from DR to CUBA ( varadero )

SONIA

Sep 3, 2003
Hello

i need some infos, with wich company can i go to cuba from DR ( puerto-plata ? punta cana ? i'm in north coast i prefer from PP ) ?

I will be in DR for 1 month in july but i have to go for 4 days in cuba for a wedding and come back in DR but i don't know with which company i can do that and not expensive ...

Thanks in advance

Sonia

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Air Cubana

SONIA said:
Hello

i need some infos, with wich company can i go to cuba from DR ( puerto-plata ? punta cana ? i'm in north coast i prefer from PP ) ?

I will be in DR for 1 month in july but i have to go for 4 days in cuba for a wedding and come back in DR but i don't know with which company i can do that and not expensive ...

Thanks in advance

Sonia

As best as I know, Air Cubana is the only airline flying direct to Cuba from here. They do not fly out of POP, only Santo Domingo and it is not inexpensive.

SONIA

Sep 3, 2003
thanks

Rocky said:
As best as I know, Air Cubana is the only airline flying direct to Cuba from here. They do not fly out of POP, only Santo Domingo and it is not inexpensive.

thank you very much !!!!! :laugh:

ok perfect i will contact air cubana, it's not a problem for me to go from santo domingo.

I will try to find the phone number on internet.

bye bye

sonia

Jan 1, 2002
Cubana de Aviacion has flight Thursday and Sunday from Santo Domingo to Havana in IL62

and from Punta Cana to Havana has sunday flight. in 320

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It's Just Cubana

SONIA said:
thank you very much !!!!! :laugh:

ok perfect i will contact air cubana, it's not a problem for me to go from santo domingo.

I will try to find the phone number on internet.

bye bye

sonia

Not "Air Cubana" and their web site (www.cubana.cu) has no schedules (very odd actually) and no way to book online.

AFAIK, they do 2 R/T a week SDQ to HAV. If you go to the web site they have at least 5 phone #'s in the capital and the address is listed. You "may" find it easier to go to the airport if the ticket counter is open but they seem to do that on flight days and calling and going downtown is probably better.

I ran into an New Zealand guy in Boca Chica once who had a hell of a time buying a ticket as they refused credit cards and traveler's cheques (well, his anyway) and wanted US$ cash only so prepare for that - and US Bank credit cards are unlkely to be accepted anyway (not that you'd want to try) and I would think a DR peso card would be refused also.

FYI - unlike flights between HAV and Canada where they use Airbus 320 planes (because the CDN gov't said the other aircraft were not safe enough to enter our airspace, e.g. the Ilyushin and YAK planes) the inter-island flights are on Russian YAK aircraft and personally I'd be leery about that and overall service but for 90 minutes you can hope it's all OK.

SONIA

Sep 3, 2003
ricktoronto said:
Not "Air Cubana" and their web site (www.cubana.cu) has no schedules (very odd actually) and no way to book online.

AFAIK, they do 2 R/T a week SDQ to HAV. If you go to the web site they have at least 5 phone #'s in the capital and the address is listed. You "may" find it easier to go to the airport if the ticket counter is open but they seem to do that on flight days and calling and going downtown is probably better.

I ran into an New Zealand guy in Boca Chica once who had a hell of a time buying a ticket as they refused credit cards and traveler's cheques (well, his anyway) and wanted US$ cash only so prepare for that - and US Bank credit cards are unlkely to be accepted anyway (not that you'd want to try) and I would think a DR peso card would be refused also.

FYI - unlike flights between HAV and Canada where they use Airbus 320 planes (because the CDN gov't said the other aircraft were not safe enough to enter our airspace, e.g. the Ilyushin and YAK planes) the inter-island flights are on Russian YAK aircraft and personally I'd be leery about that and overall service but for 90 minutes you can hope it's all OK.

ok well note

thanks

sonia

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Where to buy ...

I have always purchased my tickets right here in Sosua at a travel agency called Melissa Tours. They do accept credit cards there.
Although the airline consisted only of Russian aircraft, years ago, they have now added a whole bunch of new aircraft manufactured in the "free world".
If I remember correctly, the last time I went there we flew in an Airbus.
Marco.

SONIA

Sep 3, 2003
Stanley Joaqu?n said:
Cubana de Aviacion has flight Thursday and Sunday from Santo Domingo to Havana in IL62

and from Punta Cana to Havana has sunday flight. in 320

do you have an idea about the price ?

thanks

sonia

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Prices.

Readytogo said:
Ricktoronto

How many of these "Russian" aircraft have crashed between Cuba and the Dominican Republic?

The only accident that I know of between Cuba and here was back in '92 when they crashed into Isabela de Torez, and from what I understand it had nothing to do with it being a Russian aircraft, but rather poor visibility late at night. It was a very sad day for the DR, as the entire Dominican international chess team was aboard at the time.

Here's the info from Melissa Tours (809-571-2567). Flights leave from Santo Domingo to Havana on Thursdays and Sundays and cost approx. $440 return. There is no flight direct to Valadero, but you can fly from Havana to Valadero for approx. $100 US. or go by bus.
Marco.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
According to Cubana

Rocky said:
I have always purchased my tickets right here in Sosua at a travel agency called Melissa Tours. They do accept credit cards there.
Although the airline consisted only of Russian aircraft, years ago, they have now added a whole bunch of new aircraft manufactured in the "free world".
If I remember correctly, the last time I went there we flew in an Airbus.
Marco.

It's a YAK. Hopefully not the thing like a buffalo but a plane, though a yak could swim there given enough time. I think Cubana uses whatever they can get approved by the local aviation authorities. Hence A320's for Canada. Hopefully it is a western plane HAV/SDQ. Maybe it is. I'd ask.

As for credit cards, a travel agent may be happy to but Cubana didn't seem to find the idea too great for the NZ guy, and as for the US Gov't you'd want to really insist on a travel agent vs. Cubana anyway in case someone reports it to the feds.