Weddings

Angelita

Jun 4, 2003
To confirm what I have been reading, to marry in the DR, we need passport, birth certificate and status letter, all stamped by the Dominican Consulate AND all three pieces translated in Spanish before arriving? Anything else?

also

We don't want to marry in a Hotel and are not sure exactly what we need to marry in a Cathedral, do we both have to show baptism/confirmation papers to marry in a Church? Other than a Hotel, does anyone know of any special outdoor places, that are common for weddings in Puerto Plata? If we decide on an outdoor wedding, does anyone have a Tel# for a judge (I am not sure what it's called there) one that will speak English also, maybe?? How about a photographer that is good but not crazy expensive? I would like to contact both people if at all possible in the next few days....

one more thing.... To get the Marriage Certificate Validated, do we have to both go to Santo Domingo personally or is there another way to have it validated? and how do they get it to us, if it takes a month?

PS. I have read Debbie's Dominican Travel Site and the DR1 on weddings :0)

Sorry for all the questions, and thank you for your time :0)

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If either of you were divorced, you also need to send your divorce certificate translated to spanish for legalization. I believe that your birth certificates have to be the long form ones with all the details of your parents, etc. This information should be available on the DR Embassy's website for your area. It is also important that you get the requirements for the local area that you want to get married in. Just in case something doesn't jive, you don't want any surprises.

I don't have any information about marrying in the church but I would assume that you would need to speak to the priest of the church you are considering or maybe your priest in your home church could help you.

I would think that the most popular place to get married is on or near the beach. I was married in Sosua last June by DRA. Bienvenida Dumet, she is an Oficial del Estado Civil there and if I recall correctly she speaks english. You may need to contact City Hall to find her contact number or someone here may have it. We used Foto Coral for our wedding fotos, and were very pleased with the results. Their number is 809-571-4544 and they are located in Sosua next to the Texaco at the entrance to El Batey. Reasonably priced.

With regard to the marriage certificate, we received ours the same day and it was officially stamped and signed when we recieved.

There are other options to consider such as hiring a wedding planner or getting married at the resort you are staying. They will take care of everything and it is relatively inexpensive.

Good luck and all the best.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are thinking of getting married in the Roman Catholic Church

You will need to prove that you have attended the pre-nuptial classes they now require. You couldget in contact with my buddy the bishop of Puerto Plata. He's a cool guy that used to say mass at the golf club every sunday Morning....809 970 0177; 586 2484; 586 2754 Ask for Bishop Nicanor Pe?a.

Dra. Bienvenida Dum? is, indeed, the your contact in Sosua for a civil wedding-just as binding in the DR, and she works with all the hotels. She is a little bit ill, so call her office-Spanish only, unless she is there. Try these numbers:571 1030; 571 1390 (best one).

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My wife and I were married at the Hotel Naco in Santo Domingo.

It was a civil ceremony,and the Lady Judge did a great job,including waiting 45 minutes for the Bride to show up! That was almost 9 years,and 3 kids ago,and I am still waiting on my wife!
We put a "Kodac" disposable flash camera at each table,and asked the guests to take pictures! They were some of the best pictires,and many you don't get from the "official" fotog.We also taped a "Dominican" Instant Lottery Game ticket under each plate.Everyone loved that!
Have a Wedding Cake for 300 people,no matter how few you invite! All Dominicans LOVE cake! Everyone wants some,guests,hotel employees,strangers,and wants to take some home too!
Best Wishes! Are we all invited? CCCCCCCCCCCCCris CCCCCCCCCCCColon :cool:

Angelita

Jun 4, 2003
Thank you all...

Thanks for all your help. I will use these contact numbers and see what I can find! I appreciate it very much!

Muchas Gracias :0)