Intl Flights to Barahona Airport?

jeanmarie

Mar 24, 2004
When was the last time there were international flights into the airport in Barahona? Can anyone speculate on whether there is anything in the works to resume these? Was it ever possible to book a flight from NYC to Barahona?

Anyone know the approximate cost for a 1-way Sto Domingo to Barahona?

Any related info would be much appreciated!

S

Stephen

I'd like to add to the question..........

.............anyone know of anyway of flying from Puerto Plata to Barharona?

Thanks

Apr 26, 2002
There have been no commercial passenger flights to the Maria Montez Barahona International Airport for a couple of years. I think it was in 2001 when the DR government incented American Eagle to fly there from San Juan in exchange for allowing that airline to continue flying into the Herrera airport, but operations did not last very long.

The Airport's namesake, the late Canoa native Maria Montez, the "Queen of Technicolor", deserves better.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Please expand

cara said:
My friend
Barahona was a mistake.
Aerodom now say the same

I'm interested in "Barahona was a mistake"--could you explain or expand your post??

JOHN

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Maria Montez airport was built during Balaguer term as an incentive for tourism due to the great distance of Barahona to the nearest airport in Santo Domingo.

Very few hotels have been built so far. It is a shame as Barahona and the southwest in general has alot to offer, and is very different from other areas of the country.

Let's hope in the near future some major investments in tourism will be made and the airport can then start to be used to it's maximum potential.

P.S. I suppose until hotel rooms reach critical mass, no airlines will want to fly there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I am not a frequent visitor to this forum so please accept my apologies for exhuming this thread.

FWIW, I once flew into Barahona airport on an international flight, in March 1998, as a surprise stopover en route from Port au Prince to Santo Domingo. It appeared to be for the sole purpose of providing the ground staff with work experience, or on the job training: they overzealously checked documentation and rifled through luggage. Then we all boarded and flew on to Santo Domingo. It was strange. Nice airport, though.

Chiri

jeanmarie

Mar 24, 2004
Chirimoya said:
I am not a frequent visitor to this forum so please accept my apologies for exhuming this thread.

FWIW, I once flew into Barahona airport on an international flight, in March 1998, as a surprise stopover en route from Port au Prince to Santo Domingo. It appeared to be for the sole purpose of providing the ground staff with work experience, or on the job training: they overzealously checked documentation and rifled through luggage. Then we all boarded and flew on to Santo Domingo. It was strange. Nice airport, though.

Chiri

Thanks for the comment. I gather that Narcosis provided the bottom line- until hotel rooms reach critical mass in the Barahona region passenger flights will not happen. Seems I recall reading about a group of foreign investors planning a luxury-villa/AI type project between Barahona / Paraiso, but I currently can't find any reference to this in Internet searches... Was wondering if the South is destined to remain under-developed relative to the rest of the country and if so, what the underlying reason is (maybe this question belongs in a different forum? my apologies if so...)...