Dog Purchase in DR

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Pet Purchase in DR

I changed the title:

I was told that the sale of small dogs (teacups and toys) is becoming very popular is a lot cheaper in DR. Has anyone bought one here? Any info? I may bring my little dollars and cage next time I come!

Also, I am looking into buying my mom a parrott (una cotorra) I hear that they are illegal to purchase, is that right?

Last edited:

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Td,

I heard that they were a delicacy at "the House of Wong" in SD. Nothing better than a bowl of sweet and sour chihuahua!

Small dog

Why buy a small dog, go to the beach in Sosua or Cabarete and pick one of the strays up...

? <font size="1"><i><font color="Navy">Wud <i>aka</i> </font></font><font size="6"><font color="Blue"><b><font face="Signature">Hlywud </font></b></font></font><i><font size="1"><font color="DarkRed">"If anybody wud Wud wud"</font></font></i></div>

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Guys, I am really looking into buying a small dog -for less than $1000 dollars!

We have Chinese food (CATS and RATS are big here, not the dogs) and we have strays in the US too!!

Not funny.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Talldrink said:
Guys, I am really looking into buying a small dog -for less than $1000 dollars!

We have Chinese food (CATS and RATS are big here, not the dogs) and we have strays in the US too!!

Not funny.

I don't think Hlywud was joking - stray dogs (pups) are emminently trainerble & a LOT smarter than most of the pedigree/produced for SALE purpose, dogs!! We have TWO virliatars (spelling??), one was born in our front garden by a street dog we befriended, the other 'FOUND' us in the centre of Puerto Plata a year later. BOTH have outlived our Cavalier King Charles spaniel (Toy Spaniel to you US Americans!). They guard the house with GREAT enthusiasm (I could go into their Racism of barking less at the Dominicans than at the Haitians - but that might get this thread closed!!!), show their appreciation 100 times a day for being in a "Protected" environment rather than at danger in the street, & give love without the need to receive in return (They get it anyway!!!!!).

The dog you buy from a Vet., street corner seller or even from a friend, will NOT be vacinated or de-wormed etc, so why NOT get one from the beach? Same amount of vets bills, same amount of care & attention needed & most won't make their messes in the house as they are used to doing outside!! Find one that is three to four months old & you will have a Guardian Angel for LIFE!!!! - Grahame.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
A shop would be better...

Grahame, thanks for you reply, however, when I go to DR I dont stay at the beach sites (only go for a few days or so) and I wasnt thinking of going dog-hunting in the streets when I go back.

I was thinking that there was a 'place' I can go get one, if I have to get the shots, thats fine. But if there is a store, a breeder, a street corner... something, see I dont want to spend a weekend in Sosua searching for a stray.

Am I making sense?

Anything on acquiring a parrot?

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Try the local vet

We have a Dominican street dog that we got from Dr. Bob in Sosua. Someone had found a box of puppies in the road and brought them to Dr. Bob. He often takes in strays.

Many people have asked if we would like to get rid of her. We were joking the other day that we could import "Dominican dogs" and sell them here as a business. She has been a big hit here in Kentucky, but I will say that it is too cold for her here. We have to be careful about leaving her out.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
How about a Pound?

I know the notion of a pound in DR seems ludicrious (I dont want to get into a debate about animal treatment in DR - I beg whoever reads this) Do you know of any in the more tourist (Americanized) areas?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is very illegal to buy or sell a parrot.

Dominican parrots are on the endangered list. Please do not try and buy one. You will just add to the pressure being put on them

There is a whole page of dog sellers in the classified section of the List?n Diario.

HB

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Finally!!

Hillbilly said:
Dominican parrots are on the endangered list. Please do not try and buy one. You will just add to the pressure being put on them

There is a whole page of dog sellers in the classified section of the List?n Diario.

HB

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!
Thanks Hillbilly!!

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Bring a wee cage

Talldrink said:
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!
Thanks Hillbilly!!

