Bachata on MTV

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hi from the Eternal City!

I saw the news today in a local channel about the strike in DR. It did sound worse that it seems to have been. Not surprisingly. That can only hurt tourism. Or not. Well, anyways, Monchy and Alexandra are no. 20 in the local charts... on MTV of all channels.

Pls. hold the country together until we get back.

The Pibs

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Never mind the country, what about the DR debates forum!

Great to hear you're having fun. Bachata is taking over the world, it seems. Aventura were the in thing in Spain this summer when I was there.

Chiri

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You better get back before Friday if you have a night time landing. Might not be any electricity to power the runway lights :)

Lissy

Nov 12, 2003
Bachata has gotten really perios with "modernized{ groups such as Aventura, DL1, where they sing in English also and the reason why they are coming over more is thay have"hip hop" beats not all but the newer ones. Bachata is right up there with Merengue nowadays.....check the club seens in NYC Miami anywhere....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There are still people in the USA that go;"Nobody Like Country Music"

JUst like there are people here who go;"Nobody Likes Bachata".They are both wrong!!! They may not like it,but they are wrong.Just check out the "Sales Figures","Country" is KING in the USA,and "Bachata" is Dominican Country!

Dame una "Bien Fria" con "Clamato"!!!!!!!!!Bamo Bailar!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Country is nothing but a white version of Blues. Either case all three forms - Country, blues and Bachata have a bunch of men generally crying thier eyes out over a girl who dumped them.

Dont get me wrong I love very much 2 of the 3 forms, and at times enjoy the third form.

:cool:

Lissy

Nov 12, 2003
I feel you black cobra...I don't know what I would listen to either are you talking about fast bachata o merengue ahripaou (not sure of the spelling).

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Bachata...

Just learned the steps, not sure if I like it or not, haven't had much practice. Just an observation, on our last NYC reunion at DR-k not one bachata was played (not while I was there), this is supposed to be a real dominican place, yet we spent the entire evening dancing merengue/salsa. Just thought it was strange being that bachata is so popular in the DR right now.

Lissy

Nov 12, 2003
That's odd....because everywhere I go Bachata is "infesting" the airwaves....whether it's the DR or NY and even in Orlando where I live now which the majority of people here are Cuban, and P Rican even in the Venezuelen joints here they play bachata....and every "spanish" club has a certain night for bachata..."super bachatazo" It might be the age group or something....alot of people didn't used to like it because as us p ricans say it was like "jibaro" music but it has change quite a bit.

GringoDiablo

Nov 8, 2003
I wnon't sing it but ..........

Finally, a Bachata thread. Can anyone tell me what this song is. It's a long song mostly in spanish but in the end he sings. . . "show me how to forget you mi amoooor " I would like to buy it.

GringoDiablo

Nov 8, 2003
hmmm

I don't speak spanish so all I can remember is that it changes tempo several times, the english is at the end when the tempo slowes down completely. It may even be an old song since I didn't here it on the radio. It also has a heavier drum beat then most other bachata.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Funny, I live in Miami and listen to the radio most of the day. Never hear Bachata. Then again I don't listen to any Chopo/Chusma stations.
All this talk about bachata is just like all the hype about Merengue 20 years ago. "It is going to be big". "Everybody loves it!"
Call me when it makes the Billboard Hot 100(Not the Latin Charts) Until then give it a rest.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have heard the same bashing of Merengue and Bachata since I got on DR1 four years ago and I've finally had enough of looking the other way when reading about it. So now I will tell you what I think for a change.

I was born in Italy and was exposed to all the opera and all that waltzing stuff. We can to Canada when I was seven so I have lived through Elvis,The Beatles, Rock and Roll, Heavy Metal, not so heavy metal rock ect. Have lived in good old Guelph most of my life I've never been exposed to Latin music of any kind. Closest would have been, Carlo from Santana, any of the songs that couldn't even escape Southern Ontario. And the only Spanish words I ever sang in a song was when Paul Anka ( yes I'm old) brought out the song called "Eso beso:

Sooooooooo, in the late 80s I went on a holiday with one of my girlfriends and our kids. I let her pick where we would go because she's good at getting the best deal for the buck, so we end up going to an Island called The Dominican Republic. Had no idea what it would be like.
We land and all these happy friendly people are all over the place. The bus that's taking us to the AI hotel ( yeah yeah didn't know any better then) is playing this very happy up beat music and it's so different than anything I have ever heard in my life. I also observe that from 5 to whatever age everyone is dancing the same way and I think " how wonderful that there is no generation gap. They are dancing the same way" I've never heard of Merengue or Bachata in my whole life and I'm loving it.

So excuse us for loving the music that is " Musica Domenicana" Whether you like it or not that's what it is so get over it!

Ok that felt good! ;)

JFM

Jul 17, 2002
GringoDiablo... your song

The song you are thinking of is by Aventura and it is "Ens??ame a olvidar". If you want the words, you can find them on their website.

La Reyna

Oct 20, 2003
Re: Please...."Bachata" won't be taking over anything.....

dms3611 said:
......period.

You should travel to Europe, its already taken over jajajaj
I'm livin in Suiza, and the Europeans dance nearly like dominicans, and they know the words of every bachata by heart (even if they don't speak spanish). Doesn't matter, if its Raulin,
Monchy, Fernandito, Anthony or somebody else...

BACHATA RULEZ ?!!!!!!!!

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Tony C, please. You are as subtle as a ICBM hitting the Kremlin during a CNN broadcast ;) It doesn't matter if Billboard Latin Charts or the Hot 100 has it or doesn't have it on the charts, it's about which label has the larger budget for marketing and has their artists talking about it on TV and radio shows to get BDS detections. It's not like I listen to bachata, it's not my cup of tea (I don't have any bachata CDs) but CC was right, bachata is Dominican country music and the sales are thru the roof..............guys like Anthony Santos make over $1 million dollars a year off of this "chopo music".............and that's not even on a major label

kunky

Oct 6, 2003
show me how to forget you........ i have that song on a cd my co-worker made for me and it drives me crazy not knowing as to who sings it too. i listen to bachata all day long.
there is a song called Maesta, its not bachata, but its awesome. maestra, ensemne usted, oh..... its about a young man who falls in love for the first time, amazing song, a woman teaches him about love, check it out, i think Manuel Ramirez sings it. heard that song 2 years ago, and every year i have a song that i hear when im away, and its kind of like my theme song for the holiday of the year, mind you it helps when a good looking man serenades you also....

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
kunky said:
show me how to forget you........ i have that song on a cd my co-worker made for me and it drives me crazy not knowing as to who sings it too.
Those are lyrics to a song Aventura has. I'm not very familiar with alot of bachata, but Aventura is one of the groups that were on heavy rotation last time I was in DR.