Dominican baseball players quick to scream "racism"!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
This appears to be a developing and disturbing trend. When Sammy Sosa had his imfamous corked bat incident a few months ago Pedro Martinez quickly came out and complained that Sammy was being scrutinized because he was "Dominican" and that if Mark McGuire or Cal Ripken Jr had done the same thing it would not be considered a big deal because they are white. Unbelieveable. All baseball fans remember when a reporter saw a bottle of andro in McGuires locker a few years ago. They tried to crucify him and andro was LEGAL. No comparison to having a corked bat.This was not the first time Pedro has complained that Dominicans are discriminated against.

Recnetly Raul Mondesi was playing for the yankees and was traded for horribly unsportsmanlike behavior. He was pinch hit for and threw a tantrum and left the stadium refusing to remain and cheer on his teamates. Absolutely unheard of. He then refused to take the team charter to California and made his own way there. Upon arrival he learned he had been traded. Today I read statements in the paper where he laments that he was treated unfairly because he is a Dominican. I watch EVERY yankee game and I have witnessed Raul exhibit Chopo like behavior on a regular basis. The team put up with this and up with his lack of dicipline at the plate. His trade was due to his out and out disrespect for his team and his manager. Being Dominican has nothing to do with it and I find it cheap and sad when people have to resort to crying racism because they refuse to accept the penalties for their actions.

The Dominican baseball players are absolutely tremendous athletes. It is such a pleasure to watch them play but it really disturbs me to see them behave like this. They go from poverty to making 20 million dollars per year and cry that they are being discriminated against. They walk around trying to present some kind of tigre image but all I see are a bunch of pathetetic babies.

Larry

Last edited:

The Dominican baseball players are absolutely tremendous athletes. It is such a pleasure to watch them play but it really disturbs me to see them behave like this. They go from poverty to making 20 million dollars per year and cry that they are being discriminated against. They walk around trying to present some kind of tigre image but all I see are a bunch of pathetetic babies.

That is the problem , they do not know better then to cry wolf. I agree they are tremendous athletes but given the almighty dollar and they tend to go astray along with the help of their many tag alongs chopo friends.

Seems to happen to a lot of high profile players in many sports, from rags to riches, then next it is jail.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Larry, I think it has more to do with their up- bringing. Have you ever heard a Dominican male say "I was wrong" or I screwed up? Never. Always "it was fixed", "he screwed me" or "Mafia". Always easier to point a finger. Kind of funny- on the plane in March, a dominican tried to go into first class to use the bathroom but was stopped by a steward. After being told he had to use the economy bano, the man said "that's racism". Didn't want to hear that he didn't pay the money to be in first class, just blamed the flight att. for "screwing" him.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I have heard Dominican men say " I was wrong" in the past.

I often question who the hell some of you associate yourselves with because all I end up reading are ignorant comments like the one above.

As far as the Mondesi situation, what a shame. This guy has so much talent but is a knucklehead. Why any team would want him is beyond reasoning. Hs can hit his 30 HR but he will always be a pain in the ass.

Instead of realizing he has problems, he blames racism and even includes Soriano the comments saying that Soriano is also treated badly.

Best thing the yankess did was get rid of him.

Larry right on the money with Mondesi and Sammy.

RandyE, chill with the generalizations.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Right cmedina. I didnt go into what Mondesi said about Soriano but he said that Soriano was descrimated against by being moved around in the batting order when he was slumping when Giambi (a white player) had not been moved from his spot. I think you have to take into consideration that Giambi is an MVP winner and was suffering from an eye infection at the time he was slumping and Soriano is still a developing player. Anyway, Soriano replied to Mondesi's comments by saying he dosent think he is descriminated against at all. Why would a manager manage a game based on race anyway when all he wants to do is win? Baseball is a buisness and an owner or manager always do what they think will help the team win. period. Race is not an issue.

In regards to Pedros comments about the was Sosa was treated when he was caught cheating I think Sosa got off easy. You never hear of it anymore. Remember what happened to Pete Rose (white). He was one of the greatest hitters to ever lived and he was banished from baseball for betting on games (still never proven) when he was a manager. Just goes to show that the penalty fits the crime and race is not an issue.

Larry

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
aand,I have seen fish that "FLY" too,but damn few!!!!

I supervise dozens of Dominican workers here in Santo Domingo.Admitedly they are from the poor,less educated class,but,I have N-E-V-E-R heard them admit to wrong doing in 8 years!!!! It is N-E-V-E-R their fault!!!!!!!!!
As has been said,the ball players are from this same group,so what do you expect? 20 million dollars a year doesn't make you a gentleman,only rich!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
true indeed guys.