If you want to take the dog home with you, bring a small cage that fits into the airplane's overhead compartment or the poor thing will end up in baggage. The small cages are hard to find outside of the big cities. As for strays, I highly recommend them. My own darlin is the toast of the town here in Canada. Whenever someone asks what breed my gorgeous Dominican mutt is, I say he's a rare Dominican Beachhound. Too bad he's fixed. I could have made a fortune selling his babes.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Gabriella, I didnt know they let pets ON the cabin at all! Also, what else do I need to bring the dog back - I know for sure shots and to pay the airline (how much?), any other papers or permits?

Also, when Im on my way, I guess I'll post here and maybe DR1 can be on the lookout for any strays for me...

Thanks!

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Check with your tour guide or airline

Talldrink said:
Gabriella, I didnt know they let pets ON the cabin at all! Also, what else do I need to bring the dog back - I know for sure shots and to pay the airline (how much?), any other papers or permits?

Also, when Im on my way, I guess I'll post here and maybe DR1 can be on the lookout for any strays for me...

Thanks!

My dog just needed the basic vaccines (rabies, etc) started--not even the complete series and a certificate of innoculation. You'll want to test for parasites and worms for your own good. There are lots of excellent vets in the DR. People in the DR tried to talk me into more documents, but they weren't necessary. (Of course if someone at the airport wants something, have some cash available). There was no problem in Canada. At that time, I would have been allowed to put him under my seat, and he was small enough that I could have done that. They now sell pet bags that probably would be perfect--but you'll never find one in the tourist areas of the DR. My dog was about the size of a chihuaha. Look for a starving street dog who's obviously got a litter of pups somewhere along the road. Good luck! :)

amm6

Sep 10, 2003
traveling with dog

I recently shipped my dog from SD.
I had to ship her thru cargo because I did not fly with her.
The actual shipping was almost $200, for my 15lb dog.
I also paid more than $100 for all the papers, carrier, and vet bills.

ammy***

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
amm6 said:
I recently shipped my dog from SD.
I had to ship her thru cargo because I did not fly with her.
The actual shipping was almost $200, for my 15lb dog.
I also paid more than $100 for all the papers, carrier, and vet bills.

ammy***

Where you going to the US? Also, you didnt fly with her by choice, or was this mandatory to send her via cargo?

Thanks...

amm6

Sep 10, 2003
cargo

Well,
I sent my dog thru AA cargo, because I was not traveling with her at the time. You can also bring the dog with you when you fly, but it has to travel in the cargo hold.
Also, there are restricions on shipping or flying with animals. I know they do not ship in the summer, but I dont know those dates. Also, I had to have a letter from the vet stating that my dog could fly in cold temps.
I had her shipped to JFK. If you are too let me know and I can tell you more specifically. Also when shipping thru cargo instead of with you when you fly, you have to have it approved by customs.
let me know if that helps.

ammy***

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Oh my...

Thanks Amy, but the way you described it almost sounds like animal cruelty! In my case, if I cant bring it with me (on the plane, not on board) I will see what I can do, I would much rather not 'ship' the dog.

Amy: Did you say that AA doesnt allow a dog on the cabin or was it b/c you werent traveling along?

Gabriella: What airline did you use?

Thanks guys!

amm6

Sep 10, 2003
Whaaaa ???

Ummm k... I'm speechless on your first comment.....

"Shipping" is not cruel to your pet. Even though they may not like being in the carrier. I really dont know where that idea came from. I would never do anything to harm my dog. You just have to take in consideration the cold and heat factor.
I was just being helpful.........

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Charter

It was probably AirTransat, a charter. While the baggage compartment was not a cruel experience--they put animals on gently, I believe, and take them off so they are waiting for you (that is they don't send them on the baggage ramp), the hold is cold and it is a traumatic experience for a young pup. But don't forget mine had survived the streets of the DR, and was no creampuff. He recovered well--I think it was harder on me, thinking of the poor little guy alone in baggage when he was little enough to fit in my carry on. They let babies sit on your lap. Check.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There are hundreds of thousands of dogs in North American animal shelters!

The only reason I see for bringing back a "Dominican Dog" is your own vanity!Why not "Adopt" a dog from a shelter?Cris Colon