Oh, God? It's Not Funny Anymore!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
My opinion of God is best explained by Voltaire's comment that "God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh." But damn it! It's not funny anymore! Some background on my day and God's little jibes is in order.
  • My backup generator died this morning. This morning? 5 seconds of power from Baldy's Ede Norte, then a minute and 30 seconds. Later one hour. That was it for the whole day! I slept. I got out a book when I got up. Had enough inverter battery power left just for one light to read by. Turned it on. Got in a hammock chair, with a glass of wine, and just as I found my page ... :: poof :: no more inverter or light to read by. Hahahahahaha! Very funny, Big Guy!
  • My houseboy, Cristian, calls the mechanic who had my planta. He actually has it done as promised! I about fall out of my chair! As he's driving back? Flat tire! Jajajajajaja! Even funnier Omniscient One!
  • Cristian, his brother Carlos, and another friend set off from Xanadu to fix the guys flat and bring back the generator and hook it back up. I am sitting in the house, staring at my dead equipment by candleight, sipping on a wine about in tears, after 20 hours basically without power. They get back. They get it in. They connect it. They start it! It runs!!! Less than ten seconds later? Baldy's Ede Norte turns on the juice and we have light from the grid! Good one, Almighty God! Hilarious! But, it's not funny any more!
So. Is God just a practical joker, a sadist, a Leonel supporter, or I have I just done something to really p!ss him off?

Tom (aka XR)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
XR - I sympathise (sp?).

We havn't gotten the tiny generator started up yet, tomorrow may be it's first day on the job as the Provo people will be here for some work. I wonder how long it'll last before it too packs up?! It's been a bad run in regards to power but we'll get ourselves sorted out soon. ;)

Stay well,
Amy

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I should have made this a poll!

I really wanted to know if DR1'ers think:
  • God is a practical joker
  • God is a sadist
  • God is a Leonel supporter
  • XR has just done something to really p!ss God off?
Thank the High Practical Joker the Little Communist Devil isn't around to answer this one!

Tom (aka XR)

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Go Vikes!

God was just testing you. As it is written God helps those
who help themselves. You finally have everything set up
to work again and then he allows Ede Norte to send
you the juice. I think he was just testing you, as he
does to most of who believe.

God bless you and those at the XR,

JD

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Mostly ...

... I was just getting upset that I might miss sitting by the pool and watching the New Jersey Giants at the Minnesota Vikings tomorrow! But now, it's ON baby!

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
Jersey, I have gotten so superstitious! I have to have a Dominican swim in the pool after every quarter. Guess I can stop when they finally drop one, but I hope that's not for a few weeks yet. I've got my gold and purple clothes, hats, jersey's, flags, etc. all laid out in preparation for tomorrow already!

GO VIKINGS!
Six and Nada, Bebe!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
A Few Quotes

W.C. Fields had a philosophy that the Dominican Republic has on occasion forced me to take to heart. He said "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." Sound like a plan?

As to that God guy, I plan on writing some, thanks to DAWNWIL. Probably something along the lines of "OOlon Colluphid's trilogy of philosophical blockbusters, Where God Went Wrong, Some More of God's Greatest Mistakes, and Who Is This God Person Anyway?"

And if you don't know where any of that came from ... well ... look it up and have a laugh or two!

Tom (aka XR)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Why, h2g2 of course

- pure genius that doesn't take itself too seriously. If only there was more of it about.

Chiri

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Does God have a sense of humor?

Of course. He/She is laughing their ass off at all us ex-pats living in a third world country trying to enjoy the "good life". We must be a constant source of entertainment as we attempt to maintain our former life styles here in Oz. Think about the analogy and cast of charactors.

One big problem is that I can't get my ruby slippers on. My feet are swollen from the heat and walking on concrete all the time. I've about forgotten what grass looks like and the yellow brick road is covered in trash.

Sitting around in the dark staring at your spouse by moonlight, nursing the bruises you got while trying to find the refrigerator and a cold presidente, thinking about all the trials and tribulations we suffer sometimes makes me question the decision to move here.

But, then there are the good things. Cheap beer and cigarettes, the envy of all your friends and family members who actually haven't been here, and it's a tropical island so the flowers are nice.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but I will need a little time to think. At least it's daylight and, for now, finding the frig is no problem..... What a life!

Dianne

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Things!!!

OK Tom,
Now you ought to know that She's just joshing with you?? OR - perhaps you were getting too happy so She gave you a slap of reality?
But, think on these .................

"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials" - Confucius.

"All things come to those who wait..... They come, but often too late." - Lady Mary M. Currie.

"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself." - Saint francis de Sales.

AND finally ..........

"No matter how difficult the past you can always begin again today." - Buddha.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Duhhh

Careful there Bob, I might just come down & let the air out of the tires on your house. After the penny drops, of course.

Chris, I don't steal words, I just borrow them, and I think Forrest Gump deserves the last word on the Xanadu ranch saga.

Shhh....it happens! Cheers Stan.