Altos de Chavon fees

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
Altos the Chavon entrance is not free anymore, cedula-carriers pay 40 pesos per person and foreigners 3 US$ per person. They have also setup a paybooth at the top end of the stairs to the Chavon river as there were tourguides who tried to enter their customers for free by climbing up the 300+ steps, only to find that if they didn't pay they were send back the steps again.
Also the government as of last week has increased entrance fee to Parques Nacionales del Este ( .i.e. Saona, Pamilla, Piscina Natural ) to 100 pesos a person, locals, kids or foreigners alike.

CB.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I supposed that Casa de Campo guests will not be paying entrance fee. Is it so? I don't see a problem with them charging to people not staying at the resort, after all they built it, maintain it, they are entitled to make a profit out of it.

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
No, Casa de Campo people don't pay. It's just that a lot of restaurants and shops are suffering now. Where before 100's of tourists would weekly stroll the streets, buy bits and pieces and come back for dinner, now they are not exposed to this lovely place here because tour companies are not willing to pay this fee for their clients.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Doesn't Casa de Campo own the restaurants there (except for the French and the Mexican)? I kinda feel that these people coming to see Altos de Chavon do not expend much money there. Just a guess.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
I was able to get through the gates to the Campo de Casa marina with a senorita and my taxi driver without paying. But the guard was a little difficult and my driver had to turn over his cedula and drivers license. Surprisingly, for a posh little place with lots of high class shops and few tourists, I wondered why they were so stringent on wanting to keep day trippers (with money)out. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to pay on the next visit.