How to Number New Condominium Rules

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio, your explanation as to how deleted rules are handled was very helpful. Now I have the opposite question: how do you handle new rules?

To illustrate, suppose there are 100 articles that are numbered sequentially 1-100. The articles are divided into 5 sections of 20 articles each. 1-20 are about the assembly, 21-40 are about the administrator, etc.

Suppose in the future we wanted to add an article on the administrator. There is already a 41 on another subject. Where would the new article be put and how would it be numbered?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are you Fabio?

I know the next rule is probably 101, but what, if anything, can be done to make it part of the appropriate section.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thought of that, but need to be certain it is done right. The condominium rules (Spanish version) is a significant legal document and I want to be certain it is in the proper form.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Most word processing programs have an outline feature that will do most of the numbering for you.
1.1.1 etc.
Most technical documents are done this way.
mk

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, mkohn, but that isn't going to work in this case. The condominium rules are already in existence. The rules are numbered sequentially, and divided into different topic areas. For example, rules 1-20 pertain to topic A, 21-40 pertain to topic B, etc. My question is what do we do if we want to add another rule to the topic A section. I know we can't renumber, changing present rule #21 to #22 so that we can have 21 rules in the topic A section. We could, if there were 100 rules, make the new rule 101. But that would seem to put it in a section where it doesn't belong.

If it were left to me, I could come up with a solution. However, since the condo rules is a significant legal document, it is important that the addition of rules to the original document be done in the way that is consistent with other legal documents in the DR.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Simple Method

You have 100 rules initially

5 Sections if you will A - E

For A Use 1-30 (initially 1-20 will be used)
For B 31-60 (initially 31-50 will be used)

etc.

Use 150 # for 100 rules leaves 10 free numbers per section for later use. If you think there are a lot, use 1-200 initially, 40 for A, B, C, etc.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, it isn't simple. The set of rules being added to has been in existence since 1985. The creation of sections, assignment of rules to sections, and the numbering arrangement was decided on then. There are no blank spots for new rules in the various sections.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
addendum..

Ken, we'll see what Fabio comes up with but what's the bet that it will be something like "Addendum to Section bla bla" and will start at 1 again?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Didn't anybody write down how the numbering was decided?
Maybe the first rule you add should be a new definable numbering system.
Even if you use the alpahbet, you can use the Lotus/Excel spreadsheet example.
A....Z
AA...AZ
BA...BZ etc.
That gives letters for a lot of future rules.
mk

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This was in the mid-1980s and in the Dominican Republic. No Excel or Lotus spread sheets in sight. The rules were numbered sequentially starting with 1.

We can't just scrap the old numbers and start over again, just like we can't reuse the number of a rule that has been deleted. The number must stay with the note that the rule was abrogated by the assembly.

I'm sure there must be a correct way of handling new (additional) rules; Fabio will tell us what it is.

Lisselot

Aug 29, 2003
Well, I've been working in an important Law Firm in Santiago for the latest 6 years now. What we usually do in these cases is insert a "Paragraph".

For example, if the new text belongs to article 41, then at the end of that article we write a "Paragraph", and if more clauses need to be added, they we use to number the paragraph like this: Paragraph I, Paragraph II...

Lisselot

Aug 29, 2003
I understood you wanted to add a new clause concerning one of the existing topics.

If the topic is new, I do not see any problem in adding a 101 article. But if it is related to one of the existing articles, I'd insert a paragraph.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What I want to know is how to number a new article/rule and how to put it with the other articles/rules on the same topic.

The "problem" is that after the authors of the condominium rules had written the rules and grouped them into sections, they numbered all of the rules seguentially. So that 1-20, for example, have to do with the Administrator, 21-40 have to do with the Owners, and 81-100 have to do with the Reserve Fund. Now let's suppose we want to add a new rule having to do with the Administrator. Do we make it 101 and put it at the end of the group on the Administrator, so that it is between 20 and 21? Do we put it after 100 so that it seems to be about the Reserve Fund?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Ken, if the addition is connected to an existing article, Lisselot's suggestion is correct: you usually add Paragraphs (I, II, III ...) under the related article.

If the addition is something not connected to an existing article but somehow related to a Section, then if the last article in that Section is 40, you add an Article 40-bis to the Regulations. If two articles need to be added, then you would number them 40-bis and 40-ter.

Numbering the article 101 and placing it at the end of the text is usually not done because what you find there are general provisions usually totally unrelated to the matter at hand.