Don't come storming into my house

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Heres my opinion for anyone who cares...
When you meet someone new and you enter their home. You do not walk in putting them and their things down. Saying" you should move that sofa over there", "gosh your coloring sceme is terrible" You get to know the people and after your friends maybe you can make suggestion to better improve their home but without hurting feelings or putting them down by what you say.
Respect for other people. Is the key.
As I see it, this is home to many people. Our own little puter home. We live here, we have many friends here. We may not all agree with eachother and we have the right to say so. But we got to know eachother a little before we start trying to move things around. Also we respect what others say even if we don't agree. Family can fight but a new comer has to take it easy and get to know the family first.
So please you new people, when you come to our home, where all are welcome. Enter with respect. Take it easy. Relax. Get to know us a little. Then feel free to join in the bickering, the putdowns, and the fun.
We may not all agree but I feel we here are a family, funny looking, opinionated, sometimes down right ugly, but family.
So welcome, but have a little respect.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most people do follow your suggestions Jan!

The vast majority of those who come to the DR1 Website,& Forums are here to learn,ask questions,relay information,be entertained,have a laugh or 3,express opinions,and have a good time too! The "Ones" you are talking about want no part of your way.They are here,and lots of other places too,for themselves! They are "grandstanding",yelling "Fire" in the theater,"Look Ma No Hands!"They never last long! The "Latest One" will soon be on to look for more fertile pastures as well.Just be patient a little while longer,the "Moth" is about to "Fly into the FLAME"!! cc

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Well said, Jan!

But a little etiquette? This guy not only flunked charm school, he closed it down!

Tom (aka XR)

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Jan said:
Thanks...just trying to remind the new people that don't seem to know a little etiquette and how it works without being to harsh and without mentioning names.

Jan,

You forgot the 1st rule of etiquette!
Never point out a persons lack of etiquette!
So I guess I am guilty as well.

As much as I disagree with Itsynder and Diabloroja and all of their types I must admit they did breath new life into this board.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Let me get this straight, if your a senior poster

Jan said:
So please you new people, when you come to our home, where all are welcome. Enter with respect. Take it easy. Relax. Get to know us a little. Then feel free to join in the bickering, the putdowns, and the fun.
We may not all agree but I feel we here are a family, funny looking, opinionated, sometimes down right ugly, but family.
So welcome, but have a little respect.

you don't need to abide by this rule? have you read how some of the regulars come across this boad?

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
THANK YOU!

The new people get shot down right and left..Believe me I get many emails from "Lurkers" who would not DARE to post ANYTHING for fear of a hurtful BS filled answer..So the new people are trying to get info sometimes they come off wrong..but most new people are not BAD enough to get the hatefilled responses some dish out..You would be amazed at how many women PM me or email me to say they think it is good that I stand up to the men on this DR1 forum..You would never say anything about new people if you knew how many read but do not dare to ask a question...:( Pam

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Pam, please. Regulars here can be rude. But rarely does this happen to new folks because they're new. It's because they've jumped in here to spew without realizing that that DR1'ers expect you to be able to back up the BS if you're going to come in here and start slinging it around.

Go back through all the newbie posts and you'll see that the vast majority were welcomed with open arms and very little of what you describe. And 99% of the ones that did get blasted brought it on themselves and derserved it.

I guess the thread got deleted, but here's my response to AZB suggesting everyone leave Diablaroja alone:

AZB You Know Better Than That!

She got jumped on because she came in here cross-posting the same BS to 8 different forums. And like a true liberal was completely unable and unwilling to back up any of the arguments or even attempt to debate them. Not because of the looney communist rants. I mean when's the last time you ever used the word 'hegemony'? She squeezed it into about 20 different posts in 3 days! I am glad to see she's actually toned it down to almost halfway rational. We'll see if the trend continues.

I have no tolerance for people who just come in here and spew no matter what the political leaning. I have no tolerance at all for them in real life either. You get in my face baby and you'd better come prepared, know what your talking about, and actually listen so you can defend your position.

Otherwise, take a hike, or be civil.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Most people, newbie's included, get back exactly what they dish out. You don't have to stand up to the 'men', you simply have to stand on your own feet. Goodness, all of us get posts deleted. All of us make silly comments and get ribbed for it... What's the problem?

I drafted a "brilliant" reply to AZB's post this morning, but when I pushed the 'submit' button, the thread was not there any more. Whaaaaaaa! I'm now insulted - I'm gonna cry - I won't post any longer - I'll go away - this is bad.... Dr1 is treating me bad! --- The 'men' are treating me unfairly --- and you know what the DR1 collective response will be ? "Don't let the door hit you on your way out". And correctly so! Are we adults or what? Get a life! An internet bulletin board is not a life!

Last edited:

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
it goes beyond that sometimes chris

Chris said:
Most people, newbie's included, get back exactly what they dish out. You don't have to stand up to the 'men', you simply have to stand on your own feet. Goodness, all of us get posts deleted. All of us make silly comments and get ribbed for it... What's the problem?

I drafted a "brilliant" reply to AZB's post this morning, but when I pushed the 'submit' button, the thread was not there any more. Whaaaaaaa! I'm now insulted - I'm gonna cry - I won't post any longer - I'll go away - this is bad.... Dr1 is treating me bad! --- The 'men' are treating me unfairly --- and you know what the DR1 collective response will be ? "Don't let the door hit you on your way out". And correctly so! Are we adults or what?

Sometimes is quite ugly, please don't play it down. Favortism? I don't know but it happens. I'm not saying some newbies don't deserve what they get, but there are a lot of rude people on this board.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Chris you're so funny.
The other day I had to delete one Chris's posts due to deletion of previous posts and therefore hers would not have made sense so having great respect for this women I emailed her to tell her the reason. You know what she said?

Anna if you have to delete then delete don't worry about it.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sorry Forbeca, I was editing while you were already replying.

You know, I've lurked on this board for a time. And I've been posting for only about a year now. In all this time, I've had only two people rude to me. The one issue we sorted out on e-mail off-line (it was truly a misunderstanding) and the other was simpy a flake - and no harm done there.

Sometimes people get rumbunctious (is this how you spell it) and you would usually see one of the regulars go back to that person and put forward a different perspective, especially if it is a newby that is posting.

I guess I agree with Jan, if one comes into a new place, perhaps it is best to look around and figure out what is happening, before you try and re-arrange the place. Overall, I think that people help more people on this board, than any other board I've experienced.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Everyone is "WELCOME" on the "General Stuff Forum"!

"Did You Know?".............ALL the Moderators on DR1 were born at night!....But it was not "Last Night"!

You have to take a "test"to be a Moderator on DR!The test combines an "IQ" test,with a "Current Events test",a Dominican Republic History test,and a "Human Relations " test!

If you "Fail" all the "tests",you are put on a "waiting List" of people who want to be Moderators!

Even though I "failed" all the tests on several occasions,I still had to wait for an opening to become available!

Anyone who aspires to become a DR1 Moderator,I suggest you study the work of the current moderators,and get your name on the waiting list as soon as you can!

"Oh",and start exercising your index finger,you will need it to push the "Delete" button!

:speechles :rolleyes: :paranoid: :devious: CC

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Everyone is "WELCOME" on the "General Stuff Forum"!

Criss Colon said:
[BAnyone who aspires to become a DR1 Moderator,I suggest you study the work of the current moderators,and get your name on the waiting list as soon as you can!

No need for new moderators, you guys are doing just fine ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
delete free zone!

Wow CC - you had me speechless there for a second - and then another poster e-mailed and told me I'm stuck on post 666 and I better post something quick - naturally Diablorojo came to mind....

Staying somewhat within the context of this thread --- I am a little concerned also about the treatment that liberals generally get on the board. There is quite an anti-us backlash throughout the world at the moment and it seems as if most liberal thinkers latch onto this - and look for a place where they can.. uhm ... "spread the gospel" so to speak. The group on this board, also seems to be quite independent thinkers and not at all slow to 'shout their odds'. This makes for an explosive 'flame-war' situation.

I do think our last round of liberals (Diablo included) got quite a raw deal. I think they deserved it mostly because of the way that they introduced their topics - and not because of the subject matter. There is much merit in discussing for example the effect of globalization on the DR at the moment and the historical effects as a result of US occupation 40 years ago. This stuff is quite relevant with WTO meetings in Cancun right at the moment. (yeah! I know, I'll go to DR debates for this)

So, Forbeca, I agree with you but on a slighly different level. And Diablorojo (if you are still monitoring), I do think if you tone it down a little, and focus on the issue instead of the country, you'll get a much better reception.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As a great American used to say,"Let me say this about that!

First,since I have no "Real Job",I read virtually every post on all the DR1 Forums!!! I get the "Big Picture" of all the posters.Con Artists,Phoneys,Bull Shit Artists,and Self Important Pricks,"Stand Out"(get it, "Pricks","Stand Out"?)when you see them in the total DR1 context!A "Self Proclaimed Liberal Communist" is seen in a different light,when he says that, "Dark skinned Cuban men are more likely to beat women than Cubans of a higher class"(see mars /venus forum,re: CUBAN MEN)or "I am pure Spanish","This is my last post!"etc! Do a "Search" of anyone and you will see,over time,the "True Nature of the Beast"! Don't be seduced by one post that mirrors your perspective.You have to watch the entire race to see who comes across the finish line as a "winner"!
ccccccccccccccccccc