Nutmeg drink

el Saraceno

Oct 5, 2003
I put this in the other general (travel) forum by accident so i thought i'd move it here.

Hi, i was wondering if anybody might be able to tell me about this drink.

My ex-boss and friend used to make this for us at the restaurant where i worked everyday before we'd start working. He told me it was a popular drink down there (perhaps other Carib countries too, i don't know) and that they had stands that would sell it ( i think thats what he said). It has different effects on everybody, sometimes it's even dangerous. He told me it was like an afrodisiac for him , for me it feels more like i am high on something. It was really quite disgusting because it had so much nutmeg in it (he would grate between 3-6 nutmegs for every batch he made which would be consumed by just me and him) , but the effects were so interesting i'd always have one.

Some of you guys must be familiar with this, no? Does the drink have some kind of name?

el Saraceno

el Saraceno

Oct 5, 2003
hahaaaaaa, i walked into that one!

Fortunately for me, later in the evening his wife would come into work, at the peak of his nutmeg high

bobnoxious

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 2, 2002
I think it's called a ShitShake...

Here's some information about your interesting passtime. Jeez, what some people will do to get stoned.

Nutmeg
Family: Myristicaceae
Genus: Myristica
Species: fragrans
Usage: 5-20 grams of ground nutmeg is ingested. Fresh ground is best. Can also be taken in a "space paste" concoction (see below). Space paste is difficult/expensive to make and tastes like shit; however, it may actually decrease the side effects.

Effects: Possible nausea during first hour; may cause vomiting or diarrhea in isolated cases. Takes anywhere from one to five hours for effects to set in. Then expect severe cottonmouth, flushing of skin, severely bloodshot eyes, dilated pupils. Personally I compare it to a very, very heavy hash buzz. "Intense sedation". Impaired speech and motor functions. Hallucinations uncommon in average (5-10 gm) doses. Generally followed by long, deep, almost coma-like sleep (expect 16 hours of sleep afterward) and feelings of lethargy after sleep. May cause constipation, water retention. Safrole is carcinogenic and toxic to the liver.

The bottom line is this: when using an MAO inhibiting drug, don't ingest anything that contains potentially dangerous amines, or any other MAO inhibitor. If a substance is listed as an MAO inhibitor here, it may be dangerous when used in combination with any of the following substances:

sedatives
tranquilizers
antihistamines
narcotics
alcohol
amphetamines (even diet pills)
asarone
nutmeg
macromerine
ephedrine
dill oil
parsley oil
wild fennel oil
cocoa
coffee (or any substance that contains large amounts of caffeine)
aged cheeses
any tyrosine-containing food
any other MAO inhibitor

Active Constituents: Methylenedioxy-substituted compounds: myristicin (non-amine precursor of 3-methoxy-4,5-methylenedioxyamphetamine [M-MDA]) elemicin, and safrole.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Sounds like someone I know...

My ex-boss and friend used to make this for us at the restaurant where i worked...
His initials weren't JM, were they?

If so, I worked there too.....

el Saraceno

Oct 5, 2003
Re: I think it's called a ShitShake...

Well thats what it tasted like.

Wow, thanks for the info. I don't see any connection to the DR mentioned though, hmmmm....

] Effects: Possible nausea during first hour; may cause vomiting or diarrhea in isolated cases. Takes anywhere from one to five hours for effects to set in. Then expect severe cottonmouth, flushing of skin, severely bloodshot eyes, dilated pupils. Personally I compare it to a very, very heavy hash buzz. "Intense sedation". Impaired speech and motor functions. Hallucinations uncommon in average (5-10 gm) doses. Generally followed by long, deep, almost coma-like sleep (expect 16 hours of sleep afterward) and feelings of lethargy after sleep. May cause constipation, water retention. Safrole is carcinogenic and toxic to the liver.

These are almost the exact effects too, minus the vomiting and diarrhea

The bottom line is this: when using an MAO inhibiting drug, don't ingest anything that contains potentially dangerous amines, or any other MAO inhibitor. If a substance is listed as an MAO inhibitor here, it may be dangerous when used in combination with any of the following substances:

sedatives
tranquilizers
antihistamines
narcotics
alcohol
amphetamines (even diet pills)
asarone
nutmeg
macromerine
ephedrine
dill oil
parsley oil
wild fennel oil
cocoa
coffee (or any substance that contains large amounts of caffeine)
aged cheeses
any tyrosine-containing food
any other MAO inhibitor

Geez, its a wonder we are still alive. He mixed chocolate syrup in with the drink to make it more "palatable" and then during the course of a work night we would drink several beers, Marghertia's, etc.

kissing the ground

el Saraceno

el Saraceno

Oct 5, 2003
Re: Sounds like someone I know...

Jane J. said:
His initials weren't JM, were they?

If so, I worked there too.....

No Jane.Depending on the last name he was using on any given week, the initials would change, but definitely not those

But maybe you can tell us some stories about JM...........

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
about the nutmeg

As far as I know, the use of nutmeg in DR is very limited : some people use small portions of ground nutmeg with coffe , others use it with "Arroz con leche" that would be a sweet meal made of rice cooked with milk, some cinnamon sticks and some lemon's peel, people use to spread a small portion of ground nutmeg over the surface to add flavor.....well I don't recall any other use(Dominican cuisine is a PIB skill!)....BTW: I believe most dominican males think that mixing ground nutmeg with coffee is actually " an erection inhibitor rather than an aphrodisiac." :bandit:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Yes, they also use it in arroz con leche, but it isn't commonly used like cinnamon, that's in almost everything sweet.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
You cant loose!!

So, in theory, if I drink enough Ponche Navide?o I'll either get high or get smashed drunk!!Its a win win situation!!!!

bobnoxious

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 2, 2002
Just go down any street and look for a stand selling refreshments. Tell them you'd like the "Bebido de Excremento" and you'll get hooked up. Everyone's hip to the Nutmeg trip. It's so legal and yet so incredibly "counter-culture". I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't shit their pants for a chance to experience the joy of this "trip". Enjoy yourself!!!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
The nutmeg drink is called "la caguaza", according to my husband. I don't know that it makes you sick - he says no, and I've never tried it.

el Saraceno

Oct 5, 2003
Thanks for the responses everybody.

Its never made me sick, but certain people seem to have a stronger reaction than others, so drink it at your own peril. Like somebody already said, for me it was always just the shock value i got knowing a perfectly legal and readily available kitchen ingredient could make you feel so crazy, but i can't really say that its a really fantastic experience or anything, its just wierd! The next morning you wake up feeling like you've been runover by a steam roller!