Casa Linda?

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Hi, Moniki and I will be going to DR in Feb. we finally decided to stay in the Sosua area. We have been communicating with Rimma from Sunnyvillaholidays and it looks like we're going to renting a villa from her. Question: Has anyone stayed in Casa Linda specifically Colibri or Tamarindo as these are the options that we have, being that we're going in the busy season. (02/7/04 -02/15/04). How close is this area to the beach and what about the nightlife? Can anyone recommend a nice place to have a drink and dance some merengue? I know that we'll be going to Rocky's, so maybe we'll see some DR1ers there.
Thanks
Minni

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Mini, there are a number of dr1ers that own homes--vacation or year around--in Casa Linda.

GlowWorm

Nov 18, 2003
Minni

Know several people in Casa Linda and my wife and I own a Yasmin style villa there. You might want to check out www.casalindaonline.com to see the floor plan for the 2 options you have. Personally I would chose the Tamarindo.

Less than 2 miles from Sosua Bay, less than 10 from Cabarete. Coastal mart is just 1/4 mile down the road. Great place for drinks, food, gas, etc. Very new and very clean.

Rocky's is great, so is Eddy's Sports Bar, and the VooDoo lounge is right on the way to the beach. Can't go wrong with any of these but Eddys and Rockys get my vote.

Be sure and make acquaintances with Leonardo, the receptionist at Casa Linda. She is very friendly and is a great source for information on the area.

Glad you booked through Rimma. Any Ulkrainian from Denmark who serves black caviar and champagne for a dinner party is my kind of girl.

Hope you have a great time!

Glow:beard:

P.S.

Well Ken beat me to the punch. Be sure and make him give you his number. He is a great guy and a trustworthy source of information.

Last edited:

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Thanks Glow, I'll be sure to check out the places you suggested. Never been to Sosua only a couple times to Puerto Plata, so I wanted to get as much info as possible on the place that we are goint to be staying at. Nicky and I are leaning towards the Tamarindo, we checked out the website yesterday and sorta agreed on it. Just waiting on the specifics from Rimma to set the ball rolling. Thanks again for the info.
Minni

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Hmmmmm

Debating whether or not I should post my oppinions. Then again... what is the debate.

The houses are gorgeous... the layouts are quaint and the landscaping is to die for. However if you research previous threads on Casa Linda - there are some serious security and honesty issues of the management and "guards" that need to be addressed. I would be very very very careful while residing there.

GG

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
B as in B, S as in S

I've owned a Casa Linda house for a couple years. It's a great little neighborhood and the security is better than any DR neighborhood I've seen. I've chatted with several owners and also with the real estate broker whos house was right across the street from mine. None of the have ever had a problem with security or "the guards" except for one person that rented from me. Many people believe that that person has a tendancy to embellish. Minni, stay there and enjoy. A more peaceful place, you will not find.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Sorry, Tom, but that's not fair.

I would be right alongside GG in her appraisal except that I have been told the previous management representative has been sacked so I will hold my tongue. Your experience as an owner may not very accurately reflect the shady dealings of the previous management towards renters.

Even though I have every bit as much a right to voice my negative experiences in CL as you do to post your positive opinion of it, I will not do so here in a public forum.

But anyone who wants to know what my experiences were as a renter there two years ago is welcome to PM or e-mail me. I would be willing to bet GG would be very happy to have the opportunity do the same in an attempt to spare others the nightmare that she endured.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited:

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I'll be open minded about this.........

........there are a number of owners and renters in CL that are DR1ers. Let's see what they have to say.

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
ok..... now what do I do?

Afer reading this I'm concerned. I've done a search and all I could find on Casa Linda was only good stuff about people buying their homes. Nothing on security issues. So, what's going on ? What are the security issues? Everything was kind of vague. I am in the final process of renting (meaning getting ready to send the money) so would really like to know just what problems people have had with management and security are. Are we going to be robbed blind? Is there really security or is it just Jaun Pepe standing around waiting to see when you step out so he can come in? I to agree with Camden Tom and would like to know what the rest of the DR1ers that live there think. Please if you don't want to post anything negative on this forum , PLEASE email or send a private post. I really would like to know the security issues before I go ahead and send any money.
Thanks,
Minni

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
FYI

Embellish is not the word... so I will not even get into that, however it is your oppinion if you choose to believe anything I have said or not, but I do know that for the first time in my life, I was scared and it was because of the incident in that house.

