Help! Going to Samana from Puerto Rico

obiuno

Jan 2, 2002
Dear friends,

I have a friend in Puerto Rico that wishes to stay in a Resort in Samana. The problem is that there are not direct regular connections between San Juan and the Arroyo Barril airport.

I've been told that the best option if to travel to one of the mayor airports and take Metro bus. Metro bus only travels to samana from Santo Domingo and is a 4 hours trip. This is not practical for my friend. I've alson been told that the best option if flying to puerto plata and taking a bus to samana (they say is a 1 hour trip.. is that true?).

I'll apreciate if anyone can provide information about bus lines that travel between puerto plata an samana (phone number, web site if available).

Thanks,

Obi

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, it is not 1 hour. From Puerto Plata to Samana by Caribe Tour is about 4 hours; 3.5 hours from Sosua. This bus leaves Puerto Plata at 7 am, Sosua at 7:30. There is only one bus, so your friend would have to spend the night in Puerto Plata or Sosua.

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
He can fly from San Juan to Santo Domingo and take a bus from Santo Domingo to Samana some reviews:

Caribe Tours = 5 a day to Saman?
Metro Tours = unknown
Transporte Samana / Samana Tours = 7 to 9 a day
Transporte Las Terrenas Express = 2 to 3 a day (Las Terrenas, Saman?)

Last edited:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Why doesn't your friend look around San Juan for one of the tour operators that is offering tour packages to Samana resorts? That way your friend will fly directly into Samana's Arroyo Barril airport on a charter flight and stay at one of the big resorts that is part of the package. Arroyo Barril isn't more than 45 minutes from anywhere on the peninsula. These packages have been offered for about 6 to 8 months now. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the Puerto Rican tour company but if you will do a search through the DR1 archives I'll bet you'll find it.

Jan 1, 2002
the best

1. Fly from San Juan to Puerto Plata only American Eagle AT7 fly in the route, later he take the caribe tours bus directo to samana from puerto plata via sosua and sanchez, check in caribetours.com.do

2. take a flight from san juan to santo domingo-herrera by air santo domingo, and take a flight to el portillo airport
from herrera exist many direct flight to el portillo, same regulars.

3. Take a flight to Punta Cana, and other to El Portillo.

check in

aerodomca.com
or call to caribair, sap o other charters company with fly to Arroyo Barril or Portillo.