*******dr Cars******

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Does anybody owns a SUZUKI Vitara or Grand Vitara?
How does it handles the Dominican Terrain?
Does it drink Gas! like Criss Colon Does Presidente Beer?
What is your rating from 1 to 10 in Price (VS) Performance/economy.

Top Small SUV's for the DR.
1. Rav 4
2. CRV
3. Suzuki's
4. Xtrail

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
You didn't mention Subaru

We chose the Subaru Forrester specifically for the DR. Did our homework on bang for the buck and decided this was the way to go.

We had a Geo convertible (baby jeep) that we had intended to bring, but Danny wanted to see if he could get it under a tractor trailer while both were moving. He did it! He was okay, but our little car looked like blue squashed up coke can. Bye Bye Geo. They (Forresters) are just starting to make their way here. There is one in Santiago exactly like ours.

Dianne

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am not a car expert, but having done some investigation with the real car experts we decided on a CRV for the reasons listed below, in that same order.

1.- It is a Honda. Japanese vehicles, more specifically Honda and Toyota hold their value better than any other cars.

2.- You can purchase spare parts almost anywhere at the best prices.

3.- Any mechanic understand a Honda or a Toyota (my first car was a VW Jetta, loved that car with passion but was once stuck in Cabarete for days for a simple problem and a lousy mechanic).

2.- CRV has the greatest ratings among mini-utes. They are safe, reliable, economic, comfortable, easy to drive and have a spacious interior while keeping the total size the same of a middle-size sedan. They are reliable, tough and attractive.

3.- They are cheaper than the my next choice, the RAV 4, which got much worse ratings anyways. More bang for my bucks... so to speak.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
d & d, good choice, but how is your gas mileage? AWD seems to bring it down significantly, moreso than 4WD. and how about availability of mechanics as pib mentioned?

mob

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Buy a man's car

If you are going to buy a Jeepeta in the DR the only way to go is with a Landcruiser, Landrover or a Patrol.

If you can afford it a Landcruiser is #1 and holds its value for years to come.

My Landcruiser Turbo Diesal gets better mileage then my wifes Sentra...

Gringo

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Start with the timeing belt ...

And don't buy it if it has one.

I assume you're referring to a used vehicle. Actually, SUV's might use timing chains instead, but I'd make sure.

Timing belts are almost guaranteed to break not too long after the recommended 60,000 mile life. If you're buying a used one, you don't know how long it's been. A mistake would likely cause serious, even fatal, damage to the engine.

At least, when buying a used vehicle with a timing belt, the belt should be replaced immediately - a $300. job. I wouldn't trust a belt bought in the DR either - I'd take it down with me. If you can't trust a can of oil to be full (notice how the seals on them have been lifted inconspicuouly on one side and part of the oil drained before they're put on the shelf for sale), how can you trust a belt to be new. If wrong it could cost you $2000. or more.

BTW, I prefer Nissans when buying used. Even their cars (some of them at least) have gear-driven camshafts, even less likely than timing chains to break.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
A Land Cruiser is a huge vehicle (MAN) i think you refering to (HUGE MAN) lol! i was thinking of going on the lower end since im going to be all over the place i do like the new Honda CRV and the Pilot but the Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 is a Beauty.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot depends on what you are going to be doing

If you are just going to the market, anything that runs is ok.

You might want to check the Insurance Institute website and see how they ranked in crash tests and small fender bender accidents.

Generally speaking Toyota and Honda hold up well. the Forrester is a very, very good vehicle and will let you go off the normal roads with confidence.

Very true about timing belts!! Excellent observation!

Land Cruisers are great but expensive, and the diesels even more so, but they last forever. they make a stripped down version that is more of a work vehicle and I like it better. Saw some here with Haitian plates, and found out they belong to the US Embassy over there....

HB

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Milage and Repairs

The Forrester gets around 23 driving around here with all the stop and go. On a long trip, it's a little better 25 to 26. It's a 2000 and we haven't had to have anything major repaired as yet, other than change the oil, which Danny does, religiously, every 3000 miles.

There is a parts place in Santiago that carries Subaru parts, so maintenance shouldn't be much of a problem (said with crossed fingers).

Great handling and riding little SUV. One reason we like it is because it's higher off the ground (better clearance) than the Honda or Toyota, although both of those are also highly rated.

As to the timing belt, lost one on a Honda Accord. Kept trying to crank the car and blew out valves or something. At any rate, it wrecked the engine. Change those puppies or suffer the consequences. Lesson learned.

If I have to be honest, I miss my BMW 735. Sold it and bought the Subaru. Just wouldn't have been practical here, for us anyway.

Dianne

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Grand Vitara

I bought a Suzuki G.V. about 5 months ago in Puerto Plata for $9600. with 51k miles, just off the boat. V-6 2.7 liter
Very impressed, has 4X4, took it to the top of Teleferio with greatest of easy. Gets about 18 mpg round town and low 20's on the road. Big enough to feel safe on the road but small enough to slip around town..plus the horn works good!