Minni,

I am not saying that CasaLinda is not a good place. I love the way that neighborhood looks and the owners of the houses there are generally very nice and I talked with many of them on occasion when running into them in the neighborhood. As I said the landscaping and vegetation is beautiful and it always felt like I lived in a little piece of paradise while I was there.

However there are some issues (that may or may not have been addressed since October) that would prevent and did prevent me from residing there. I am choosing not to rehash all this on the forum because I do not want any negative remarks directed at me because of my oppinions.

GG

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Thanks for the info Tom and GG. I have some calls to make regarding these issues. Really don't want to stay some where I have to constantly be wondering about safety.
Minni

PS. I'll let you guys know what happens and where I'll stay. Would love to buy you guys a drink when I'm there.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
XR - Her original question was about security - not about the management. So, if you have something to contribute to the security of the place, for her 1-week stay, then feel free.

Any problems you had with previous management during your long-term rental should be irrelevant.

She PM'd me and I gave her some details about previous problem.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Minni, did I understand correctly that you are talking about renting a house for a week or so?

I see no reason to worry. I don't live there, but know people who own homes and they are very happy with the environment and security. Here is the link to the archived thread on Casa Linda. I suggest you check out some of these threads and see what other owners and renters have said. http://www.dr1.com/forums/search.ph...d=305628&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
JanH said:
XR - Her original question was about security - not about the management. So, if you have something to contribute to the security of the place, for her 1-week stay, then feel free. Any problems you had with previous management during your long-term rental should be irrelevant. She PM'd me and I gave her some details about previous problem.

Jan, I am not trashing Casa Linda. I know many people are very happy there. But the ones that have been posting all over the board how everything's fine seem to always be the folks who own there. I must have missed the spot where she said she was buying a house in Casa Linda?

So it would seem to me that both my experiences and GirlieGirl's experiences would be of more value to her.

The part about her only asking about security so I should be quiet is just silly. I won't rehash the myriad of problems I had with my rental here on the board. I would just say that at that time I paid a great deal of money expecting good service and good living conditions. I received neither and was very unsatisfied with the whole experience.

Any time anyone asks, I will relate the details privately and folks can judge that experience for what it's worth when considering where to spend their hard earned vacation dollars. I am very sorry if that upsets you. I do not have any axes to grind but you reap what you sow, what happened did happen, and it's only fair that information is shared so people can make informed decisions.

Tom (aka XR)

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Not upset, sweet Tom - really.

As a homeowner, I don't care if anyone rents in CL or not.

I think GlowWorm stuck to her original question and answered appropriately.

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Yup, just for a week

Thats how long we are going to be staying this time. Spoke to Moniki who is going with me and she said that these things could happen anywhere. We could even be ripped off by the people that are going to be with us. (Not a happy thought) Anyway we are going to give it a shot. Hopefully we'll get to meet some of you guys while we're there.

Jan thanks for the reply.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Minni, I live in Sosua. If my wife or I can be of help to you during your visit, please let us know.

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Thanks Ken. I appreciate your offer as I've never been to Sosua only Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Yup, just for a week

Minni said:
Thats how long we are going to be staying this time. Spoke to Moniki who is going with me and she said that these things could happen anywhere. We could even be ripped off by the people that are going to be with us. (Not a happy thought) Anyway we are going to give it a shot. Hopefully we'll get to meet some of you guys while we're there. Jan thanks for the reply.
I am sure you will have a great time. As you say those things can happen anywhere. It's just good to be a little extra vigilant because people coming to the DR for the first time I think see these guys with the guard uniforms and shotguns and think that's the ultimate protection, and here unfortunately often times it is not. I think it creates a false sense of security. As for the rest, at CL or anywhere else, what you're paying is a lot of money for a DR rental so if anything isn't proper make sure they make it right. There is a tendency here in this country I've found to let things slide because they expect they aren't going to be seeing you again anyway.

Enjoy your trip, and look Alba and I up to when you get down here!

Tom (aka XR)