i have a Question

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Question for HB?

I am a Citizen of the U.S., if i marry my fiance in the D.R. how long will it take to get an American Visa for travelling purposes, not a Green card we're going to be living in the D.R.

Another Question for HB?

Taxes Taxes! How much do we pay the I.R.S. while living in another country?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What is the source of the money that may be subject to tax? Is it investments in the US, from employment in the US? From employment by a Dominican company? From an American Company?

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
ERICKXSON said:
Ken i was told that if you had a job or your own business in the DR and you were an American you had to pay the I.R.S. regardless, is that true?
Pretty much, yes. If you are a U.S. citizen you are a slave for life. Seriously. No matter where the income comes from, no matter if your Bosnian wife is just giving you in-kind income like a room and food. Pay it! There are some exemptions, last I checked up to like the first $50K or $75K of income. If you didn't retrun to the US in the calendar yaer - or, get this - FLY OVER U.S. territory. So if you fly from POP to LON over Puerto Rico? Fuugeddaboutit! Pay the man! Only Libya on this planet has taxes like this. C'est la vie!

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
About 5+ years

ERICKXSON said:
I am a Citizen of the U.S., if i marry my fiance in the D.R. how long will it take to get an American Visa for travelling purposes, not a Green card we're going to be living in the D.R.

I'm not HB nor do I work for "la migra", but I believe the time requirements are same as they used to be. I am also a US citizen who married a Dominican girl long ago.

Your marriage will get her a green card which will enable her to reside in the USA. Have to have 5 years residing in US to qualify for citizenship, plus pass the civics test, take the loyalty oath, etc.

During these "interim" years she will probably need to travel on her Dominican passport to countries that require a visa. If no visa required, then the green card will suffice.

Click on the link below for more complete info:

BCIS - Naturalization

That's probably not the answer you wanted, but that's the way it is. :(

Swede

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
US TAxes

Remember you have to FILE an Income Tax form. Yes that is very important. Always do that. But that is different from wheather you owe them money.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]XanaduRanch[/B] said:
Pretty much, yes. If you are a U.S. citizen you are a slave for life. Seriously. No matter where the income comes from, no matter if your Bosnian wife is just giving you in-kind income like a room and food. Pay it! There are some exemptions, last I checked up to like the first $50K or $75K of income. If you didn't retrun to the US in the calendar yaer - or, get this - FLY OVER U.S. territory. So if you fly from POP to LON over Puerto Rico? Fuugeddaboutit! Pay the man! Only Libya on this planet has taxes like this. C'est la vie!
W.O.W.! That's like... till death do us part. :confused: