Another DC/VA/MD Hair Salon Thread

Jaminican

Mar 4, 2004
I am a Jaminican (Jamaican and Dominican) that recently relocated to the DC Metro area and cannot for the life of me find a Dominicana to do my hair. I saw the threads in the archives about some lady named Lucia, but when I click on the link the page doesn't come up. Can someone please please please help me.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Hello

If you send me a pm I can give you a phone # for an experienced hair stylist in the Silver Spring area.
She is Dominican.

Carabella

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
ccarabella said:
If you send me a pm I can give you a phone # for an experienced hair stylist in the Silver Spring area.
She is Dominican.

Carabella
Her website is lucyladominicana.com and her number is 703-998-0158.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Good Source for Hair Stylist

Hey Jaminican,

I know there are several in the area. You can contact Cristy Rogriguez. She's a Dominican woman who does stuff out of her house. But her main business is doing bulk product sales to Salons in all of DC, MD,VA, as well as, selling general cosmetology and skin care products (incl. facials). She should know where a lot of the Dominican women are working, informally and formally. I don't know what you need done. If it is just a wash and set with rolos I can do that for free. You can drop me a line at d_taveras@hotmail.com

Here is Cristy's contact info:

Cristy Rodriguez
301-528-2839 and 301-523-7404
She's based out of Germantown, MD
Let me know if you have a problem contacting her. Welcome to town. :classic:
Deelt
Jaminican said:
I am a Jaminican (Jamaican and Dominican) that recently relocated to the DC Metro area and cannot for the life of me find a Dominicana to do my hair. I saw the threads in the archives about some lady named Lucia, but when I click on the link the page doesn't come up. Can someone please please please help me.

dw2004

Apr 22, 2004
Dominican hair stylists

Hello ladies
I know this post is kind of old I'm referring to, but I'm also looking for an experienced Dominican hair stylist. I'm African American with long thick hair, and the only hair stylists who really hook my hair up and know what they're doing are dominican and they're in New York. But since I'm here, it's a hassle trying to go to New York just to get my hair done. Does anyone know of any salons in Silver Spring, MD or surrounding areas? please email me at daralynn70@hotmail.com

marymack

Mar 29, 2004
dw2004 said:
Hello ladies
I know this post is kind of old I'm referring to, but I'm also looking for an experienced Dominican hair stylist. I'm African American with long thick hair, and the only hair stylists who really hook my hair up and know what they're doing are dominican and they're in New York. But since I'm here, it's a hassle trying to go to New York just to get my hair done. Does anyone know of any salons in Silver Spring, MD or surrounding areas? please email me at daralynn70@hotmail.com

DW, are you Dominican

NikkiD

Sep 15, 2004
Dominican Hairstylist

I saw your posting on thewebsite.. It was in reference to finding a Dominican Hairstylist.. I just wanted to just in with you.. I too just moved to the area and was looking for a Stylist.. Were you able to find one that you would recommend?

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
Jaminican said:

You may find the link below helpful. There is Luisa's Hair Salon in Silver Spring, MD. I have tried her and liked her work. I don't go to her exclusively because there are salons closer to me. Also, Luisa's prices can be steep and I think she may have even up her prices after she was featured in the Washingtonian. There are two Dominican owned salons in Mount Pleasant, (D.C.) that I know of. I will try to get their names and numbers for you. I have visited Lucy here in Arlington and have been pleased. What I like most about going to Lucy is that she is seldom busy during the week, there's plenty of parking and she is very friendly. But my needs are simple and I don't get too much done. I keep my hair in a low maintainance Bob, don't color it or highlight it. I do get a perm every four months and a trim every eight weeks or so. Hope that helped.

http://www.washingtonian.com/etc/shopping/greathair/international.html

contributor

Oct 8, 2004
Dominican Hairdressers

Jaminican said:

