Great Documentary about Bachata

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Here in NYC, I saw an excellent documentary Saturday about the growth in popularity of bachata. It was mostly centered around the career of Luis Vargas (who was a real character) but had other bachateros (Raulin Rodriguez, Luis Segura and others).

If anyone in NYC metro area wants to see a great movie it is playing again this Tuesday (March 2) at Anthology Film Archives, 2nd Ave. and 2nd St., at 9 pm.

The website is:
www.santodomingoblues.com

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Bachata documentary

Hola Chris,

This is wonderful! I wish I lived in NYC just for a few hours to see the film. Bachata is slowly becoming respected and it deserves to be a respected rhythm. Here in Toronto the fly by night fans and non-Dominicans think that bachata is new rhythm and has been around for a short while. How sad! I try and tell them when I hear what they say but I can't do it all. As more information becomes available hopefully the ones who don't know enough will educate themselves. Especially "bachata del pueblo" of which El Mayimbe Antony Santos is the master of still needs to be understood by the newcomers because they think that bachata was created by groups like "Aventura" and let's not go down that road. I will look at the website. Is the documentary in Spanish?

Thanks again!

Chris_NJ said:
Here in NYC, I saw an excellent documentary Saturday about the growth in popularity of bachata. It was mostly centered around the career of Luis Vargas (who was a real character) but had other bachateros (Raulin Rodriguez, Luis Segura and others).

If anyone in NYC metro area wants to see a great movie it is playing again this Tuesday (March 2) at Anthology Film Archives, 2nd Ave. and 2nd St., at 9 pm.

The website is:

Last edited:

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Yes, it is in Spanish with English subtitles.

I am a big fan of Anthony Santos, also. Somebody just told me he would be in NYC for the first time in several years in May. I can't wait.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Bachata documentary

Chris,

this is big news. I would make trip for sure if you tell me when. Antony Santos live is as close to heaven as one can get. Please let me know the date so I can schedule my time accordingly.

Gracias.

Chris_NJ said:
Yes, it is in Spanish with English subtitles.

I am a big fan of Anthony Santos, also. Somebody just told me he would be in NYC for the first time in several years in May. I can't wait.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I will give the dates as soon as I hear firm details of his coming. I only saw him live 1 time - it was in some small town near Monte Criste (Palma Verde). The entire pueblo turned out and it was a great experience.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Bachata Documentary

Thanks! I will look forward to your email.

I am sure the experience was great indeed. Especially since Monte Cristi is not that big and everybody who showed up surely was a fan of his. I am sure the same happens when Raulin Rodriguez plays live there. Those two are just great bachateros!

Chris_NJ said:
I will give the dates as soon as I hear firm details of his coming. I only saw him live 1 time - it was in some small town near Monte Criste (Palma Verde). The entire pueblo turned out and it was a great experience.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
History of Bachata

Thanks for the tip. If you're not already familiar with the following, let me recommend this book: Bachata, by Deborah Pacini Hernandez. I found it an excellent explanation of the social climate in which Bachata developed. Also, her comments on "Bachata Rosa", Juan Luis Guerra's hit album (which did much to 'legitimatize' Bachata) are quite good.

Chris_NJ said:

The website is:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hello there my fellow bachata lovers...

I also saw a great piece when I was in DR in December, it was Bachata Sinfonica - imagine bachata with a great Synphonic Orchestra behind it and high end professional dancers - it was awsome. I stayed in that night to watch the entire thing. it was Monchy y Alexandra, Zacarias F., among others. I wish I can get a video of it or something. I cant remember the channel it was played on.

Hey Lesly, I finally got Raulin's CD when I was there last week, of course, the bootleg version, I couldnt find the original anywhere... Did you get it yet?

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Didn't Juan Luis Guerra use an orchestra on some of his tracks too. I will have to get out my collection - I have 3 of his albums as well as Anthony Santos who I got to see in the DR.
Has Guerra produced anything more in the last few years and if so, what are the titles so I can do a search for them - I would love to add to my collection.
Marlie

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Bachata documentary & other info

Hola Talldrink,

I can't believe you were in the DR again-good for you! I am still waiting patiently for the original release apparently it will be out this month. For all of you who don't know there is Raulin Rodriguez "cd pirateado" on the market. Beware. The real cd titled "Perdido por ti" will be released this month. When I get it I will send you an email with my opinion. I am sure it will be as divine as the others.

