Bringing my car from Miami to SD, DR

cmoschella

Nov 27, 2003
mi.codetel.net.do
I'm in the process of moving to SD from Miami. I DO NOT have a cedula yet, but I'm working on it. I want to bring my '99 Chevy Cavalier here. I'm asking if anyone knows who I can call, or where I can go, to find out exactly, or as close to exactly as Dominicanly possible, how much the taxes will be. Also, if anyone can recommend a shipping company that would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

cmoschella@codetel.net.do

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Please read the many posts on this subject for more information.

Bottom line...

Don't do it, unless you want a wealth of pain with customs, bribes, paybacks etc etc.

I have yet to hear of someone say that was easy, I'll do that again.

But I have heard, no way would I ever go through that experience again, plus it has cost me a fortune etc etc.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
I read somewhere here that if you bring the car after getting the residence you don't have to pay taxes.
If I don't remember wrong, the car has to be at least 3 years old, but not older than 5 years, a pretty small window of oportunity, but it suits me.
Next year I hope to go to DR and get a residency, then I will bring my things there.
What may happen if I send the car along with all my stuff using an international moving company.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Listen to Robert. He is not making up the warnings.

Click on the search button at top of this page and do a search for importing cars.

There are a lot of threads there on the subject. What you won't find is anyone with experience telling you it is a good idea.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Listen to those who have "been there, done that"!

We did it and WOULD NOT DO IT AGAIN. Danny had everything, including his cedula and passport. He's Dominican for christ sakes. Still got nailed to the wall.

We were told the same thing, that is, due to his being Dominican blah, blah, blah, that we wouldn't have to pay all that crap. WRONG! You might want to do some research and reconsider.

Dianne

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Re: Listen to those who have "been there, done that"!

D & D said:
We did it and WOULD NOT DO IT AGAIN. Danny had everything, including his cedula and passport. He's Dominican for christ sakes. Still got nailed to the wall.

We were told the same thing, that is, due to his being Dominican blah, blah, blah, that we wouldn't have to pay all that crap. WRONG! You might want to do some research and reconsider.

Dianne
DO NOT DO IT!!!!!. Sell your car and buy a new one in the dr. The headaches and inconveniences are amazing and in the long run, you will pay, maybe, as much as you paid for the car in Miami. I tried doing that a few years ago and even my father that has so many connections, could not promise me that I would not have problems. You will end up, probably, bribing everybody and their father in order to get your car. Cedulas, passports, connections, dominican, black or white, it would not matter, you will have problems.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003
Thank you all for the information.
I finally got the message.
I will have to part with my beloved car. :cry: