Cellular roaming in DR

H

Herschel York

US phones must be programed in the DR. Roaming does not work. Check with either codetel or tricom down there. They can program your phone while you wait . If you have a dual MaN phone... so much the better.

C

cris

Does any one from Canada or US used their cellular phone in DR ? Does Codetel provide service for forigners if they have celular phones with analog system (AMPS) ?

J

Jim Hinsch

I used my USA cell-phone in Punta Cana and La Romana on Wednesday, and used it in the USA that same night. My phone is not programmed for use in the DR. All that is needed for outgoing calls is a calling card for use with cell phones and available everywhere.

You'll find lots of info about using cell phones in the DR in the message archives as this subject has been discussed at great length in the past.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

J

John

Jim: will be going to DR in near future. Not sure how this calling card you mention works. i.e. charges etc. Could you explain further. P.S. Have read much of your input on this board and have found it to be very informative and helpful. Respect your knowledge of the DR. Thanks.

J

Jim Hinsch

If you have a cellular phone that is compatible with the systems in the United States and Canada, you can use your phone when on vacation in the Dominican Republic. There are two companies offering services as follows:

Tricom.

Option 1 ? purchase the Tricom Cellcard for about US$20. To place your call, you dial the number you want + a PIN number associated with the card. Your Cellcard will be debited at about US$0.53/min. for calls in the DR and at about US$0.85/min. for calls to the USA. This option is good for outgoing calls only. You cannot receive calls using this option. Keep in mind that Tricom is the ?A? type carrier and Codetel is the ?B? type carrier. You will need to know how to make your phone roam to the ?A? type carrier if it does not already do this in order to use this option. This service began March 1998,

Cards can be purchased throughout, even in many colmados and supermarkets.

Option 2 ? Purchase the Amigo pre-paid calling card in increments of about US$14, US$34, or US$67. Take your phone to one of the Tricom principal offices (currently located in Santo Domingo, San Pedro de Macoris, and Santiago and soon to open other locations including Boca Chica, Puerto Plata, La Romana, and Bavaro) and pay about US$28 to have it programmed with a new phone number in the second NAM location on your phone (so the primary NAM will still have your other phone number programmed when you return home). The per minute charges are US$0.43/min for calls in the DR and US$?.??/min. for calls to the USA, but now you can also RECEIVE calls as well as make them. The cost to RECEIVE calls is FREE! Keep in mind that Tricom is the ?A? type carrier and Codetel is the ?B? type carrier. You will need to program your phone to roam to the ?A? type carrier if it does not already do this and to use the second NAM in order to use this option. The programmers at Tricom can show you how to alter these settings. This service began July 1997.

Codetel. Codetel offers a card that says something like Cellular Facil. Purchase the card, set your phone for carrier B, dial 311, send, and the secret card number, then your phone number to be called. I found some of the newer area codes in the USA cannot be reached with this call as recently as last week (May 1999) though.

Another option is to go to a programming office and pay US$133 and sign some forms. You will be given a new phone number in the second NAM location on your phone (so the primary NAM will still have your other phone number programmed when you return home). Your phone will then be activated for use in the DR for both making and receiving calls. Keep in mind that Tricom is the ?A? type carrier and Codetel is the ?B? type carrier. You will need to program your phone to roam to the ?B? type carrier if it does not already do this and to use the second NAM in order to use this option. The programmers at Codetel can show you how to alter these settings. The per minute cost for calls within the DR is about US$1.27/min. and US$?.??/min. for calls to the USA. Codetel does not offer an option that does not require cellular phone programming.

Another option is that they rent cellular phones at the airport and major Codetel and Tricom call centers along with wall and auto chargers for RD$20/day (US$1.26/day). Incoming and outgoing calls cost RD$16/min (US$1.01/min), plus tolls for long distance (long distance within the DR is not extra), with airtime charges reduced by 50% while calling long distance.

Visit their sites at http://www.tricom.net/ and http://www.codetel.net.do/. Keep in bind that only Tricom's card will let you call 800 numbers using the International Toll free 880 number.

JimHinsch@CSI.COM

N

NewT

I've bought those cards in the past and they worked well for me. I have had trouble finding them since. The last place I asked for one was at the calling place at the airport. Are they sold at colmados possibly?

Thanks

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Cellular roaming in DR - where to buy the cell phone cards

They can be bought at some of the colmados, supermercados, the codetel calling center, and at tricom calling center (behind the Don Juan). I stick with the cellcard though, which I've only been able to find in Santo Domingo and I arrange to have a couple waiting for me before I arrive on each trip. They also sell them at the codetel office at the airport where they rent the cell phones. In Punta Cana last week, I bought them at the pharmacy. You can E-mail mercadeo.celular@tricom.net to get information about specific locations where the cellcard is sold.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

D

DR One

Re: Cellular roaming in DR - where to buy the cell phone cards

The card can be purchased at Bon ice cream shops, also.