departure tax

Yakie Rose

Dec 15, 2003
Does anyone know the current departure tax fee.....i've heard $ 10 Us to $20 US ???
Also, does anyone know how many ounces of duty free liquor a person can bring INTO Dominican?? We are going for a few weeks and wanted to bring in a bottle or two.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Departure tax is 20 US. Not sure how much you can bring into the country but why would you want to? Booze is cheap there unless you're bringing something that not available in the DR.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Yakie Rose said:
Does anyone know the current departure tax fee.....i've heard $ 10 Us to $20 US ???
Also, does anyone know how many ounces of duty free liquor a person can bring INTO Dominican?? We are going for a few weeks and wanted to bring in a bottle or two.

Bring duty free liquor into a Dominican and he or she will be very uncomfortable. You can serve a Dominican drinks, of course. I presume you mean to the Dominican REPUBLIC, or the DR. The actual name of where you are going from your country the United.

They don't really search tourists all that much but certainy a couple bottles each won't cause a stir. Don't buy duty free rum though as it is only about $4 a bottle in stores and very very good.

And $20 US to leave EACH - if you are on AA or CO it is in your ticket already - if a low cast charter then you may pay it when you check infor your outbound flight.

Also A $10 tourist card EACH to enter if not provided by the air carrier and that is a charter only thing, the scheduled airlines do not provide them.

Last edited:

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
Re: Re: departure tax

ricktoronto said:
Bring duty free liquor into a Dominican and he or she will be very uncomfortable. You can serve a Dominican drinks, of course. I presume you mean to the Dominican REPUBLIC, or the DR. The actual name of where you are going from your country the United.

Good catch. My brain was starting to hurt until I read your reply. I was thinking, into what ... into Dominican..... airspace, prominence, culture?

But most curious of all is the particular liquor that might be imported. A liquor that must accompany travel... What is it?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: Re: Re: departure tax

Festero said:
Good catch. My brain was starting to hurt until I read your reply. I was thinking, into what ... into Dominican..... airspace, prominence, culture?

But most curious of all is the particular liquor that might be imported. A liquor that must accompany travel... What is it?

Stuff like Johnnie Walker , Wild Turkey, etc., and other premium brands that would have to be imported into the DR are a lot cheaper at the duty free in Miami airport than they are in a Supermercado in the DR. You see a lot of Dominicans with these 2 and 4 bottle packages getting on the plane when I go down, so they must find it less expensive than at home.

They may be cheaper or similarly priced in the airport duty free in the DR (you can buy duty free on arrival before immigration), but I doubt it.