House flies.

C

Canadian Bob

I have noticed something very strange! In all the Colmados (tiny stores in the barrios) they hang a small sealed plastic bag filled with water from the ceiling "to keep the house flies out". Does anyone have a (rational) explanation why this works??!! By the way, it does work! Come on you rocket scientists!! Waiting for your reply, Bob.

M

MarlyF

Bob:

Maybe they put something sweet in the water to attract the flies or the flies are just stupid. Am I now a qualified rocket scientist?

Marly

C

Canadian Bob

Dear Marly F. You don't qualify, sorry, but you do get a free trip inside the dry moat in Fort San Felipe, P.Plata. (The bags are sealed.) Latest explanation is that the flies see a huge magnified reflection of themselves which scares them away! I wonder if a bigger water bag could be used to scare off robbers? UFOs?! Keep those answers coming eh! Canadian Bob.

M

MarlyF

Bob:

Your a funny guy. Did you ever think Bob before they sealed the bags that they may have put something sweet in them and they have extra strength sense of smell? The moat idea in PP doesn't appeal to me, BUT the Bavaro Palace in Punta Cana does!! I'm going in less than 3 weeks. Can't wait.

Oh by the way Bob, I'm Canadian too. I say eh lots and eat back bacon. Ha! Ha!

Marly F

P.S. If you have any more good "trivia questions" feel free to ask. If I can't be a rocket scientist I wanna be the next best thing!!!!!!

N

Norman

You hang the plastic bag next to some garlic. The bag of water is to keep out the flies the garlic keeps out vampires. The second part works because there hasn't been a single vampire in my place since I hung the garlic. I couldn't see the plastic bag for all the flies around it. If in doubt ask your brujo.

C

Canadian Bob

Dear Canadian Norman, I loved your response! Vampires eh! Keep your stick on the ice. My research may be terminated soon as there is a Government move afoot to stop the distribution of the water bags as they are apparently unsanitary.... Maybe because of the flies!!? All the best, Canadian Bob.

T

Tom

Are those the same "Sugar water" bags they sll on the street? If so, that would certainly explain why the flies collect on them

Tom

C

Canadian Bob

Dear Tom, no, these are just plain drinking water! Canadian Bob

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: sugar water on the streets?

I've never seen sugar water sold, but I have bought plastic bags of water to drink on the street, and at the exit gate while leaving the Santo Domingo Airport for 1 peso. Have you bought sugar water on the street?

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

T

Tom

Re: sugar water on the streets?

>>>>Have you bought sugar water on the street?

Jim

Quite often on the North Coast. Problem is, it's never very cold and of dubious quality.

Tom