Departure Tax

papillon

Nov 4, 2003
Last two times leaving Santo Domingo I was not charged the $20 departure tax. Last time was yesterday, I left on the 10.12 am flight to Miami. Has this tax been cancelled? I purchased my tickets through the American Airlines website and I was not charged for the departure tax. I could have had a few more Presidentes!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi papillon,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

I think you will find that AA includes the departure tax in their fare (at least they used to before it was increased to $20 per person).

Perhaps a regular AA traveller like ricktoronto or johnsr can confirm or refute this.

Mi dos pesos.

Gregg

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
They do now

Actually they did ever since the days of the stickers, then the stamp died out at the departure gates.

But - they did some at the $10 rate so when you showed up they hit you for $10 more, in pesos if you paid with a credit card (which I did as I was paying a change fee as well).

It must be over a year it's been included. Charters still tend to ding you the whole shebang at checkin. In fairness they normally tell you that at the time you book, and they often give you the tourist card so you are $10 ahead vs. buying one at arrivals.

papillon

Nov 4, 2003
Ok, so I guess I just did not notice that the fee was included when I bought my tickets from AA. The nonpayment just happened the last two times I have been to DR and there were both this year.
Thanks for helping me figure this out.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you have the long receipt

papillon said:
Ok, so I guess I just did not notice that the fee was included when I bought my tickets from AA. The nonpayment just happened the last two times I have been to DR and there were both this year.
Thanks for helping me figure this out.
Where they show the myriad codes for the taxes (like US Security Tax, Airport Improvement Fees, etc.) there's a code for departure tax in there somewhere.

It was a major pain in the ass before with a whole new line up before boarding. Then they used stamps which didn't stick to the glossy boarding pass stock and I don't think ever really dried.