Chidren's International

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Has any one had any dealings with the field office of this organization in Santo Domingo? I dont need info on the organization it self only regarding the SD office-- location, language spoken etc.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
You can contact the general office of the Org here:

P.O. Box 219055 ? Kansas City, MO 64121 ? 800-888-3089

I sponsor several kids there, They send me letters and pics form time to time, but I never had any contact with a local office of any kind there, maybe I'll try too as well.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What I'm trying to do

PICHARDO said:
You can contact the general office of the Org here:

P.O. Box 219055 ? Kansas City, MO 64121 ? 800-888-3089

I sponsor several kids there, They send me letters and pics form time to time, but I never had any contact with a local office of any kind there, maybe I'll try too as well.

I too sponsor a child tru them and have spoken to the main office. What I'm trying to do is a get a specific child that lives in a very poor section of Sto. Do. into the program. I plan on vistiing the field office in two weeks.but found the main office a little cagey about the phone #, why was I going etc.
Any heads up info would be helpful prior to my visit.

JOHN

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
johne said:
I too sponsor a child tru them and have spoken to the main office. What I'm trying to do is a get a specific child that lives in a very poor section of Sto. Do. into the program. I plan on vistiing the field office in two weeks.but found the main office a little cagey about the phone #, why was I going etc.
Any heads up info would be helpful prior to my visit.

JOHN

I spoke to a rep of the Org. on the phone and the reason they ask such questions is in regards to ease the operational logistics behind an sponsor visit to the field, in other words they said that since they enroll children in different programs in several distanced provinces and rural areas it's much more difficult to have an sponsor visit on short notice and be able to reach the sponsored child without the parents consent and to have an adult rep from the Org. present for the child security, all understandable given the actual child welfare conditions in the world.

You can set up a visit with your sponsored child with a 3 to 4 weeks advanced notice to the Org. so they can make sure you can have access to the child and a rep to fill you in on the program etc, as well you can take the child shopping or to have fun if the school time allows for this.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I made contact with all the children I sponsor in the DR, and send them stuff on a regular basis with their parents consent, I think they become more relax once they get to know you a little bit better before you show up and all that, never the less I spoke with a rep from the Org. and explained that you're going to visit the DR for vacation and they were sure they could accommodate you in short notice always that a rep was available in the area the child lives at the time of your visit, she explained to me that they have a very small staff there.

Try and call them a second time and explain that you're visiting DR on vacation and would like it very much if they could arrange for you to pay a visit to your sponsored child, by the way, have you had correspondence with your sponsored child before?.

As far as to enroll a child on the program it could be arranged always that you understand that they have a limited staff and the program is not on the national level, they try to target the poorest and more in need first before they can help others, it sounds a little hard but it works for them, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to have this child join the program always that they offer their program close to where he lives and can obtain their parents consent.
Hard work always pays a good reward, so try a little bit harder.

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Many thanks

PICHARDO said:
I made contact with all the children I sponsor in the DR, and send them stuff on a regular basis with their parents consent, I think they become more relax once they get to know you a little bit better before you show up and all that, never the less I spoke with a rep from the Org. and explained that you're going to visit the DR for vacation and they were sure they could accommodate you in short notice always that a rep was available in the area the child lives at the time of your visit, she explained to me that they have a very small staff there.

Try and call them a second time and explain that you're visiting DR on vacation and would like it very much if they could arrange for you to pay a visit to your sponsored child, by the way, have you had correspondence with your sponsored child before?.

As far as to enroll a child on the program it could be arranged always that you understand that they have a limited staff and the program is not on the national level, they try to target the poorest and more in need first before they can help others, it sounds a little hard but it works for them, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to have this child join the program always that they offer their program close to where he lives and can obtain their parents consent.
Hard work always pays a good reward, so try a little bit harder.
Ricardo--many thanks for all the extra effort you put into this. I will be there in a couple of weeks with a candidate that can use all the help he can get. He's a 2 year old living in Cristo Rey one of the poorest slums, a product of an abusive marriage with a mother that Im not sure sure knows how to handle the whole situation. The family is not aware of orgs. like this and Im going to spend some time on this when Im there so that at the least I can feel when I leave I taken one small step further to help someone. Thanks again for your input,

JOHN