Non Canadians returning to Canada

New rules will take effect on Dec. 31, 2003 that would prevent you from returning to Canada if you are not a Canadian citizen and do not have a permanent resident (PR) card. PR replaces the paper IMM 1000 Record of Landing document.

As of December 31, 2003, permanent residents returning to Canada without a valid PR card will not be permitted to board their carrier. They will have to contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate to obtain a limited use travel document to re-enter Canada at a cost of $50 for each one.

Apparently a lot of people don't know about this change, I thought I would mention it here in case anyone is affected while on vacation in the DR.

More information can be found at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pr-card/index.html

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
This is a good point to raise (hence the bump). I am a permanent resident of Canada and have carried around my landing paper in my passport for years. It wasn't until the last time that I flew back from the DR in February that anyone questioned it. It turns out that my document expired in 1997!!!!!!! No one had ever brought that to my attention and I fly in and out of Canada at least three times a year.

I moved here in 1990, and at that time they told me that they would be bringing in these "Permanent Resident" cards shortly. Ah, Canadian bureaucracy. Gotta love it.

Rose

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Become a Citizen

rmary said:
This is a good point to raise (hence the bump). I am a permanent resident of Canada and have carried around my landing paper in my passport for years.

If you aren't a citizen of a country that doesn't allow dual citizenship you should apply to become a Canadian, the test is pretty easy and then you can get a citizen ID card or passport and not worry about these landed immigrant status issues.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
WHAT TEST ????

RickToronto - What test are you talking about ??
My future husband (A U.S. citizen) has been working on his papers for 3 years while he has lived in Canada, first application they had lost and now we are doing round 2 which immigration said will take at least 2 years to process. He has to keep renewing his work visa which is a 2 month process every 6 months and..... the work visa doesn't even authorize re-entry into Canada. If we were to travel to the DR and return again , he could be refused entry even though we own our home and have jobs in Canada. It is a gamble each time we enter the States to go and visit family so my question - although not DR related is where do you get your information on writing a test and becoming a citizen of Canada ??
Please PM me so we don't hijack this thread.
Thank you
Marlie

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Update on the Travel Problem

Hlywud said:

As of December 31, 2003, permanent residents returning to Canada without a valid PR card will not be permitted to board their carrier.

Just announced that citizens of most European countries, plus USA, UK, Australia, etc., will be OK with their IMM 1000 form ( this is the proof you are a landed immigrant in Canada, while the card mentioned is like a green card, info for folks not from here)

There is already a hue and cry that non-whites are still subject to this rule (e.g. India, Jamaica) since most listed countries are predomindantly white.

Still beats the system the did have though all landed immigrants were advised YEARS ago this would be required and they all started lining up in October vs. when they could.

As for marliejaneca - if we are discussing a person who is legally landed and been here the 5 years or 3 years etc., I would not understand why it is proving so difficult - though you mention a "work visa" which in fact is NOT landed immigrant status at all so you are talking about becoming landed - I was talking about already landed immigrants becoming a citizen and that is quite routine. Apply, take a test and go to the ceremony. Your husband is not in that class obviously.

Here's a link - the whole process is 1/2 a page:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/applying-howto.html

Last edited:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Sorry !

You are right - I misread your message.
Please check your PMs - I sent one to you.
Thanks for the clarification
Marlie

tegzet

Dec 10, 2003
PRC CARDS

I thought a little clarification might be helpful.

If you are from a country that does not require a visa to enter Canada i.e. USA Europe etc, you will not be stopped from boarding the return flight.
However that is not to say you will be guarenteed entry once you arrive.

I have been informed that decision will left be to the total discretion of the Immigration Officer you run into.

If you can get the temp card from the embassey in Santo Domingo.
Its a pain as it will require two trips but it might save you spending a very long time at your airport of immediate entry and the possibility of missing a connecting flight.

Good luck and at least file for your card before you go so you have a file number to show the officer.

Also it is not a matter of just printing off the order form and sending it back as several parts of the form will not print and have to be mailed to you for "security" reasons.
After that you will have to go to a lawyer or notary.
This is not the easiest nor quickest of processes to go through.

Good luck to all

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Total Confusion Reigns

This link from the Calgary Sun (19 hours old) says the Government erred when they said visa-exempt persons (from Commonwealth countries) could enter:

http://www.canoe.ca/CalgaryNews/cs.cs-12-18-0039.html

While this link from the CBC (3 hours old) says they can:

http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=bc_immig20031218

Partial Quote: Immigration Minister Judy Sgro says people arriving in Canada will still be asked for the permanent resident cards, but won't be denied entry if they don't have one.

"But what you'll have to do is to provide proof to the Customs officer that you are a permanent resident of Canada.

"Hence the importance of having a driver's licence with you, and other documentation that shows you are a permanent resident of Canada." says the new minister.

The ministry also says airlines won't face fines if they carry permanent residents who don't have cards back to Canada.

Finally THIS link from the Federal Gov't today (? hours old) also says no way, Jose:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pr-card/prc-status2.html

But they will expedite them particularly at Canadian Consulates in the US border areas.

Who to believe? Beats me. 3 sources, all from today (12/18) all different. You would hope if the CBC is quoting the new minister herself they'd get this quote right. Still imagine what the airlines around the world know or don't, or if the DR exit control folks will act in some manner not in keeping with what our government (I am embarassed to admit don't) knows or says.

Last edited:

tegzet

Dec 10, 2003
PRC CARDS

Rick

thanks your message. this is a mess.

I am going to take it up with my travel agent this morning and then hit the fax machine.

I'll keep you advised