Hi I am a Jamaican and when I moved to this area from JA I had a hard time too. The hairdressers I had at home did my hair just like the Dominicans. Well I recently found out about a few in DC. I visited Giovanni's before and they are pretty good. That's in DC close to addams morgan I think. I couldn't find one in Baltimore though for the life of me until recently I heard of Manuelas Beauty Salon on East Baltimore Street. I went there and they did a good job too. Now my hair can finally grow back. Hope this info helps you or anybody else looking.

africanviolet

Oct 15, 2004
Here are some I've discovered in the area:

1) Esperanza @ Shear Artistry at 2122 P Street, NW, tel. (202) 429-6850,

2) Carmen at Jaselvis on 8480 Piney Branch Road, (301) 588-1669

Sashe-S Hair Salon (Anne, owner)
8919 Georgia Avenue
301-588-4742

Natsin

Oct 4, 2005
Any new Dominican hairdressers in Fort Washington Area

I know this is an old post, but it was easy to find a Dominican hairdresser living in Elizabeth, NJ and Brooklyn, NY. But now that I'm in Fort Washington, MD, my tresses are suffering. Are there any out this way or even in NoVA? All that I've found so far are in the Silver Spring area....thanks!!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
http://lucyladominicana.com/Acerca_de_Lucy/acerca_de_lucy.html

4600 S. Four Miles Run Dr. Unit C-3
Arlington, VA 22204
Lobby de Carlton Apartments
Tel?fonos:
(703) 998-0158
(703) 566-2218

The wife of my mechanic has a salon at Riggs Road and University Blvd. Her name is Isabel Gil.

A quick search through the archives also shows a few of the other Dominican salons...there are also some home salons in the area that may be a little cheaper. You will not really be able to find NYC prices here.

Luisa's Hair Salon (NEW ADDRESS)
934 Bonifant St.
Silver Spring, MD 20910
301-565-4624
http://www.washingtonian.com/etc/sho...rnational.html
Luisa?s Hair Salon... Spanish music plays in this friendly but not fancy salon, where Luisa specializes in relaxed hair. Many clients are Latino or African-American, who come for uncomplicated styles or a good set and style. The salon, within walking distance of the Silver Spring Metro, can be packed.

AND

Giovani Hair
1802 Adams Mill Rd
Washington, DC
202-797-9251

Esperanza @ Shear Artistry at 2122 P Street, NW, tel. (202) 429-6850,

Carmen at Jaselvis on 8480 Piney Branch Road, (301) 588-1669

Sashe-S Hair Salon (Anne, owner)
8919 Georgia Avenue
301-588-4742

Natsin said:
I know this is an old post, but it was easy to find a Dominican hairdresser living in Elizabeth, NJ and Brooklyn, NY. But now that I'm in Fort Washington, MD, my tresses are suffering. Are there any out this way or even in NoVA? All that I've found so far are in the Silver Spring area....thanks!!

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
LucylaDominicana

I can vouch for Lucy in Arlington and I'll echo what dcareamama has to say about her.

Good luck in your search.

pimentel

Mar 12, 2005
salon yannette conde street

hello please , search information in salon yannette , conde peatonal en Santo domingo .

best wishes
Felix
Jaminican said:
I am a Jaminican (Jamaican and Dominican) that recently
relocated to the DC Metro area and cannot for the life of me find a Dominicana to do my hair. I saw the threads in the archives about some lady named Lucia, but when I click on the link the page doesn't come up. Can someone please please please help me.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Ud. esta presentando sobre salones en Rep. Dom. La pregunta fue dirigida a salones en los EE UU.

The post was regarding hair salons in the US not in DR.

Not to say that Yannette can't do a great job I am sure she can, but to go to another country to get your hair done is just cost prohibitive. But that's just my opinion. I just do my own hair so what do I know about these things.

pimentel said:
hello please , search information in salon yannette , conde peatonal en Santo domingo .

best wishes
Felix

DOUGHBOY809

Oct 9, 2005
Special Touch International
1468-A N.Bearegaurd St. Alexandria, VA
(703) 933-1212
Maria Miguelina Cabrera (owner) is the main hairstylist... but also has 5 assistant, 4 of which are Dominican... but also has a hairstylist from Nicauragua and Hondraus