Two more amber shopping questions

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I'm going back to DR this summer and one of the many things i want to buy there is dominican amber. I did a search and i found this thread but i couldn't find answers for the questions i have, which are:

1) Is amber in the shops by the mercado modelo and/or gift shops in avenida mella/calle el conde reliable? other than the museum of amber, that is. If not, which store do you recommend?

2) What should i look for/at when buying amber?

Any other comments/thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I would be leery of ambar sold by other than stores selling quality jewelry. This isn't to say that others might not sell it, but there is more risk. Of course, if you don't know it isn't and your friends and family don't either, I suppose you can be happy with whatever you purchase.

But if I wanted the security of knowing that I had real ambar jewelry, I would buy from a reputable merchant. And that includes the ambar museum. Much of the quality jewelry sold elsewhere is made by their craftsmen.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
thanks ken and alanin.

the thing is, i know nothing about jewelry so i'd be easily lured. i want to buy quality dominican amber, so that's why i asked. i have a design in particular in my mind but i couldn't find it on the online catalog at museum of ambar. i hope they have a bigger variety in the actual shop :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Show them exactly what you want and they will fabricate it for you.