Is this a good time to buy a house?

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
I was wondering if you see guys that this is a good time for invest in a urbanization..We owe a construction firm and a client came to us to build mid-class houses like 30 or so , the price range will be like 1.5 to 2.0 million . My question is to you as customer, will you get a property in this moment? . I just want to know your appreciation, even though we?re making a market research. But I don?t want that the client loose money or stop him to make a few millions for my advice.... Help me out please...
PS. I know that the investor have one mind and the people who actually are gonna live in the property have another point of view. ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Lissa, where will the houses be located? Am I correct that the client is thinking of the Dominican market rather than foreign buyers?

If the Dominican market, I'm surprised he is thinking of investing so much at a time with the DR economy is in the pits and so many people are out of work or in danger of losing their jobs. According to AZB's recent posts on conditions in Santo Domingo, even many upper class families are having a very hard time. Lots of expensive cars not being driven because the owners can't afford the gas.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Perhaps a different perspective

Generally speaking, it might be wiser for your "investor" to wait a while and see how the dollar is going to behave.

If the IMF accords hold up, perhaps the dollar will settle to 'x' pesos per dollar (whatever it is, it has to be stable)

We have seen prices for everything double + a little bit over the past three or four months. this means that if the government inefficiency continues your "investor" might commit to a 30 unit project for 36 million pesos and find out that he can only complete 14 or 15 units because of further devaluation.

However, construction is a good way to launder money, so maybe the investor doesn't care...

At least that is what the US officials are saying...

However, you, as a construction company, should not care a bit what happens, you get your profit up front on the work you do. Just make sure that your contract has enough escape clauses in case the devaluation continues...

HB

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
Very good point, HB

We told him so , that waits for at least ?till dec. or january to begins the project, to see how the things are going. And remember that the next year is an election?s year so the things maybe get fixed for at least a couple of month.
Even though that delay isn?t good for us but we don?t want to mix our name with a futureless project . By the way the ?investor?is not laundry any money (as far as I know) he?s a business men who believes in his country and is already planning his retire here..;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No pi$$ing contest but

No one with US$1 million, from the US is going to put it in the DR unless he is trying to hide it. That is a fact of life. That altruistic stuff is just B.S. to hide the fact of where it comes from.

It is the only possible explanation for all the construction projects that are going on, since nobody can pay 48% interest for a bank load and still sell real estate. Nor can anyone afford to put out RD$35 million on spec.

You see, if it was legit, that million in the stock market or in mortgages or even CDs would make enough to live on for the rest of his life and still have plenty to give to his kids...

However, you are very wise to protect the company at this time...and even if it is being laundered, that should not touch you or the company...

HB

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Lissa

The instability of the peso currency, the high interest rates for homes (that range between 24-32%) and the slow down of employment opportunities have had a great impact in the construction business.

Right now there are few companys making good money in housing. One of them is Constructora Bisono, and they focus in low cost homes between 650,000-1,000,000. At the moment it is the only market segment that is purchasing.

Up to 2001, there were still proyects geared towards the 2MM+ market but now a days they are less and less. There are still some, but the big money is not there anymore.

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
HB you?re right

I didn?t see it this way, but it?s true there is a chance that this money isn?t clean enough, but we?ll see what happens, meanwhile I?ll take a lot of care...
And Samiam the project is targeted to the same public that Constructora Bisono works with.. Our final price is like 1m..
I know very well the bisono?s houses and I have to tell you they use the cheapest materials, and workers, that?s the reason why they have those prices. If you buy a Bisono?s house, in less than a year I?ll see you changing all the wood and remodeling the kitchen or the bathroom.
I hope (and will work on it) that our project be a better option..

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Wishing you the very best of luck

Lissa, I hope you can do a project like this without any "problems>" All the best

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Bisono is building a project near my house in Arroyo Hondo.

