Iam so dissapointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
With the quality of posts that I've been reading lately. What the heck is happening with DR1. For the 5 or 6 years (I can't recall exactly) that I've been on the board it has slowly degenerated to a battle field for race wars and is becoming a lynch pin for ethnic and cultural propagandas. It appears that every other week some nut case opens a thread that practically takes us to the brink of war. The Dr is a beautful country, there is so much to learn and so much to enjoy that I can't understand why some people are set on tearing it down. There is enough room for every color, size, shape and political affiliations. I hate to leave this board but every day that passes it is becoming more and more difficult to deal with the type of mudslinging that is taking place. Moderators please do something , anyting.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We are talking about 2 or 3 threads out of the many that are started each week. It's like driving, you remember the car wrecks you drive by, but not all the cars that go past you.

You know who the posters are, just add them to the ignore list.
I might even add a feature that if a person gets "x" amount of ignores they are automatically removed. Kind of like the tribe has spoken :)

DR1 is like any community, people come and go, plus it ebbs and flows.

Trust me, next month you would have forgotten about all the garbage some people spout.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I don't think it is that bad? It is true that now and again someone comes along with an agenda but they get rooted out quite quickly. Justice is quite harsh here on the DR1 board....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
When a thread goes beyond repair it's gets closed. What would you suggest? Sometimes a simple question is asked and because some of us don't live 24/7 on the computer the thread heads south and becomes unrepairable.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree, Jwb, that it seems as though there has been a change in nature of threads lately. The best thing to do is either put names of posters you'd rather not deal with on your ignore list--which means that you will see threads minus the posts of those who usually contribute nothing of value--or just pass over the threads you consider of no value. I do the latter. However, if Rob is going to begin using "ignores" as a basis for action, then I'll start using that feature.

To find your ignore list, click on the
user cp button at the top of the page. Then look for the line of buttons, one of which is "Edit Ignore List". Click on it. You can then enter the board names of those posters you want to ignore, clicking on the "Update List" button when you are done.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I agree with Chris...

Is not so bad here on DR1. You just need to have very tough skin and not take it personal.

After awhile I got the hang of it. I learned to scrutinize the derogatory statements and see if for what it is. Nothing to do with me. I do lapse once in awhile, but for the most part, I just ignore childish statements and such.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Every "Family has an uncle that comes to their parties,..

...has too much to drink,and wants to pick a fight with everyone there!We get our share of "Uncles",and "Aunts" too! Most leave after trying to cause problems.Some remain,and become "Moderators"!
Point is,if you don't like reading the "National Enquirer" don't!

There are many forums here,pick the ones where you feel most "at home"!

CC

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
What's the problem?

I thought the reason we have several forums for different tastes erased the problem of mixing hard stuff with the banality of everyday stuff.

Those who want to know about resort information, beaches, paradise, margaritas and stuff like that, have their forum. Those who want to deal with business have their choice. Legal buffs? Taken care of.

So what's the problem? The open was conceived as the "bad boy" in DR. This is not for the Saddam Hussein's of this world(timid, scared, in hidding) The open has even become hard nose to the point where some of the information thrown here is banned in the press.

So if you don't like this forum, there are others in DR for softies.
Of course, I agree some of us go into personal attacks. That is so stupid. I have been attacked personally by some, but my skin is too thick for proper response. I just ignore them and go on with my stuff. I only read the hard stuff in DR1. Why would I want to know what is the best drink served in Punta Cana?

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Golo" recieves more "Personal Attacks" than anyone on the Forum!

Yet he seldom,if ever,responds in kind! He states his opinions,tastes,insights,experiences,and then endures the attacks of those who have no personal opinions,tastes,insights,and/or, experiences from which to respond.

"Don't Shoot The Messenger"!

You may not like whate he says,but then,"The TRUTH" often hurts"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Rob: it would be great to have some kind of action taken if a user gets ignored by too many users.

Another option: why not make it public how many users are choosing to ignore them? Kind of like a hall of shame. That might encourage people to think a bit more before they spout total drivel.

I have 2 people on my ignore list, and it looks like another guy is close to qualifying himself.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
adrianb said:
Rob: it would be great to have some kind of action taken if a user gets ignored by too many users.

