Solo travel to DR - general advise

mvn

Jan 12, 2004
Hi,

I am male traveller arriving in DR from Dublin, Ireland for first time 21 Jan for 4 weeks vacation. My holiday plan is mainly around windsurfing - hence plan to spend most of my time in Cabarete. Hwr, I am also very interested in seeing other(less touristy) places in DR, doing other outdoor activities and, as a fluent Spanish speaker, meet some locals and see the 'real' DR.

I am curious about how easy it will be to meet other solo travellers in/out of Cabarete who may have similar holiday plans to the above. Any advice/recommendations on this and any 'must dos' would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
MVN

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Must Do

Go to Lax in Cabarete in the evenings and speak to people - there are plenty of people in Cabarete who come down for a few weeks and kick around the island, many of them windsurfers or kite-boarders. Also, Kite Beach Hotel (about a 3 minute drive out of Cabarete on the Puerto Plata side) is a good place to meet people. Bozo beach too (within walking distance, also on the Puerto Plata direction).

Stay well,
Amy

mvn

Jan 12, 2004
Thanks for the reply Amy. Was(am) a little concerned about how easy it might be to hook up with other solo w-surfers/DR explorers during a long 4 week trip.

Ta much!

mvn

Jan 12, 2004
That's clear - I'll leave my shyness here (with the bad weather, dark evenings etc.!) before getting on the plane. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me.