Haiti problems?

LAURIES

Jan 20, 2004
I hate to be ignorant... My Fiance and I are planning to travel to DR on our honeymoon. He is really nervous about the fighting in Haiti. Will this affect us at all? Should we be nervous to travel? We are staying in La Romana and Puerta Plata. Thank you for your help!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi LAURIES,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

A poster on our Discussion Board at Rusty's "Unofficial" Riu Website e-mailed the US Consulate in the DR and here is his e-mail and their response, posted unaltered (but with his name removed). FYI I sought and received permission from the sender to post these before doing so. He post as St_patrick on our board.

THE E-MAIL

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 5:25 PM
To: acs.santodom@state.gov
Subject: Information on travel

Dear Sir,

My wife, myself, and several others will be traveling to Puerta Plata Feb 27th- March 5. Is there or should there be any concern about the Haiti situation? We will be staying at the RIU Merengue. Thanks for your information.

(Name Removed)

THE RESPONSE

Dear (Name Removed):

We are receiving numerous calls from American citizens traveling to the Dominican Republic, inquiring about how the political situation in Haiti affects us. Although there has been significant political tension over recent weeks in different parts of Haiti, that situation has not had any effect in the Dominican Republic.

The Dominican Republic and Haiti are two different countries sharing the same island, but with a very well delimited and secure boarder; therefore, all American citizens planning to travel to the Dominican Republic should not changed their plans due to this situation. We do, however, recommend travelers to practice general safety precautions to avoid becoming a victim
of a robbery or any other crime.

If you wish to obtain up to date information on security conditions, call toll-free 1-888-407-4747 in the United States, and 1-317-472-2328 from overseas.

This e-mail is UNCLASSIFIED based on the definitions provided in E.O. 12958.

American Citizens Services Unit (ACS)
Consular Section
U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo
Tel.: (809) 731-4294
(809) 689-6142 (Fax)
acs.santodom@state.gov (e-mail)

This should answer questions and allay the fears of most who are concerned.

Enjoy your trips.

Best regards,

Gregg Andrews
Director & Moderator
Rusty's "Unofficial" Riu Website
Gregg@RiuBambu.com

Domains
www.RiuBambu.com
www.RiuTaino.com
www.RiuNegril.com
www.RiuMelao.com
www.RiuMambo.com

Discussion Board
www.riubambu.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics

wrdski

Feb 23, 2004
LAURIES said:
I hate to be ignorant... My Fiance and I are planning to travel to DR on our honeymoon. He is really nervous about the fighting in Haiti. Will this affect us at all? Should we be nervous to travel? We are staying in La Romana and Puerta Plata. Thank you for your help!
Please don't worry any more than normal travel concerns.The DR is famous for protecting their guests.We have just returned and felt as safe as we have on previous holidays.Go, relax, enjoy, and try the coco loco.