starting a business, counseling center

Fred Gurule

Aug 14, 2003
What about starting a couseling center for families which would include marriage, substance abuse, communications, Anger control, domestic violence, etc.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
If you start it they will come...

Hey I may be your first client...dragging my husband in that is.....:) LOL Pam

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If its free, maybe

Fred Gurule said:
What about starting a couseling center for families which would include marriage, substance abuse, communications, Anger control, domestic violence, etc.

Do you expect them to pay you for the service, or get the male 1/2 of an abusing relationship to come at all? Dream on.

Unless you are thinking ex-pats then maybe though I would not sell the family farm to make that play in the DR either.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Hmmmm

Marriage: They are here... they exist... nobody talks about them.

Substance Abuse: Here the only abuse is if YOU DO NOT DRINK (like me)... then you are accused of not contributing to the dominican economy! As for drugs... nobody is going to admit it if they do it, not here. Besides AA is free!

Communications: Unsure what this means, but dominicans have no problems communicating. My in-laws love to COMMUNICATE!!! For awhile I thought my name was cabron in spanish....

Anger Control: Hmmmm.... well the chances of taking road rage away are slim to none here...

Domestic Violence: Now a shelter might be good for this, but you will not make any money from it, and then you are going to get every man, woman and child that is homeless coming in saying that they are a victim of domestic violence.

Not to shoot you down... this was a sincere thought.... but unless you are doing it as a hobby or for fun or do not need to make money, I would hang that idea up.

Jigglebelly

Aug 12, 2003

You know what just might work? Speculating in an area I know nothing about. Maybe a marrige counseling retreat marketed to those in the US and Canada. A theraputic vacation of sorts.?

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Well Jigglebelly you are Brilliant!!

That is a great idea and this person had better start that up to make his fortune since the locals are obviously not into counseling..I am married to one so I have some knowlege of that! I think a counseling "retreat" for married couples to attend will make Good $$ as a vacation/Therapy resort..If works on TV (Fantasy Island type deal...)so it sounds like a great idea! I hit myself on top of the head for not thinking of that one! Now if I can just sell this $%^#&@*^^$% place here in Ga I could check it out for myself! LOL :) Pam

Jigglebelly

Aug 12, 2003
You are far too kind Pam! (shucks)
If I were brilliant I would have kept the suggestion to myself and started a retreat of my own.;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A dominicana once posted on DR1 that...............

.....if your dominican husband/boyfriend punches you in the mouth,it means that he is "un-happy"!

"Anger-Control" in the DR means that you hit you wife where you aimed!!!!

Public Drunkeness,is worn like a badge of honour here!!!!!

A dominican man would NEVER go to counseling,HE would not have a problem!! Not "Macho"!!

Dominicans "Love" their children,they just don't know how to take care of,educate, or protect them,by American/European standards!They yell at the kids a lot,and are quick to give them a slap on the head.But you will never read a story here about kids being chained in a room with no food or water,or burned with cigarrettes.They grow up well adjusted ,by dominican standards,and don't became "Mass Murderers" like Americans do! So which is better,rich and well educated,who torture,and become Serial Killers,or poor, ignorant,drunk and happy??? Damned if I know!!! Cris Colon:confused:

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Once again CC you have a valid point!

You are right about the Domincan men and the way they treat the kids...It is weird as an American but is the way they know..Mine is not a drinker but I am in the US...He yells alot and has no clue about many things with kids but I assure you my son listens to him when he talks unlike me he ignores! :) More great info with a comical twist from CC! I am surprized XR has not chimed in on this one....Where are you Tom? :) Pam