residence and move of household goods

elvzolano

Aug 19, 2003
Hi, I am a venezuelan, married to a dominican and have been living in the US for five years. We are thinking of moving to the DR by year-end and would like to take our furniture and other household goods to the DR. My wife has already moved from the US to the DR once and used her tax exemption that time.

1. If we wanted to move our stuff in my wife's name without paying import duties, is there a record on whether you have used your exemption or not? If that does not work...

2. How do I get my residence (within 3 months) before moving there so that I can take my stuff there without paying duties, given that I am renting an apt. and don't have where to leave my things once I move out.

3. We have had a first talk with a mover here and they don't seem to know anything about the exemption. Who do we talk to or how do we actually get the things into the DR without paying taxes?

Any help would be very much appreciated it.

elvzolano

Last edited:

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
There was an earlier thread on this subject a few months ago too.
We got our lawyer to obtain a letter from immigration stating that we had applied for residency - we took this to customs and got the required exemption.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Peter & Alex are correct. You should apply for your provisional residency, have your medical tests done and obtain a certification from the Immigration Department stating your application is in process.