There goes the neighborhood!!!!! I have NEVER seen a construction project move so fast!! The land "Used" to belong to the Zoo! Wonder how he was able to get "ownership" of a public property???He is building five or more "low-rise" buildings of 4 floors and 8 units, each plus 30 or more single family units.Last week one of his trucks,which roar through the poor neighborhood of "La Puya", crushed a little girl to death!He does use "Haitian" workers.They start before 7 am,and work under the lights until late at night.The best part is that the whole project is built on "fill" land that will settle as fast as the new owners move in!!!
Let the buyers beware!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc:bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: No pi$$ing contest but

Hillbilly said:
No one with US$1 million, from the US is going to put it in the DR unless he is trying to hide it. That is a fact of life. That altruistic stuff is just B.S. to hide the fact of where it comes from.

It is the only possible explanation for all the construction projects that are going on, since nobody can pay 48% interest for a bank load and still sell real estate. Nor can anyone afford to put out RD$35 million on spec.

You see, if it was legit, that million in the stock market or in mortgages or even CDs would make enough to live on for the rest of his life and still have plenty to give to his kids...

However, you are very wise to protect the company at this time...and even if it is being laundered, that should not touch you or the company...

HB
HB, I respectfully do NOT agree with your conclusions.

I have been selling stocks for years as they come into the black which has been taking a while to do. I won't invest in the market again most likely under any circumstances. I think stocks are for suckers unless you have inside info.

CD's in the states on 1 mil will only return a little more than 20k a year which is not enough to live on even in the DR if you are use to having that sort of money.

I think this is a good time to build because I think if you have US dollars you can build comparitively cheaper than you could have 2 years ago. I would NEVER go into debt in the DR even in great times. The interest rates are staggering in the best of times.

I don't know if this is the best time to BUY a house although I am doing just that myself. I am selective and make low offers. I can still go wrong but not for much at the prices I pay. You can't stand a chance of winning if you are NOT in the game so it is all a gamble.

I am not hiding my money either HB:) I was a few years ago when my wife was trying to fleece me but now I even make her the VP on the Corps that I start to buy the properties so that she gets control of my assets if something should happen to me. We had a rough time for a year or so but things like that sometime happen. Now we are good friends. I was only squirreling away funds I felt she wasn't entitled to when she was making stupid claims at first. We have an amicable split for both of us but I am still bringing money down.

The best time to start investing in Real Estate is when you think things cannot get any worse. Same thing in Stocks. I bought a ton of stocks after 9-11 and they tanked for a week after. Made a killing in 3-4 weeks.

There are a few questions you have to ask yourself before you do any investing if you buy what I have just said. Do you possibly think that things can ever look as bleak in the DR as it does now? Is there anything good in the news?
I know that prices are lower than they were 7-8 years ago and that they are the lowest in the Caribbean and central America for comparitable properties.

Hey if we all thought alike we would all wear the same clothes and drive the same cars. Thank Gawd we don't and we have choices.

Escott

Last edited:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: HB you?re right

Lissa said:
I know very well the bisono?s houses and I have to tell you they use the cheapest materials, and workers, that?s the reason why they have those prices. If you buy a Bisono?s house, in less than a year I?ll see you changing all the wood and remodeling the kitchen or the bathroom.
I hope (and will work on it) that our project be a better option..

Yeah, I am more or less familiar with their projects . My girlfriend is in the lumber and countertop business so she knows pretty well who is building with what and how good are the products they use.

Theirs (and many others)are not quality oriented constructions. A couple of guys at work have bought homes from them or in some other low cost projects and the stories they have, post moving in, would make anyone freak out. :confused:

RanCin

Oct 20, 2003
And since you ask lol I agree with Scott.. It is all about choices and if you choose not to choose... which many sit byand do.. you are in effect giving your power of choice to someone else! Because change will happen... that (and usually only that) you can count on. If you are a good person then go with your gut.. some call it inner wisdom. It will usually serve you well and lead you to good decisions. If however you know you are not then work on becoming better and follow others that do have good intentions til then. Buy your house... invest... move... whatever. Just choose :) You come here like most of us to make a more informed decision... do your research and then do more...it's all life's lessons homework... but most importantly DO something. I'm taking my own advice and coming there in Nov. and I've lived a rich productive life thus far... with no regrets.
Cindy