Larry, Giambi is also more likely to take a walk which I think is why Torre left him in the same slot.

Mondesi is an idiot who knows he has a guaranteed contract and has no self control. What he did was wrong period. You don't bitch like a little baby when you are pulled from a game.

Look at Darryl Strawberry...howe many chances did the yankees give him? Steinbrenner was quoted that he would like to help Daryll by offering him a job in the future once he cleans up( for the hundredth time).

As far as Sosa, he is an idiot. You can pay all these guys all the money in the world an they will never have class.

he gets caught with a corked bat and what does he say? he was using it for batting practice because he fans love seeing the ball go far. another words, he deliberately deceived the fans by using a corked bat during practice.

we come to find out, that they have not had batting practice open to the public for a while in Wrigley.

I wonder if if they feel discriminated when they get their paychecks.

CC, you hit it on the money. I remember you saying that from your experience, it is always one of three things.

1 . " No Fui yo"
2. " El me dijo que lo haga"
3. " Todo el mundo lo haces" lol

it was something similar to that
;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
See What I Mean?,("a lot of ignorance here eh?)

Now of what possible benefit is that statement???It adds absolutely "NADA" to the thread! It only shows that you have nothing to contribute,want people to notice you,and have fallen into the "Dominican Reponse Mode",in this case,attack the messenger,not the message! So predictable!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcris

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I like how Vladimir Guerrero plays baseball and behaves on and off the field. I have not heard of this guy getting himself into any mess.

When asked about playing for Montreal, he said he loves it. He said he enjoys living there also. He is very low key and does not live for the spot light.

Whe asked if her would be in an Expo uniform next year, he said he hopes so. He also said that if he cannot come to an agreement with MOntreal, he would like to have a serious talk with his mom to see what she has to say about where he should play.

His mom currently lives with him in Montreal. Almost every baseball source you hear about says that she will ahve an influence on whether or not he stays or leaves.

As far as Mondesi, I wonder how long it will take Arizona to realize what a headache he is. I wonder who he will be playing for next year. The problem with this clown is that he must not realize that he is hurting his market value by being this way, then again, he might not even know what market value is.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Originally posted by cmedina07

As far as Mondesi, I wonder how long it will take Arizona to realize what a headache he is. I wonder who he will be playing for next year. The problem with this clown is that he must not realize that he is hurting his market value by being this way, then again, he might not even know what market value is. [/B]

I was watching yesterdays highlights (and lowlights) on sportcenter this morning and there he was! Raul Mondesi in an Arizona Diamondbacks uniform! He looks completely different now that he is not wwith the yankees. He has a big goatee and two huge diamond earings..one in each ear (forbidden to have excessive jewlery or facil hair when on yankees). He is completely Chopoed out now. I guess he couldnt wait to put all this jewlery on in an obvious bid for attention. Anyway he was going back for a routine fly ball and tried to nonchalant it by using one hand and "pop", it fell right out of his glove for an error and he looked like an ass. To him looking "cool" is all that matters I guess. Good riddence Raul. Now you are Arizonas headache. King Chopo!

Larry

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
it goes to you Mr. Criss since we Dominicans are so predictable, do you live with the aforementioned baseball player to agree with such coments? you are ridicoulus.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I saw it too.

This guys ear lobes are falling off due to the heavy diamonds he has on. He will clash sooner or later with someone there

mark my words

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
they just have learned from American black players that when you get in trouble you assume the victim role and scream racism, never taking responsibility for your actions

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
cmedina07 what's up with you? My opinions are "ignorant generalizations" but CC's comments are right on the money? Who do I hang around with while there- obviously not the Domincan upper crust. Take a valium.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
RandyE said:
cmedina07 what's up with you? My opinions are "ignorant generalizations" but CC's comments are right on the money? Who do I hang around with while there- obviously not the Domincan upper crust. Take a valium.

CC was talking about his experiences with who he has dealt with and clearly stated it while you on the other hand....know the rest!

Take a valium? I'll leave thedrugs to you..no wonder you are making these comments. ;)

Anyway, I was reading today that Mondesi actually asked to be traded. When the yankees GM Cashman was asked to comment he said that he does not respond to "nonsense"

sounds like they are happy to have dealt away that pain in the ass

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
No, I don't know the rest. My observations seemed to have been backed up by a resident but I'm full of it? Don't want to mess this thread up any more than it is so I won't post on it again- and you can go back to moderating your 'tard forum.