Laws against sexual harassment

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hi All.

In my recent trip to the DR I was talking to a friend who works for a well known ice cream chain in the DR. Her salary is very low (2500 pesos a month for a 6 day work week) and with the current devaluation its bordering on ridiculous. I asked her why she wouldn't look for another job. She said that she's tried but there are very few jobs in the Cotui area. What was shocking to me was that her revelation that a couple of the places she applied for a job the guys that "interviewed" her just flat out told her that they would give her the job if she slept with them, so she's given up looking for employment in Cotui, and will wait until she finishes college. Now, I know that a lot of bosses sleep with their subordinates in the DR, but I guess I'm a little shocked at the boldness of these guys. I thought that normally the boss would start throwing hints around, etc...and see if she took the bait, but according to her this was a flat out "if you sleep with me, I'll give you the job, otherwise NO." She also told me she knows a store in Cotui where the owner's son sleeps with all the girls that work there. They have to is they want to keep their job.
My question is, are there any laws against sexual harassment in the DR? Even if it just on the books?
I know that in a country where the newspaper ads read like "Looking for secretary...must be good looking, age between 20 and 25, etc..." people wouldn't do anything about this, but I just wondered...
Very infuriating...

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
how familiar are you with the DR?

what you described is widespread and common in all sorts of DR businesses

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Dude, I was born and raised in the DR. I know it is common practice...my question was about the laws...

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
As a matter of fact there is a law against all kind of sexual harrasments, it was introduced in 1997 (24-97) modifying and extending several articles of the dominican Penal Code, in the part of "Crimes against persons". What it is sad is that most of the time the offended party does not have the "cojones" to file a complaint through the respective authority.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There are "Laws" against just about everything in the DR!

you should know that!!!!!!!!!!! They are selectively enforced to give the police/military/politicos POWER!!!!

As far as the girls who sleep with the boss inorder to keep their jobs,does he hold a gun to their head??? If not,they are just whores!

Most of the girls I know who sleep with their "Superiors" are glad to do it! They enjoy the prestige,and other benefits!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'm not trying to be funny but several people in the DR say that sexual harassment is when you only put IT halfway in. Just to show you how much importance they give. As a rule, businesses that are owned by foreigners have better ethics.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
You're right

Yeah that kind of behavior (sexual harassment) is unheard of in industrialized nations.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Criss is 100% correct. Most harrasment cases will not go public, because most of the "harrased" do enjoy the benefits.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Re: There are "Laws" against just about everything in the DR!

Criss Colon said:

As far as the girls who sleep with the boss inorder to keep their jobs,does he hold a gun to their head??? If not,they are just whores!

Most of the girls I know who sleep with their "Superiors" are glad to do it! They enjoy the prestige,and other benefits!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

I take it you sleep with your employees...Should be cheaper than paying for sex, since you're already paying them a salary anyway.

Attention all potential investors...The DR is a great place to invest. You not only get cheap labor, but also a steady stable of female employees who you can sleep with without any potential repercutions.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Re: There are "Laws" against just about everything in the DR!

suarezn said:
I take it you sleep with your employees...Should be cheaper than paying for sex, since you're already paying them a salary anyway.

Attention all potential investors...The DR is a great place to invest. You not only get cheap labor, but also a steady stable of female employees who you can sleep with without any potential repercutions.

I've been in he bar business for quite a few years and the girls that have worked for me "I think some were pretty cute" never had to sleep with me to get or keep their job.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
If she hasn't been hired yet then it's really not sexual harrasement, is it?

Don't get me wrong it's still bad, but technically I don't think it's sexual harrassment unless she was required to KEEP sleeping with him in order to KEEP her job.

I've had girls flat out offer me sex for a job many times, but I declined (you don't have to believe me if you don't want to) I told them if they really wanted a job to bring me a resume and most never came back.

Maybe they were insulted by the refusal or maybe they didn't think they had any other skills.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Eddy: You seem like an all around stand up guy. It's good to know not every employer is requiring his employees to sleep with him to keep her job. We need more people like you in the DR.
I gotta tell you, after seeing pics of your "angels", if you haven't asked any of them to sleep with you, then you gotta have very strong ethics...Either that or you know that your wife will kill you if you did that.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
MrMike said:
If she hasn't been hired yet then it's really not sexual harrasement, is it?

I've had girls flat out offer me sex for a job many times, but I declined (you don't have to believe me if you don't want to) I told them if they really wanted a job to bring me a resume and most never came back.

It's not? Try that in the US...and then let's see if it's harassment or not?

Can I be your HR manager? lol

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Suarenz,I guess you never heard the expression:

"Don't shit where you eat"!

Means don't date fellow employees.Believe me,there are pleanty of offers!!I just say "NO!"and the worst,or was it BEST,was a Ukrainian lady!She "Harrased" me!!!
I PREFER to pay! No strings,no problems,more variety,"Cheaper" in the long run!(You can't take a girl to dinner for 400 pesos,but I can take her to my apartment!!!!!!)

In the DR do you know what day all the restaurants AND Cabanas are FULL?Secretaries Day!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I think it's pretty obvious we're not talking about the US, as I understand it in the US pretty much anything can be considered sexual harrassment if it makes someone feel uncomfortable.

I'm glad it's not like that here, I don't like my employees getting too comfortable.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
suarezn said:
Eddy: You seem like an all around stand up guy. It's good to know not every employer is requiring his employees to sleep with him to keep her job. We need more people like you in the DR.
I gotta tell you, after seeing pics of your "angels", if you haven't asked any of them to sleep with you, then you gotta have very strong ethics...Either that or you know that your wife will kill you if you did that.

Probably a combination of both. LOL