New tax on hotel rooms?

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Is this new 5% tax on exports going to be tacked onto occupied hotel rooms as well? I can't believe Hipolito would be that crazy! Tourists are already paying 22% taxes on top of their hotel room bill now. If the above is true, then this would amount to 27% in taxes on a tourist for spending a night in the D.R. I read a reference to this in dominicanrepublic.com news, 8/12/03. Can anyone verify this additional tax?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
22% ? Really?

kingofdice said:
Tourists are already paying 22% taxes on top of their hotel room bill now.

I pay 12% ITBIS for my hotel once the proprietor started to charge it which was some time after the ITBIS was in place. I have not heard of 22% for hotel taxes.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
12% was the rate in May

just like ricktoronto stated. Some hotel owners will even "forgive" the 12% ITBIS if you pay cash. :)

Swede

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Quite true

Cash (US$ of course) can change both the room rate and the tax rate remarkably if you ask.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
22% refers to the ITBIS and 10% for Impuestos or something of that nature. When I have stayed at the Jaragua or the Dominican Fiesta, I get 22% extra in taxes added to my bill. Yes, I have paid barrelhead cash at small hotels in Boca Chica and avoided taxes altogether, but if you are staying the bigger resorts, you are going to get clobbered.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Ley 10% = Tips

kingofdice said:
22% refers to the ITBIS and 10% for Impuestos or something of that nature. When I have stayed at the Jaragua or the Dominican Fiesta, I get 22% extra in taxes added to my bill. Yes, I have paid barrelhead cash at small hotels in Boca Chica and avoided taxes altogether, but if you are staying the bigger resorts, you are going to get clobbered.

Usually that 10% is the gratuity , this is the first time I have heard of a hotel adding tips to the bill at that rate. Restaurants you see it 1/2 the time.