Bringing Big Dogs to DR..

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Well I know the archives is full of info on bringing dogs to the DR. It is an easy process a small or normal dog at American Airlines is $50 with Health certificate..But my problem is my "Sophia" is a Great Pyrenees who weighs 135 pounds and American Airlines said she can not travel! Has to be 100 lbs with the crate! No diet could make her that small...Any ideas guys? Anyone had a large dog shipped or recommend a cargo company that may "Haul" her for me? She is a love, I hate to leave her behind..Besides she is the only dog that comes running when I yell OYE' (sp?) LOL :) Pam

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Good luck on that one! Thank goodness you chose 'oye.'
Keep looking. Mention that your family is moving house, and she's a part of your family. Try to make it up the chain of command. Try another airline. Wow. I didn't know they made 'em that big.
mk

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
AA WILL DO IT

With enough griping AA will do it. Are you a frequent flyer? Do you fly with them often? AA has many guidelines and if you are a frequent customer they are willing to bend for you, youjust have to work the chain of command.

1) My friend brought here Akita to Australia (118 pounds without the crate)

2) My Brother in Law was told at check in on the flight from DCA to SDQ that he could not bring his daughter to my wedding, because he did not have a notarized letter from her mother. After 45 minutes of me calling the right people he was allowed to pass right through. 30 of us flew from the US for my wedding on AA... they were more than accomodating.

AA is accomodating and will... they just have to think they could lose a valued customer!

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Dog on a diet...

Well I think I am going to try to ship the dog FED EX. The horses that came for Pan AM Games were shipped Fed Ex from Miami which is where I will be flying from.(THANKS KAY!!) I will go that route. I never fly on AA so I am not a frequent flier nor do I care to make 100 phone calls to bend anyones rules..too much stress :)...I will let you know what Fed Ex says. That is also what the AA rep told me to do. "Call a cargo company" Sophie is my goat dog who is also big enough to intimidate anyone who wants to come into my yard...Until she puts her feet on your shoulders and slobbers on you...:) Big baby dog! Thanks guys! Pam

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Big Dog

Try a PM to GJSUK on this forum, they've just brought down 2 big dogs, not as big as yours -- but........
You could also try those private charter fliers out of Florida - I believe someone just left with 3 dogs and 17 cats(!!!) and they used Air Florida(?) at a cost of US$5000 for all that and the family! GJSUK may remember the actual name of the charter?
Good luck with flying the BEAST!!!

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
The Beast may be coming to a village near you soon...:)

Will PM them now to see what they did with their dogs. I just figured the Airlines would charge more for a larger dog...not tell me they can not ship over 100 pounds...Thanks! Pam

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
we bought our 2 Akitas in last week on American from JFK to POP. One weighs 95lbs and the other 98lbs with the crates they were both over 120lbs.
The only hassle we had was with the forecast temperatures at both ends but managed to persuade the very helpful lady at JFK.
Check out www.aacargo.com for all the info. You will need their ConfirmedFS service.
good luck