Getting around DR

breckalan

Dec 19, 2003
breckalan.com
Hi. My first question is how to get from the Punta Cana Airport to my resort at Samana Bay Village? Are the buses easy? Also once we're there how do we get around the Samana Peninsula? Are bikes easy to rent? Taxis available? Good hikes? Any thoughtts would be appreciated.

Thanks B.A.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Get to Santo Domingo and take the Caribe Tour or Metro bus to Samana. Comfortable, airconditioned buses. Caribe Tour has more departures than Metro. On Samana Peninsula, taxis are available, so are rental cars and motorcycles. Guaguas (public transportation) are available to almost anywhere.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
I agree with Ken. Someday, sometime, he'll be wrong, maybe, but not yet .Our experience with Metro from Samana to SD was excellent. Clean, cheap, efficient.

Motorbike rental is easy in Samana. Negotiate the price and check the bike (test drive) before you settle the deal.

Can't tell you about hikes from Samana, but there are some good ones around Las Galeras that we have taken. I suggest you speak to Kim Beddal in Samana. Her whale watching trip was also excellent, thanks again, Ken. Enjoy! Stan.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Youy'll have a great time.

I want to underline Stan's caution about checking the motorcyle you are thinking of renting. Don't just take a check drive, but go over it with a fine tooth comb. Even small dents and scratches should be noted on the rental form. Better to err on side of being picky. Because when you bring it bike, the bike is going to receive a very thorough inspection and any damage not identified before you took it will be charged to you.

That isn't just Samana, but anywhere in the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are that adventurous

Why not go to Sabana de la Mar and take the ferry across the bay?

Far be it for me to outright reject what Ken has suggested but it is like 8 hours or more, or, in the US, like landing at Charlotte, going to Nashville and then to Washington DC.

In other words you will travel maybe six hours West(+/-) fromPunta Cana to Santo Domingo. Most likely you will have to spend the night there since the buses to Samana leave at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
(Give or take a half hour). Then you have a four (at least) hour ride going Noretheast to Saman?.

I won't say that it will be easier to take the Sabana de la Mar route, but, depending on your time of arrival, you should be in your hotel by evening. Look at any of the maps featured on this site or on the Internet and you will see that you just have to take a bus to Higuey, and then another one to Sabana de la Mar.
And it will be fun, what with everyone wanting to know everything about you and where you are from and how and why you are doing this...You will be the center of attention...

Think about it...or get a flight to Puerto Plata or Santiago...

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No question that Sabana de la Mar will be more of an adventure. Just be certain you get there before the last ferry crosses to Samana in the PM.