Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Voting by absentee ballots in May...

Does anyone know the process of voting by absentee ballot for the election in May? In particular, is anyone familiar with the process in the US? I would think that the huge amount of Dominicans living abroad could effect the results of the election (if they are able to submit their votes).

If a Dominican is a naturalized American citizen, could they still vote in DR's election? (I am unclear on how dual citizenship works in regards to this).

Any information would be great so that I could pass on to others...

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Dual nationals can vote, but previous registration was necessary. The JCE has yet to communicate about the process of voting abroad.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Voting process

Hi Chris_NJ
    Below I've pasted a message I received. Here in the DC area we did an empoderamiento/voter registration campaing for a few months. You had to have a cedula if you have obtained an approval for dual citizenship by proving you yourself were born in DR and/or your parents were. There is more I would
    look into if I were you but the idea is that you need una cedula amarilla.
    Voter registration deadlines have passed for this election. I do not think el voto del exterior will make a significant impact, maybe, maybe 30-40,000.
    Which is not much. I've heard that Hipolito has made 2 million extra ballots (for what, you tell me). Ideally that is how many Dominicans and descendants live abroad but not all are as linked as we would like to think or hope. Sometimes it takes enough to know what is being done in your own backyard when you are barely trying to make a living.

PEACE
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    La Junta Central Electoral (JCE) me ha informado que todas las personas
    residentes del área de Washington que se registraron en las Jornadas de
    Diciembre y Enero pasados, podrán ejercer el derecho al voto en las mesas
    electorales de la ciudad de Camden, New Jersey (aproximandamente dos horas y media de Washington). De acuerdo a lo que me han informado, la votación se llevará a cabo en:

Abury United Methodist Church
    2926 Westfield Avenue
    Camden, NJ 08105
    Horario: de 6am a 6pm

A más tardar a principios de Abril, la JCE informará a cada individuo por correo
    el número de la mesa electoral que le tocará (habrá varias mesas en el lugar
    arriba mencionado). De acuerdo a la explicación que me dieron, el área de
    Washington no reunió el número mínimo necesario de votantes para establecer una
    mesa, además de que nuestra área escapa a la jurisdicción establecida por la JCE
    para otras oficinas regionales en el exterior.

IMPORTANTE: por favor tengan en cuenta que SOLAMENTE le corresponde a la JCE el
    distribuir la información exacta acerca del lugar de votación, y no al GDP-WASH.
    Así que si alguien tiene alguna pregunta adicional deberá llamar a la Oficina de
    la JCE en New Jersey al número: 973-279-3633

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_NJ
    Does anyone know the process of voting by absentee ballot for the election in May? In particular, is anyone familiar with the process in the US? I would think that the huge amount of Dominicans living abroad could effect the results of the election (if they are able to submit their votes).

If a Dominican is a naturalized American citizen, could they still vote in DR's election? (I am unclear on how dual citizenship works in regards to this).

Any information would be great so that I could pass on to others...