slip and fall

braby

Apr 21, 2004
I have an acquaintance who slipped and fell in a hotel in The Dominican.
Can you tell me the limitation period for this type of potential claim and possibly whether the issue of liability would be similar to anglo-american
legal principles
Thank You

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
One thing that endears DR to me is that a person doesn't sue for overlooking a clearly identifiable hazard. Of course there are exceptions and in some instances they are warranted. I would sell out and move if a suit for spilling hot coffee or slipping next to a wet floor sign was brought. People that bring these types of suits and the lawyers that file them should be kept on a leash as they are clear dangers to themselves. My thoughts and nothing personal since I don't know the facts.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Well!

braby said:
Can you tell me the limitation period for this type of potential claim and possibly whether the issue of liability would be similar to anglo-american
legal principles
Thank You
I slipped and fell while staying at the Jaragua hotel a few years ago and the only thing that I did was to tell the manager about it so he could be aware the the floor was wet and some other person could fall. I had a sharp pain on my shoulder for about 3 days and the only thing that went thru my mind was " sh** happens ". It never crossed my mind to sue anybody because it was an accident. What did it get me after I told the manager?, free beers at the bar and friendlier staff members. He did asked me if I intended to sue since, as he put it, " mainly all tourists would sue even if they are not hurt". I told him that I was not going to do such a thing because there was sign there and it was just an accident and that I was not that hurt. I have better thigs to do than to make my vacation miserable, if you had broken a bone, then it would have been a different story. Besides I would have, probably, spent more money in lawyers than the money that I would have gotten, if any. If your friend was not physically hurt, let it go.

Ps: Before anybody tells you in a very nasty way, it's not The Dominican, there is no such country, it's The Dominican Republic, or DR, or RD. There is a Dominica, but it's still not the DR.

Last edited:

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Just curious...

How would an "anglo-American" have different legal principles than a "non-anglo-American"??? I do believe in the grand ol' USA, all citizens are considered equal under the law.

braby said:
legal principles
Thank You

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
On of my dogs took a bite out of my next door neighbor

last week!She went home,washed it off,and put some antibiotic cream on the wound! I asked her which of the dogs bit her.I told her I would shoot the dog right a way."Never mind" she said."I din't know which one it was,and you shouldn't shoot then all!"
Glad thereare no "Johnny Cockruns in the DR!rans"

My wife was fired from her position as head of the laundry where we both work.She had just returned after her second 3 month "Maternity LOA" in two years.
Her boss said that he wanted to hire a man for her position."They don't menstrate,they don't get pregnant,and they don't take time off to take their sick kids to the Doctor!" was his response.If only we lived in the USA,and she worked for a "Fortune 500 Company"!

There is really no "Liability" here!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The typical response in the DR is "stupid ME! how could I do that?" , whether it's slipping on a floor, falling down steps, stepping into an open manhole, or whatever. The world is a dangerous place.

ALGS

Jul 14, 2003
You're talking about a "quasi-delito", which under Dominican Law has a statute of limitations of 6 months.

US and Dominican Republic liabilities principles are similar but they differ in some points;for example,there is no such thing as punitive damages here in the DR. Also, most liability cases under the DR's Judicial system tend to last as long as 10 to 15 years before any compensation is given. Furthermore, your acquaintance being a foreign person with no residency in the DR ("extranjera transeunte"), would have to pay a significative bail if she wants to sue.(In this case that is).

Good luck

ALGS

msugirl

Apr 16, 2004
not worth time and money

Good luck with a suit against the hotel. There are a number of things that your friend may want to consider before they seek any kind of redress for their injuries (if they actually had any). 1) Jurisdiction- if you are an American or Canadian citizen, it is more than likely you are going to have file your suit in the Dominican Republic unless the owner of the hotel is living in the United States or Canada. If they are you may be able to establish personal jurisdiction over the party if you are a citizen in one of those countries as well. More than likely though, there will be no significant ties to the country for you to bring your suit in your home country. Therefore, if you have to bring the suit in the courts of the Dominican Republic you are going to have to hire a lawyer abroad. This will take time, money and you may have to go down their personally on more than one occasion. 2) It is important to keep in mind that courts of a foreign country may not be receptive to a foreign person coming into their country and making a case against one of their established businesses that contributes to their country? Whether or not the owner of the hotel is a citizen of the Dominican Republic or not, they are contributing to the economy, what are you doing? 3) evidence- unless official reports were made, such as a trip to the hospital for injuries, there is no way of establish when your injuries (once again if there are any) occurred. Technically they could have happened when you stepped off the plane in your home country. Your friend really needs to think about whether it is worth it. My prediction is they will spend a lot of money, get no where fast and ultimately risk getting nothing in the end. BUT good luck if they do go through with it. Tell them to keep us posted in the year 2008 when a judgment is actually entered.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
ALGS is correct. The statute of limitations to sue the hotel is 6 months from the time of the accident.

As a non-resident foreigner, the plaintiff will have to post a bond ("fianza") to sue.

Damage awards in the DR are very low compared to the US.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I wish people would take responsibility for their own actions. If you fall, its because you weren't paying attention. But I guess you see an opportunity to screw the hotel out of some money.

Reminds me of a case in The Bahamas where an American sued a island picnic operation after he fell out of a hammock. The hammock was secured properly, he just got in and fell out, and claimed he wasn't 'given proper instructions' on how to use a hammock.

He tried suing in the US but the courts ruled you have to sue in The Bahamas. He had to put down US$10,000 bond (because you have to pay the defendent's legal fees if you lose), spend about $20,000 in lawyers fees over 4 years until it went to court.

When the time came the judge asked him if the hammock was secured properly, and he replied 'yes, but nobody told me how to use the hammock.' Then the judge asked whether he reads the instructions on the mattress when he lays down at night. He replied an astonished 'no' and the judge dismissed the case.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please Sue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

end thousands on legal fees,aand you will get nothing in the end! Did you land on your head????? All lawyers "Suck",except Kenosha Chris!!!!!CC
I hope you break your neck next time!!! Serves you right!!

HDCarl

Aug 3, 2002
Five years ago I slipped and fell by the pool at Casa Coco in Boca Chica. Caused a nasty concussion and permanent loss of my sense of smell. I never even considered trying to sue. I knew it was slick, I was careless, I paid for it. (I was sober btw, was just leaving the pool to get my first beer of the afternoon, go figure) Luckily it was the last day of my vacation anyway. One of the things I like about the DR is that you are responsible for your own mistakes.

I will be going back to the DR (Samana) next month for vacation and the start of some research into retiring there in a few years.

HDCarl

Parasites and vultures

braby said:
legal principles
Thank You

Have it ever crossed your mind, all off the world are laughing of the american people because of all the PARASITES who are working as lawyers.

I also fell in my hotel last time i was in DR, the roof was leeking because of heavy rain, my foot was rainbow coloured- But why should i act like a vulture.?

An accident is an accident. Please stay in the US for EVER. Hope you get sued for 6000 000us. :angry:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Directed toward Criss colon

Lambada said:
That last remark is a little strong, isn't it? Or does your surname refer not to an historical explorer but to a part of the anatomy? :eek:[/QUOTE

Now that was a low shot directed below the belt!

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
aahh

Criss Colon said:
end thousands on legal fees,aand you will get nothing in the end! Did you land on your head????? All lawyers "Suck",except Kenosha Chris!!!!!CC
I hope you break your neck next time!!! Serves you right!!
second time in 24hrs I agree with you cc. This stupid greedy action of Americans to sue on a whim followed on in the UK, now we have all these dumb companies sueing everybody and all our Insurance premiums have gone up. He probably slipped on bullsh!!