Hamburgers in the DR

El Bori

Nov 22, 2003
Anyone experienced enough to shed some light into the taste buds of dominican people as far as Hamburgers are concerned? Data on regional differences would be quite useful...

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Carnivores has a different hamburger. Most of the beef here is like bad venison-dry and of a poor flavor, but their burgers are juicy. It is my hunch that they mix the beef with pork.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
chicken, chicken, chicken....

if you make it out of chicken they'll eat it!

My husbands been in the U.S. for over a year and doesn't like hamburgers, but he likes chicken!

Ground beef isn't something easily obtainable if your live outside of the cities or towns, plus beef is expensive.

Most people eat pork and you guessed it chicken!

Sorry don't have any data.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
DR1 Daily News -- 4 February

Wendy's and Burger King close stores
El Nacional newspaper reports on the shutdown of five Wendy's franchise operations and three Burger King stores. Both companies have posted signs at the locations indicating the restaurants are closed for internal restructure and remodelling. An unnamed spokesperson for Wendy's told the newspaper: "We are working to remodel our branches, make some changes and stock new products," she said. Burger King closed the stores located on Roberto Pastoriza, at the Palacio del Cine and at Calle El Conde at the corner of Palo Hincado. McDonald's closed its store at 27 de Febrero Avenue several years ago.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Most dominicans feel all beef has to be "seasoned" this usually calls for bombarding it with lemon juice, worcestershire sauce and other things and letting it sit awhile. Ground beef does not escape.

I don't know what the big deal is, since if it's a hamburger they're making they are going to fry it till it's nearly burnt and then use equal parts beef/mayonaise/ketchup on the final burger, may even cook the lettuce and (green) tomato a little bit by assembling the sandwich too long before eating it so it seems to me that subtle differences in the tase of the meat would be pretty useless in the final product. Dominicans are not usually the first people in the room to detect subtlety in food flavors, they like big bold flavor statements. (heavy on condiments, especially sugar)

That said my mother in law works wonders with hamburgers, she specially prepares her "sazon" blend in the blender which includes fresh garlic and onions and her hamburger patties are marvelous. I am probaby the only person in her extended family who knows this though because I do not:

1) cook her patties to deat or
2) bathe them in ketchup after cooking them to death

I was disappointed in the quality of beef I purchased when I wanted to make a spagetti dish and some hamburgers. I thought the meat was like hamburger I'm used to purchasing but after cooking it, the taste and texture was all wrong.

I'll try a different store next time.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Try any Supermercado National!

All their meat is very good! Just don't expect to grill,or fry much because it will be tough by "American" standards.Cook,"Low & Slow",or better yet,use the pressure cooker!
Supermercado National used to have ground beef,de "PRIMERA",and de "SEGUNDO".Since the cost of beef has just about tripled in the last few months,they no longer have de SEGUNDO,because they are selling the "cheaper" cuts of beef,and not grinding them into hamberger.Never buy the meat,or chicken that you sometimes see,"Already Seasoned".They use bar-b-que sauce,and lots of garlic to cover the smell of old beef and chicken! If I am buying any meat not from Supermercado National,I poke my finger through the plastic wrap,and take a "smell" before I buy!

Hey,thats how I "pick" girls too! Cris Colon:cool:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Someone told me most cattle here are what you call "free range" cattle in the states (allowed to roam around the ranch rather than staying penned up all their lives) people concerned about animal rights pay more for this kind of beef even though it's tougher because they feel the animals have a better quality of life before they are slaughtered.

So if your Dominican beef seems tough, just remind yourself between spitting out pieces of gristle and picking strings out from between your teeth that you are contributing to some damn cow's quality of life by giving up a a piece of your own.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I think the beef here has a more gamey taste. Like when I ate deer meat. Its a little tougher. It has a more natural taste..to me. I even noticed the chicken here. The breasts are smaller. Not like the special breeding they do in USA to make more white meat. Even the wish bone is little.

I like the burgers in the streets. Lots of condiments and I've always been a big condiment person! Everyone is half done eating and I'm still "decorating" my food!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
It's called hormone treatment

Jan said:
I think the beef here has a more gamey taste. Like when I ate deer meat. Its a little tougher. It has a more natural taste..to me. I even noticed the chicken here. The breasts are smaller. Not like the special breeding they do in USA to make more white meat. Even the wish bone is little.

I think the poor Dominican farmers cannot afford the steroids for their livestock.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I am no rancher, but I have noticed that on those "free ranges" that whereas in the US and Canada the farmers take some care in the types of grasses and forage, that most of the pastures here are nothing more than weeds. Grain fed? forget it. Also, it seems that the bloodlines of the cattle here are pretty poor.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
No fat.....

no taste....got to have at least 10% for a really good burger. Range cattle definitely taste different than those which go thru the stockyard feed lots.

Best, P

Mar 21, 2002
I hope all you guys buying that bacteria infested hamburgers from street vendors don't come down with something that will make you pee blood? Seen it so many times with silly foreigners who think they are eating a hotdog in Manhattan. LA AMOEBA might come to get you!