Important passport information needed

VincenteDiana

Jan 10, 2002
Has anybody (from Canada or any other country that doesn't need passport to enter DR) have problems at Puerto Plata airport because they did not have a passport? If, so, how long did it take, what happened, etc.? There are eight of us going in March and only 2 have passports.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Get a passport. It's good for 5 years. Think it's still 60 Canadian bucks. Only takes two weeks more or less to process.

VincenteDiana

Jan 10, 2002
I hope this a clearer question than my previous one.
Since October/November of this year, are the PROCEDURES at the airport changed for people without passport?

I have a passport because I go south every year and I need it for some countries. But the other 6 persons are first time travellers. What I need is information on what are the NEW procedures at the airport for people without a passport. How long it takes, is it complicated, hassle free, OR JUST THE SAME as previous years. The first time I went, I did not have a passport and it went very well. Thank you.

Last edited:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
We travelled to POP twice with only birth certificates. My son used birth certificate at LaRamana. No problems. Of course, you know they have to be OFFICIAL certificates - not copies.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
They still permit it but March?

VincenteDiana said:
I hope this a clearer question than my previous one.
Since October/November of this year, are the PROCEDURES at the airport changed for people without passport?

Sure they allow it now ( I was in SDQ earlier this month and saw a few with this type of ID vs. passports)

BUT: Who knows what either the DR or the US (if connecting) will want in March?

There are fewer and fewer countries going along with the drivers license and ID thing. If you have nearly 4 months get them to get passports. Nobody should travel without them.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
It cost around $100 for a passport in US now - up from $75 last year. If these people aren't ever travelling internationally again, then I think a passport is a waste of money.

We'll be taking my dad to POP this xmas. He has a birth certificate only. I'll post to this thread later and report if any problems.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
According to Air Transat

According to Air Transat:
"Travelling from Canada

For domestic flights, all passengers must be in possession of government-issued photo identification. Children under 16 should carry proof of identity, if no photo ID is available. For international flights, depending on the requirements of the destination country, each passenger must be in possession of proof of citizenship with photo ID in the form of passport, birth certificate and driver's license, or citizenship card. Please consult your travel agent for specific country requirements. Here's a helpful checklist of passport and visa information you may want to check out before you leave."

If you are travelling with a birth certificate only, they will ask for another id that has a photo on it.
If everyone in your party has a official birth certificate and a valid driver's license, then there should be no problem.

However, on their website, Air Transat recommend that all passengers travel with a valid passport, regardless of their destination.

I also checked Signature Vacations. They too are recommending a passport. "We strongly recommend that you travel with a valid passport. Where a country allows Canadians entry with a birth certificate, you will also be required to provide photo ID (such as a driver's licence). "

Maryanne