studying spanish

D

DR One

Contact Entrena at Tel. 541-4283 or Lengua y Cultura, Tel. 682-8986

M

Michael

Has anyone had any luck with Spanish schools in DR or in Latin America?

I'm a business professional who is going to take off a couple months to learn Spanish. I want to stay there for about a month, and would also want to go out and enjoy the nightlife/cultural experience.

Any suggestions?

Michael

R

RAMON SANTOS

Cualquier persona que quiera aprender espanol escribame y yo le ayudare

D

Danny Stone

After trying some in-home tutors and doing research on other available language schools I chose Entrena. I completed two month-long intensive sessions this winter and I was very pleased with the results. ENTRENA is my recommendation.

J

Jim Hinsch

I suggest starting with cassette tapes in your car where words and phrases are spoken in English, then multiple times in Spanish (available at many book stores and on the net). Listen to each tape over and over again until you know it cold before going on to the next tape.

When you start to listen to the more advanced tapes that include past and present tenses, try watching Spanish soap operas and listening to Spanish radio stations. Then find a pen pal that knows English and Spanish well. Write 1 or 2 page letters in English, then translate them to Spanish. Send both versions to your friend and ask for corrections. After a while, you'll be writing them directly in Spanish. Reading and writing the language does wonders vs. just listening and speaking.

Then make your trip. It will be much more productive. Keep your new language skills fine tuned with frequent phone calls to someone that speaks Spanish (that you meet on your trip). In addition to picking up a Spanish to English dictionary, buy the book "501 Spanish verbs" (Kendris, ISBN 0-8120-9282-1). It has 501 verbs fully conjugated every which way possible and will be a valuable resource. Also pick up "The Oxford Minireference Spanish Grammer". It explains lots about the way Spanish is spoken that never seems to get explained in other courses.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

M

Michael

Thanks. I'm going to do some work by myself and perhaps with a tutor, and then hopefully make my way to a school in the next few months. I'll definitely check out the school you suggest.

R,

Michael