I have 2 people on my ignore list, and it looks like another guy is close to qualifying himself.

hmmm, I wonder who that is?! ;)

Stay well,
Amy

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
I think Robert's comment rings true - we tend to only remember the bad posts. But , for the most part, the DR1 posts are consistently informative. There are alot of intelligent people that post on this board. I'm still trying to figure Golo out. I think he has listening devices planted at the National Palace and the Police station.

I think you will find jwb, that the overall intellect of DR1 posters is quite high. Hillbilly, PIB, Ken, Robert, and Chris Collins to name a few are exceptionally high intellect. You can take their comments to the bank. Really, the DR1 board is a part of my daily reading. I know each time I peruse the DR1 posts that Escott, Texas Bill, Dolores, Keith_R, ...someone is going to have great information that your not going to find in the Lonely Planet guide or other insight into the DR culture.

There will be some blaise posts, but for the most part, you're getting quality reading.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Seriously

This board is one of the richest sources of info in the DR.
The people (who I've met so far) that post on the board are for the most part intelligent and witty, which makes it hard sometimes to figure out whether a certain comment was meant fasiciously (sp?!) or in good humor.
As to the posts that are meant to cause a fight or are not of interest to me - I don't read 'em.

I agree with Rob and Adrian - an 'ignore' system would work well if there was a consequence or two to being ignored by too many people, whatever that number may be.
Rob, how would you do that? Also, what's to stop someone from just logging back in under a new identity?

jwb - do you feel like the integrity or substance of the information that's being passed back and forth has degenerated? or is it that you're just tired of wading through the non-consequental posts in order to find what you're interested in?

Stay well,
Amy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Seriously

Originally posted by amy2761 I agree with Rob and Adrian - an 'ignore' system would work well if there was a consequence or two to being ignored by too many people, whatever that number may be.
Rob, how would you do that? Also, what's to stop someone from just logging back in under a new identity?

Amy, very briefly, and while you are waiting for Rob to give the complete response, I believe he is able to check the ISP (internet service provider) from which the message came. The ISP is the company that gives you a connection to the internet.

I, for example, have several email addresses. but all would include the ID number assigned me by Codetel, my ISP.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Ignore button, Hmmmmm!

I never used that option before because I assumed that everyone has the right to state their views, and everyones views should be taken into consideration. Shamely enough some people views are vial and are so provocative that they offer very little, other than to create division amongst the rest of the posters, much to my surprise some of them operate with the blessing of some moderators, while others force their way through. either way it really has to stop:tired:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Oh Yeah!

Well I think we should have the program changed to automatically set up a global ignore for any poster who can't spell.

Tom (aka XR)

By the way, the word you were looking for is vile not vial. Does pointing that out get me added to your ignore list yet? Or are you not seeing my posts already ... ?! I want to be the first non-banned poster to reach 500 ignores. Then I will be able to say anything I want and no one will see it!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I never even think of using the ignore button. I'll be missing all the fun! Where else does one get so many good posters and so many ludicrous posters together in one cyber-room. You folks wanting to use your ignore buttons are way too serious. And if we only had serious stuff on here, it would be pretty boring.

This is an on-line board -- and it has grown into a pretty tame one over the last year. You don't have to talk to anyone if you don't want to. You don't even have to read what "the baddies" have to say. You can participate as much, or as little as you want. I like to sit back and see the on-line flame wars play out - its is way better than a game... For crying out loud, its not serious... I say categorically that the DR1 board will not start the next war in the world - now the next war would be serious. The DR1 board in my opinion is there to inform, to discuss to debate, and to have fun.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Tachy Goes to Coventry Mod

This will allow me to effectively add a user or users to every member's 'Ignore List'. However, users in this list can still see their own posts and threads etc.

Hehehe, you think everything is fine, but not quite sure why nobody is replying to your posts.

The above mod will happen when we upgrade the board over Christmas.

Let me add. A bunch of new stuff will be added to the board in this upgrade :)

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Re: Tachy Goes to Coventry Mod

Robert said:
This will allow me to effectively add a user or users to every member's 'Ignore List'. However, users in this list can still see their own posts and threads etc.

Hehehe, you think everything is fine, but not quite sure why nobody is replying to your posts.

The above mod will happen when we upgrade the board over Christmas.

Let me add. A bunch of new stuff will be added to the board in this upgrade :)

When you upgrade, can you fix the time too? I always feel like I have a 12 minute look into the future whenever I visit this board.

And what about that location field under our name, will we be able to fill that out with the upgrade?

Smooches...Clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.