Sending something by US Postal Service

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
I have a question:

If I was to send a regular envelope by U.S. Postal Service to the Dominican Republic, would it get there? I have heard that when sending something to DR, it never gets there. The letter does not have any value and it would be sent to a major Hotel in Boca Chica.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
It used to be as you heard, mail never or rarely ever got through, but from a few years ago, efficiency has been excellent if you compare it with how it used to be. However i'd not send any valuables through it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If it obviously of no value, like a postcard or an aerogramme (how quaint that sounds) it might just reach the recipient. Although I have a private mailing (POBI) address some of my dopier friends still sent their Christmas cards to my street address, and guess what, some even got here!

The postman and his skills are another matter. Like all the houses in our residencial, we have a mailbox by the gate, but he - like most private messengers - prefers to leave the letters on the drive, especially on a rainy day.

Chiri

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Snowballs in Hell First, Thrown by Flying Pigs

negrecita2003 said:
I have a question:

If I was to send a regular envelope by U.S. Postal Service to the Dominican Republic, would it get there? I have heard that when sending something to DR, it never gets there. The letter does not have any value and it would be sent to a major Hotel in Boca Chica.

It will NOT arrive, ever, never, not in a billion years.

If its a letter fax it to the hotel for the guest's attention. As long as it isn't a Dear John letter or something. No postal service to speak of exists and you are looking at around $30 for a FedEx envelope (which WILL get there).

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Last Christmas I sent two envelopes to my girlfriend - 1 (a Christmas card) never reached her. After a month she was able to track down the second 1 (a small bottle of vitamins) at the post office.

On the other hand, a fedex envelope (about $30) arrived at the house in like 2 days which I found pretty impressive.

Does anyone know of the success ratio and prices these days of something being mailed back here from DR? In 2002, I was 3 for 3 with post cards. Even though it took 1 month a stamp was only 12 pesos.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Worked for me one time

About 3 years ago I sent a US foreign postal money order for $100 as a test case to the address of a house in a good neighborhood.

It made it in about a week, and the money was collected.

I never found out what exchange rate was obtained, but it cost me less than $5 overhead total (excluding exchange rate).

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
When I first moved to Puerto Plata, of course, I had not a clue how to get mail delivered to me from Canada. Upon suggestion from my employer, and after learning that my mother had sent me a letter the month before, I went to the Post Office and explained my situation. What happened next still makes me smile. I was sent into the sorting area and myself and two Dominican ladies sat there and went through all the mail until we found my letter, plus a couple more for me from friends and also some mail sent to Canadian co-workers of mine that just happened to be sitting in the back room of the POP post office as well !!!
So, every couple of weeks from that point on, me and the ladies would sit in the sorting office and go through the mail as they would giggle away thinking (I'm sure) crazy gringa!
Aah... the good old days !
Marlie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a USPS service

I think it is called International Express Mail that does get through very well....That would be the cheapest.

Registered Mail also gets through.

Chris in NJ: Tell your girl maggie to open an account in Business Mail there in POP. You mail whatever to Miami, and she gets it in POP. Safe and sure. She pays by weight so don't send her batteries for her inverter!! A letter is about RD$10 or RD$15 pesos and packages by weight, @$2.50 or $3.00 a pound.

HB

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
I have sent photos, letters by USPS global(international) priority mail and I am 3 for 4 now. All arrived in 2-4 weeks. One letter was lost. Now I am perfect with FedEx, used that several times now sending valuables(clothes, gifts, etc) and generally receive within 4-5 days of my sending. So if it is valuable and/or must get there, best choice is to use FedEx, that's just my opinion.
dale7(Howard)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
negrecita2003 said:
I have a question:

If you use the us postal service, send it at your own risk. But keep in mind that it will probably not get to the destination. The us post office in Reading, Pa , will not secure a package sent to the DR. Wonder why??

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I've sent letters, magazines, pictures all in the Global Priority, using the large envelope (max. 4 lbs. and only $9) and have never had problems. I usually send stuff to a campo outside of the captial so I think there is less likely of it getting "lost", and when I have sent something to someone in Sto. Dom. it was to the bank where my friend worked. Over the last 3 years I've been sending about 4-5 times a year these envelopes and they've all arrived within 3 weeks.

Good luck.

p.s. I've also sent regular cards (and sometimes with money in them) and they've always arrived. What I wouldn't send is a package without going through a fedex or ups type service. So I try to keep everything to 4lbs and fit them into the large envelopes.

kunky

Oct 6, 2003
from here in ontario, canada, i send a letter to a friend in sosua, and i have also sent parfume via regular mail and everything has always arrived, it takes about 7-10 days, but there has never been a problem.