Chao,

LDG.

Talldrink said:
Hello there my fellow bachata lovers...

I also saw a great piece when I was in DR in December, it was Bachata Sinfonica - imagine bachata with a great Synphonic Orchestra behind it and high end professional dancers - it was awsome. I stayed in that night to watch the entire thing. it was Monchy y Alexandra, Zacarias F., among others. I wish I can get a video of it or something. I cant remember the channel it was played on.

Hey Lesly, I finally got Raulin's CD when I was there last week, of course, the bootleg version, I couldnt find the original anywhere... Did you get it yet?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Well my review is great. he stuck to his roots and his sister is still doing the chorus with him, always a good combo. his biggest hit is Pequena Quanawate (is a type of flower) or I guess better known as Hay Hombe (Olividarla es Imposible).

Always classic, always good.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Bachata Documentary will be shown again on Friday @ 10PM in NYC

I just received this. The documentary will be shown again - I think I will go and see it again. Anyone interested in bachata should definitely check it out.

PRESS RELEASE: SANTO DOMINGO BLUES :Los T?gueres de la Bachata

Mambo Media
PO Box 110-779
Brooklyn, NY 11211
718.388.0350 / www.santodomingoblues.com
mambomedia@yahoo.com

ADDITIONAL SCREENING: Anthology Film Archives, 2nd Ave. and 2nd St., Manhattan, Friday, March 5th 10 pm. [/B]

“SANTO DOMINGO BLUES” gets additional screening by popular demand.

Luis Vargas, the Supreme King of Dominican Bachata music, leads a hilarious and soulful parade of salty crooners from the villages and slums of Santo Domingo to the streets of New York, where this underdog musical style has become the hottest new phenomenon in Latin music since salsa broke in the early seventies. Bachata is the Dominican Blues, and Luis Vargas is its triumphant guitar king.

After two sold out shows a screening has been added on Friday, March 5, at 10 pm. Filmmaker Alex Wolfe’s highly entertaining tribute to Bachata music is featured at the Anthology Film Archives as part of the Music and Soul in the African Diaspora program.

The surprise hit from last summer’s New York International Latino Film Festival, Santo Domingo Blues played to sold-out audiences and earned rave reviews from viewers and critics alike. Andrian Kreve, New York correspondent for Germany’s Suddeutsche Zeitung, writes:

Having covered both music and film for almost two decades, I had never been to a premiere as exciting as Santo Domingo Blues. It’s a rare case that a film screening moves a crowd to the point of frenetic applause, normally reserved for teen idols or rock gods… The obvious comparison of this film would be Wim Wenders' “Buena Vista Social Club". Just like Wenders Alex Wolfe managed to capture the mood and atmosphere of Latin American music and it’s roots in the Caribbean in a way that can make an audience of American or European gringos love a music it has never heard before.

Santo Domingo Blues is a moving, sexy, often hilarious tribute to the “unsung” singer/guitar-players that have helped transform Bachata from the vilified music of cabarets and brothels to an emblem of national pride. It is centered on the character of Luis Vargas, known as the Supreme King of Bitterness. Luis takes us from the afro-caribbean roots of this Dominican Blues to the big avenues of New York, where bachata has now become the hottest new Latin beat. “Santo Domingo Blues” is a heart-felt immigrant success story filled with Caribbean humor, hot dancing, and lots of great music.

THEATER LOCATION: 32 Second Avenue at Second Street.

TRAVEL: F train to 2nd Ave or 6 train to Bleeker or 2nd Ave.-M15 bus to 3rd St.

TICKET POLICY: Tickets are $8 general admission, $5 for members, seniors & students with ID. Tickets are available day-of-show only, at the box office. Box office opens 30 minutes prior to the first show of the day. Cash only.

--
Alex Wolfe
Mambo Media
P.O. Box 110-779
Brooklyn, New York 11211
mambomedia@yahoo.com
www.SantoDomingoBlues.com
(718) 388-0350