Getting a visa for the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlysantos

Sep 19, 2003
I am getting married to a dominican, next year, and have no idea where to start with getting him a visa for the UK. Please help!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Heaven would be a good place to start

Have you read Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules for Marrying a Dominican? See below in the Men are from Mars section...

He will not get a visa to go to England. You will have to come here and marry him, and then wait for a year or so to get him a visa to go to England. You had better look in England for all the paperwork, as surely your Immigration people know a lot more about this than I ever will. However, experience and reading this BB have shown that it will be a long and arduous process....

You will get a bit more static and irony filled commentaries....

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Re: Heaven would be a good place to start

Hillbilly said:
He will not get a visa to go to England.

Everything HB says is true! With the exception of the above statement.

He may get a visa to go to England as a visitor, as my Dominican husband did - twice - before we were married, but it depends on his circumstances. My husband was probably successful in getting a visa because he had already travelled extensively (although never to the UK) and had a 10-year multiple-entry US visa.

It may also have helped that we arranged for him to attend English language courses in the UK and he was able to present letters from the language schools at the interview. In fact, I recall at least one of the visas was a student visa. Once we were married, it would appear to be a formality to get the necessary visa should we decide to move to the UK.

We live in the DR and have no immediate plans to leave.

Good luck,

Chiri

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Bingo!

Chirimoya said:
... because he had already travelled extensively (although never to the UK) and had a 10-year multiple-entry US visa.

I think Canada would think similarly, once the US had gone the route of multiple entry they'd be less likely to say no. For casual (and non-world travelers) visitors there isn't a hope basically.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
carlysantos said:
I am getting married to a dominican, next year, and have no idea where to start with getting him a visa for the UK. Please help!

Give us some background on your future husband and we will give you a more accurate answer.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chiri

That is why I asked her to read the HB Three Golden.....

Your hubby fulfilled them...

If hers does, too, than there will be no problem except for the blasted paperwork..

If, however, he is part of the entertainment staff at an AI, well then you can only imagine what is facing this girl....

HB

carlysantos

Sep 19, 2003
I'm afraid he is part of the animation team and don't worry, i've heard all the bad things-you couldn't surprise me. But, i trust him and love him and will do whatever it takes for him to get here.
He's 27 and has never been married and we plan to marry either next summer or in 2005. What else would you like to know to help you answer my question? Thanks for the replies!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I hope he's a good swimmer...

I'm going to close this thread before the "DR1 Centinals" find this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.