A Great Business Idea!

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
First of all i have a question. Will it be possible to own your own Electricity Generating Plant? (TO SUPPLY STEADY ELECTRICITY TO A WHOLE TOWN THAT IS)? How much money are we talking about here?

If independent companies stablish their own guidelines and learn from the mistakes the EDES have made, will it be possible to make some ends?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
In a perfect world that is a great idea. Unfortunately you are talking RD here. I have followed the electricity problems for years in the RD. I admit I am not an expert but what I have learned is that the whole problem is politically controlled. There is so much more money to be made in keeping it a problem than there is in a solution to be made. As long as pockets are there to be lined nothing will be done. There are enough power plants and generators to light up the country with plenty to spare. I think if anyone tried to go into business as an independent they would soon feel the wrath from the powers that be who are making money off from the invented shortages or BS of not paying thier bills. I would equate it to pissing off a mafia boss type of wrath. Maybe I sound harsh but I truly believe there should not be a problem with electricity there at all. The only reason there is one is because the government likes it that way.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Is it just possible....

that the gov't is trying to "persuade" expats to abandon ship and leave the DR, with manufactured shortages of essentials like electricity? Know it's a wild notion, but every now and then my paranoia meter reads high.

Best, P

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
Well, I don't think so

The blackouts have been a long story in DR. Corruption, fraud, nepotism, and all the others flaws, felonies or whatever you name it, are the main cause of them. People involved in such affairs (most of the time, dominican politicians) have only a goal, MAKE MONEY AT ANY COST. The expats have anything to do with that, so be quiet and rest assure.
This country needs you all, expats. I acknowledge you all have helped this country (in spite the despicable behavior of some foreign individuals). So stop being paranoidal, and feel comfortable in your second "pat";)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ha! This is the Xanadu Freehold here!

Never happen. Bring it on! But, Pasha, it would seem to fit a pattern.

The Mejia government seems to be bound and determined to do everything they can to rob themselves of the sole sources of hard currency that are keeping the boat afloat: the doubling of the tourist exit fee, the 5% tax on exports, etc. So I would not be surprised. I tend to think it's stupidity not a plan.

But, they'll only get me out of here and away from my house and family at gunpoint and even then only after blood has been spilled. This is my home.

Tom (aka XR)

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Well, kleptocrats.....

and others like SHussain really don't give a big poop if their country go straight into the toilet so long as they remain in power. Look at Zimbabwe....the perfect model. Even tourism, much less permanent expats, aren't on their personal agenda when threatened [my opinion].

What would be the net/net if a few tourists got popped? They wouldn 't even have to do the dirty deed themselves....just wait until the economy is so bad that serious criminals start to come out of the woodwork.

Presciently yours, P

PS - this is, of course, just idle speculation.....sort of Team B thinking.

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
How much does it cost?

How long is a piece of string?

I've been looking at this as a business idea as well. I've got lines on power generators and fuel sources for them. The main opponents to the idea (for me anyways) is I haven't relocated there yet and the way many Dominicans do business (screw the gringo). In order to charge for electricity, you firstly need to have your generation plant, then a grid to deliver to the customers, customers need meters, a billing system, a collection system etc etc ... service - have you ever sat at an outside restaurant and looked at the jumble of loose wires on the power poles? can you imagine how may of your service people would get electricuted every year (or daily).

So back to how much does it cost - you'd be looking at $1.5-2M USD for a small fuel run power generator that could accomodate five or six resorts and a small community around it.

My initial cost projections for the idea were in the $35-40M USD not including bribes and kick backs - I also believe the earlier comments of a mafia type regime that would need to have a cut (I believe he's your current president) - by the way - I'd use a sugar cane by-product as the fuel source ...

Anybody got a few extra million kicking around?

Big D

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Consorcio Energetico Punta Cana Macao

The best thing is to get in touch to this people who maybe can help you with the information of maybe with the instalation
the have very Excellent services in Bayahibe and Punta Cana.
they provide the power to every hotels and comunities there
So, I guess the are having some others proyect in Santo Domingo, Santiago and Puerto Plata.

Dont deal with the Gov.
deal directly with people
every body pay and not body compleins not body is robering power to CEPM

go ahead,

have good luck

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ummmm ....

Perhaps this is a question for the legal forum, and Mr. Guzman. But, I have been told repeatedly that selling electricity is not legal here in the Dominican Republic. That is the exclusive right of the EDE's.

We are installing a 60KW generator for Xanadu and plan on sharing with neighbors, but they are not paying for electricity per se. They are buying a part of the planta, and sharing a percentage of the operating costs of the planta (fuel, oil, filters, maintenance, etc.) based on usage. That's OK. Selling it isn't. Or so I have been told.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
Another pitfall is that anyone you connect who doesn't pay and you subsequently disconnect, even under a sharing plan such as ours, can file a complaint with a branch of the government claiming someone in their house is ill, or would otherwise be harmed by losing power, and you can get be required to continue to supply the juice regardless of payment, or get in big trouble for ignoring that request and disconnecting them anyway.

Last edited: