Cellphone service

disciplemckie

Feb 16, 2004
www.dovemissions.com
My husband and I are bringing a cellphone to a friend in Puerto Plata. It is a Nextel phone that used to have AT+T service. What service providers are available in this area? Would he be able to get this phone activated in Puerto Plata? Thanks for any imput.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The main service providers in Puerto Plata are Codetel (now Verizon) and Orange.

Guillermo P?rez

Feb 13, 2004
OK... there are 2 Digital phone systems used here:

CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) wich in different stages of development, is used in this country by VERIZON, CENTENNIAL and TRICOM.

And GSM (Global System for Mobile) wich is used by Orange, and it's an older technology, but more developed.

If your phone uses a "SIM" chip, it's a GSM phone, if not it's a CDMA phone... either one can be used here.

Both Verizon and Centennial offer 3G technology... Verizon's much better overall... you can connect to the internet via mobile... even DSL.

There is also nation-wide ANALOG network from the old days... but pretty handy when you are somewhere deep withing the island, using a dual band phone.

T

TiberiusMineola

Orange - GSM chip

I had & have a similar problem. I want to buy a Handsrping Treo 270 cell phone; very popular in the States, but not sold in the DR?? I was told by Codetel that no Codetel local service is avialble for this brand. I went to the Orange kiosk at the Caribe' Tours bus treminal, POP; the salesman told me there would be no problem; the neeeded chip could be installed @ the Orange POP booth for 350 Pesos [@ US 5.00 at the moment]. 5 - 6 different wireless plans are available from Orange. I hope that this helps.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Best to check

AT & T is TDMA, I think. If so, it cannot be activated here. You might want to double check that. I am fairly sure, however, since someone I know brought an AT & T phone to a friend, who was unable to get it activated.

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
5165 is wrong type for DR

disciplemckie said:
One is model 3285ATV and the other is 5165.

The 5165 is TDMA which is incompatible with any of the wireless service providers in the DR, but the 3285 is CDMA (Codetel and one other provider, I believe?). I don't know what the ATV suffix stands for though.

Last edited: