Golf at Playa Dorada

J

Jayne

We are travelling to Playa Dorada next month. My husband is a keen golfer and would be interested to know more about the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course there. How much are the green fees ?

B

Bill

Hi Jayne:

Played the RTJ course the past Nov. and don't recall the cost except the fees were very reasonable like maybe $25 and caddies were mandatory. We did not complete the round because of the heat. That was in Nov so if you go next month be prepared for some hot golf. In spite of all that the course is beautiful, hotels are great. We stayed at the Jack Tar Village which is all inclusive and the food is out of sight, four or five restaurants, open bar, nightly entertainment. Jack Tar is only one of maybe ten or twelve properties in the Playa Dorado complex so there is plenty to do nite and day. You also have the opportunity to take a short trip to Sosua which is a little Bohemian type village. Very interesting. A cabbie that hangs out at JTV named Hector will be glad to drive you around or if you prefer to drive yourself he will even rent you his cab for the day or week. All for now. Have fun. Bill

M

Mark

I'm pretty sure the green fee structure is 450 pesos for 18 holes (green fees), 130 pesos (mandatory caddy fee paid at the pro shop), and then the tip for the caddy. (I think a half decent tip is considered 10-20USD.) If you require rental clubs, I think they charge about 100 pesos. All in all it's not real cheap, but the course is quite nice and in good condition. If your husband is an avid golfer I think he'd enjoy it. As for the caddy situation.....it may seem a little silly that caddies are mandatory and that you have to tip them in addition to the mandatory fee. However, my experience was that the caddies are extremely knowledgable, know the course well, are quite friendly, and probably worth the few extra dollars.

D

DR One

Playa Dorada Golf Course Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata Tel. (809) 320-3344/320-4262 Fax 320-2773 YEAR OPENED: 1976 DESIGN CONSULTANT: Robert Trent Jones GOLF DIRECTOR/Pro: Guillermo G?mez COURSE OWNER: Central Bank of the Dominican Republic COURSE DESCRIPTION: Flat, conditioned course with exceptional greens surrounding the 15-hotel Playa Dorada resort complex PLAYING HOURS: 7 am to 5:30 pm LEAST TRAFFIC: Late afternoons RESERVATIONS: One week in advance NUMBER OF HOLES: 18 MOST CHALLENGING HOLE: 5, 17, 18 LENGTH OF COURSE: Blue 6,730, White 6,302, Red 6,909 yards COURSE PAR: 72 SLOPE RATING: White 68.6, Blue 71.6, Red 70.4 NON-PLAYA DORADA GREEN FEES: US$17/9 holes; US$30/18 holes COST OF CADDY: US$5/9 holes; US$9/18 holes (required) LESSONS: US$35/hr CART FEES: US$15/9 holes; US$23/18 holes CLUB RENTAL FEES: US$5/9 holes; US$9/18 holes OTHER FEATURES: Clubhouse, lockers, pro shop, bar, restaurant, putting green, driving range, memberships, national and international tournaments, Playa Dorada hotels golf packages available