spanish/english computer dictionary

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hello All,

I am trying to find a good, basic Spanish/English dictionary that would cover computer terms. It doesn't have to be anything overly fancy. It just needs to have a good Spanish definition of English computer terms.

A few years ago, on our first trip to Cabarete we were befriended :) by a young kid who sells jewellery on the beach (I know, I know, but we have gotten to be quite fond of him) and he has expressed an interest in computers. On our last trip, he showed us a computer book that another of his North American friends had brought down to him, but he admitted that he could not understand a lot of it, despite using his Spanish/English dictionary. It just didn't cover the words and terms that he needed.

I'd like to locate a dictionary that would be useful to him, and I was hoping that some of you guys could help. I have found a few at Amazon, but I am not sure which would be best (having the best definitions in Spanish).

Before anyone starts on about how I am being taken in, don't. We've known him for about three years now and he has never asked us for money or anything else. We do buy jewellery from him but it is really quite comical because he seems to hate to take money from us.

I hope to encourage him in his interests and IF HE APPLIES HIMSELF I hope to see him make a success of his life. He's really a nice kid.

(sorry to blither on so much, feeling a little defensive)

Rose

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Only one worth the money

Franklin DBE-1450 for $49.99. Unless you want to pay double for the same one that speaks.

All others are more phrasebooks etc., and are not worth 2 cents. The Franklin does verb conjugations and for that alone it is worth it.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Rose,

No need to be defensive. He sounds like a great kid. There are indeed success stories like his here. He sounds like a good candidate for one. The thing is that most people in this country who are that motivated will eventually move up.

We wish you the best and hope he turns out.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Yep,
Franklin 1450, Mirriam Webster version is one that I have is very good and inexpensive. I did get a talking Franklin 1840 Larousse from Rick and that is awesome, best one I have ever had. Some of these electronic translators can be picked up very cheap on auction type of sites. I typed in words in english such as jack(phone) and email, etc and they were translated into Spanish and vice versa.

Now if you are asking for an advanced dictionary in book form with computer terms included, I am unsure but I will check on that and see what I find but usually auction/discount sites, buy it now type of sites at discounted prices, will have very cheap prices and you can do shopping without leaving the home.
dale7

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

I hadn't really thought about one of the electronic dictionaries, but that looks like a good idea. Better get him the ac adapter as well (looks like it is sold separately.

Thanks again, and if anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate the advice.

Rose

Last edited:

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
...a university bookstore or a regular bookstore in Santo Domingo...or any bookstore in spanish speaking larger centers...google that! ;)

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Not 100% Required

rmary said:

I hadn't really thought about one of the electronic dictionaries, but that looks like a good idea. Better get him the ac adapter as well (looks like it is sold separately.

Rose

The adapter may be available at Radio Shack ( I bet it will be hard to find specifically from Franklin) but fortunately the batteries last for some time. Dale7's larger version uses everyday AA's while the smaller one I originally recommended uses possibly somewhat pricier CR2032 wafer type batteries. Even though the talking part is not essential , depending on the availability of the AC adapter you might want to consider the larger one.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Rmary,

You originally said that you wanted an English/Spanish dictionary of computer terms. I am not familiar with any.

As Rick says, however, for general translation an electronic one is the only way to go. The hardest part of Latin languages is the almost endless verb forms. Those forms are not listed separately in paper dictionaries, even big ones. Whenever you hear a strange verb form (which is all the time), you need to be able to do an electronic search to see what it means.

The pronunciation feature is sometimes useful, too.

I wouldn't worry about an ac adapter. In my experience, the batteries are very long lived, lasting months or even more than a year. The dictionary turns itself off when not in use, conserving battery life. Also, the ones I've seen used the smaller "AAA" batteries rather than "AA" ones.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I found this site on line.

Maybe other members here would like to add to it.

Wait! I found an even better one
http://www.ist.net/spandict/
But of course if you don't know anything about a computer you won't understand the lingo in either language.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Exactamente

andy a said:

As Rick says, however, for general translation an electronic one is the only way to go. The hardest part of Latin languages is the almost endless verb forms. Those forms are not listed separately in paper dictionaries, even big ones. Whenever you hear a strange verb form (which is all the time), you need to be able to do an electronic search to see what it means.

I wouldn't worry about an ac adapter. In my experience, the batteries are very long lived, lasting months or even more than a year. The dictionary turns itself off when not in use, conserving battery life. Also, the ones I've seen used the smaller "AAA" batteries rather than "AA" ones.

Regrettably the recommended one is now using these flat lithiums that are $5 each in Toronto and you need 2 ( obviously to make the thing smaller in size) and I wonder just how much they are in SD. 5 sets you have paid the cost of the device.

And yes when you see puso, pudo, sigo, pondre, etc. or compound verb tenses the translation machine is a godsend.

There is one good book called 501 Spanish Verbs - more of a text really but the discussions on conjugation and the verb tables are indispensible (all 501 verbs in all 13 tenses) . If you know them and want to refresh, there is a baby version of 200 verbs that is pocket sized and VERY useful for study.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Guys (by the way, I use the term "guys" as gender neutral :)),

I really appreciate all the time and effort you are putting into this.

What I am looking for is something more along the lines of what Anna posted the link to, but preferably in book form or in some kind of electronic form. In other words, if the Franklin 1450 includes these words and phrases, that would be great.

Bear in mind, that this is for a native Spanish speaker, so I am not sure how important the verb conjugations would be (I could well be wrong in that :)).

Rose

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Get the Franklin

rmary said:

In other words, if the Franklin 1450 includes these words and phrases, that would be great.

Bear in mind, that this is for a native Spanish speaker, so I am not sure how important the verb conjugations would be (I could well be wrong in that :)).

Rose

Yes it has these words and also hs some typical phrases. Verb conjugations are esier in English but they are what make sense out of sentences. It is totally bidirectional (what it does in English it does in Spanish) and you tend not to find that in these devices.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Marginally Better

Systran (and Altavista's babelfish site which they power) has some pretty mediocre translations once you get into full sentences. That and it is hard to carry a PC with an always on internet connection as you travel around the DR (the ethernet cable alone would weigh you down since you'd need 500 miles of it) . I think the one in the pocket is more portable.

These devices are aids to navigation, you have to learn the language if you want to use it regularly.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Get the Franklin

Thanks so much for all the help you have given me with this. I just wanted to make sure that I am getting something that will actually be useful for him, especially pertaining to computer terms.

Thanks again,

Rose