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
I?ve known Bisono?s construction for years, and what I?ve heard many stories about them. Once I was legalizing a project in the city hall, I saw many important people (in the construction business) moving around I asked what was happening a worker there told me that Bisono himself was there trying to transact a project , a big one, in Arroyo Hondo (that?s a neighborhood in SD) because the regulations in the city hall have determined certain width for the urbanization?s streets but he wants to build a smaller street, so he gets more land to build houses, the same thing with the green area that must been left for parks , trees and for avoid the intense heat in the urbanization. Well he get inside into the reunion of urban?s matters and I don?t know the final resolution, all I know is that I went to the mentioned urbanization and I coulnd?d make a three point u-turn in one of those street.it was like 40 points turn (jajaja)no but really, you can?t fit two SUV there...Someone told me that sometimes in the city hall there?s a lot of noisy in the upper levels and that happens when comes the SUB (submarine) that is a briefcase full of money.....Then my friend Criss you asked how he or somebody else gets this kind of land......About the ?fill?land this is dangerous as hell, more even now with all the earthquakes...
I know about many ?big firms?in the construction business that are building fancy condos with the worst materials and behind the line of minimal regulations and safety levels....
And Samiam about new buyers I was recently hired by a family that bought a house less than a year ago, to fix the wall?s finishing because the whole house is cracked up, they tried to call the constructor all they get was ?yeah we?re gonna get over there tomorrow or the day after?....Don?t missunderstand me, i?m not saying that all the builders are wrong all I say is that like any other profession there are bad and good guys..?cause I know cases about people that bought their condos and are a very good deal.......:cool:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Happy customer

Lissa, I am quite happy with my apartment in Santo Domingo.
It took me a while because I wanted unobstructed spaces and none of that crappy corniza stuff in the ceiling, but I got what I wanted.
Like many things here, I found it to have a mix of good and bad qualities, but if you can work out the flaws in design or replace some materials things can work out great.

The biggest problem I find here is functional design. I've seen apartments that could have such a great view and air flow but they only have two tiny windows. Others have floorplans that arent practical at all and...ohh crap, dont get me started, I spent almost 6 months looking for a place.

There are a couple of good architects here though. I've seen some lovely modern houses in Arroyo Hondo III and Cuesta Hermosa aswell as some really cool apartments in the center of twon.

Like you said, there are the good and the bad. But be warned, there are more bad than good.;)

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Scott. The best time to buy is when everyone else thinks its a bad time to buy. No one knows if this is THE bottom in DR RE prices, but its a lot closer to the bottom than to the top. the problem is that you pretty much have to pay cash for your R.E......or find a way to finance it from the USA.

I will be in the DR within 6 months to start sniffing around. Gooooooo stock market!!!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Re: Scott po0sting

Scott---spoken like a TRUE real estate investor!!! I dont have too much respect for those that have that special kind of vision , that I dont have, called hindsight.

Regarding the posting of the value of $i,ooo,ooo and how one could live off of it---wow--could have fooled me :}

JOHN

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hey John, hindsight is always 20-20. Monday morning quarterbacks are the best Football players!

I go through life just trying my best based on a lot of thought, research and learning. Most times I do well but sometimes I don't albeit very very rarely.

I never second guess myself, never play what ifs, maybes, couldbes, possiblies or shouldbes... I am never sorry to take a profit even if it is not at the top nor feel bad when I don't get the very top. If someone I do business with makes money on what I sold them I feel good for them!

I once bought a piece of dirt that was 15 acres and landlocked. Bought it in my name and my daughters name because I didn't want it in the same name as the 60 acres I owned next door. I paid 5k for the land, sold the timber off of it to help fund my daughters college(15-20k in Logs), the 5 years later donated the land and got a 200k tax write off when I attached it to another piece of property with frontage after large capitol gains on other properties. I was happy (saved over 100k in taxes) and so was the Church Childrens Camp I gave it to.

Everything I sell I sell with a positive cash flow.

Regards,
Scott