Some of the men tried to argue with a straight face that they would indeed vote for a Dominican woman if she was capable enough and a real leader, but most of the Dominican males in the class were skeptical. More surprising to me were the Dominicanas in the class, most of whom said that while a Dominican woman should be electable (they mentioned Milagros in particular), they doubted it would ever happen in the DR. Some of the women even said that they themselves wouldn't vote for a woman. The argument most frequently cited was that a female President would not be taken seriously enough by the male-dominated military and male-dominated political machinery.
    Best Regards,
    Keith

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the DR is not ready for a women president - yet. The only advantage a woman would have over a male candidate would be her political views but that has no bearing on being elected here. Just look at the current head of state if you have any doubts about this.

This society is very ‘Machista’ in its views therefore women don’t have much going for them as candidate at this time. I don’t think that a female would easily gain the momentum needed to become president in the DR right now. The political games played here are male driven and I think there is little to no room for women in these sadistic political games. As an example look at the role Milagros has play in this administration. How does she ‘fit-in’ in the political arena? I know she is not the best example but she is the closes thing we have to a female president here.

I think that the education level here needs to rise significantly before a good candidate is elected. Women will becomes serious political candidates eventually but with the ‘male dominate everything ’ mentality prevalent here it will be a while before this becomes a reality. Everything else being equal, this country still lacks good female candidate that has the political wits, charisma and support from a major party to be a viable contender.

I stop rambling now

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked my aunt, who runs a large Dominican corporation, if she would ever consider running for president. She laughed and answered: " and ruin the family's reputation?"

I think the idea of a woman president being less corrupt, in a Dominican context, is a myth. Corruption is so ingrained in the political culture of the Dominican Republic that even under the best scenario, a mother Theresa type president, there is little that she could do to stop corruption. And if she pushed too hard, she would probably be overthrown.

As I write this, there is a rebelling going on in the Philippines against the president there. The rebels accuser her of leading a corrupt government. So go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. There is no proof that a female head of state has done a better or worse job than a male, despite all the feminist jokes about 'if women ran the world...'. Robert, Margaret Thatcher would be close to the top of my list of examples to illustrate this statement.

In the case of the DR, I don't think that the country is any more traditional or macho than some of the countries that have already had women as their head of state. Take Pakistan and Benazir Bhutto, India and Indhira Gandhi, Sri Lanka and Bandaranaike (sp?).

In some places the tendency is to see the woman as a mother - or even grandmother - figure (Israel's Golda Meir, Nicaragua's Violeta Chamorro). In others you have the tragic widow figure: Cory Aquino (Philippines) Isabel Peron (Argentina) Violeta Chamorro (again). It could happen here. Peggy Cabral? Then again she couldn't even win the municipal election.

On the other hand, perhaps the fact that not that many women choose to enter the murky world of politics is a testament to their integrity (like DCfred's aunt) rather than a case of sexual discrimination.

Chiri
    Last edited by Chirimoya; 07-27-2003 at 09:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Probably not yet.

It will take some time for the DR to mature enough. If the US hasn't done it, then it won't happen here....Monkey see, monkey do Complex.....

There are a few women out there that might be very good: Licelot Marte is one, Marisol Vicens, Elenita Viyella is another. The very important factor is what DRFred said: "What??! And ruin the family name??"

That alone keeps a lot of fine people out of politics..After all, the politicos got an 84% Negitive Rating just last week....

HB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I always supported a Qualified person,sex not important!

In a country like the DR a woman might be a way to innitiate change.Only a mother thinks about making the really difficult sacrifices for the future of her children!As a young boy,I never understood why my mother gave the chiken breast to me,when I knew that it was her "favorite" piece!I do Now!!!! One of many "Lessons Learned" from "Mom"!Dad taught me to "Never Start Something That You Don't Intend To Finish"!,and "A Job Worth Doing,Is A Job Worth Doing Well"!.....Hey,maybe "I" should be President!!! ..........."Nah!",lets just wait for one of my DAUGHTERS!!!!
    Cris Colon,"Mejorando El Politico"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast